PDA

View Full Version : My Holidays

julieanne
15-10-2004, 16:49
I thought I’d better start the trip report before Tyson gets back and does his. I’m sure his report will by far out do mine!!

Here goes…..

Thursday 23rd September

Holiday starts here. [clap]
Travelled to Manchester for an overnight stay – this meant avoiding any last minute delays and the chance to have a few pints followed by a few glasses of Baileys in the pub [drinkbeer] .

Friday 24th September

We were on the later (13.00) Virgin flight so there was plenty of time for shopping and bacon sarnis.
Flight pretty much on time. Landed in Orlando in brilliant sunshine but by the time we’d collected luggage and the car we drove off in the rain. Despite having read lots about Charley, Frances & Ivan still found it difficult to believe the number of blue tarps and battered properties visible from SR417. But the biggest shock of all was on turning off the 192 to our friends villa. [msnoo] The road is normally dark even on the sunniest of days due to the number of trees on either side. Not any more!! Most of the trees were down revealing a couple of properties we didn’t know existed. Even when leaving 7 days later we had not got used to the new “landscape”.

Checked the villa out and all seemed to be ok. Noticed the patio furniture was in the garage but due to excitement and tiredness didn’t give it too much thought – although tomorrow the reason would become all too obvious. Our villa had survived better than several of the neighbouring properties.
Quickly unpacked then off to eat at Perkins & do a food shop at Publix. After unpacking the shopping we were glad to collapse into bed.

Saturday 25th September

Awoke bright and early. Couldn’t quite believe it when I heard the radio presenter talking about stocking up and preparing for the hurricane. So switched on the TV for the first time and sure enough it was true. Back to Publix for extra groceries, batteries, torches, candles, water etc etc. There were a few people buying similar items but there were no signs of panic buying. As we were leaving they were putting boards out advising the store would be closing at 3pm due to Jeanne.

Went for breakfast at IHOP while deciding what to do with the day.
Didn’t stray too far from home, wandered around the factory stores at LBV and then onto Crossroads. Had to make sure McDonalds were still there and were not as obsessed with “healthy” eating as they seem to be in the UK these days.
Went on to Premium Outlets – they were due to close at 5pm. Spotted lots of potential future purchases…
Before going home we called at Subway on Vineland for a few foot-long sarnis for extra sustenance. The Publix store there was just closing – or I should say trying to. It was chaos – staff were having a real hard time trying to close the doors. The checkout lines inside looked to stretch right to the back of the store. Cars were pulling up, parking anywhere and their desperate drivers pleading to be let in……

Packed a bag with medicals, passports etc and a change of clothes in case we had to make a quick exit. And also prepared a closet as a “storm room”. Emptied it and then piled lots of cushions, pillows and spare duvets in there along with torches and the radio.
As prepared as we felt we could be we then spent the evening eating, drinking & watching TV. As the storm was expected to hit at midnight we decided we should stay up. Started to rain and the wind picked up but nothing too untoward. The time the worst was expected over Kissimmee changed from 2am to 4am to 6am - so we ended up being up all night. Fortunately the power remained on, other than the odd 10 minute outage every 2 hours or so. But I think we should have found ourselves a couple of good films to watch as watching the TV storm coverage made it all the more scary. Getting & replying to lots of text messages from home from people who were watching coverage on FOX made me feel as if everyone I knew was as good as there with me.

Sunday 26th September

6am and as I said previously we were still awake. By now we had water coming through windows and

LiesaAnna
15-10-2004, 17:26
wow j
i take it everyone was ok??
how scarey and exciting kind of...............
hope all was well with the villa after?
hope to hear it gets better????????????

[grouphug]

Nostromo
15-10-2004, 20:15
It sounds like a very different place from the sunny Orlando we saw in April! Thank goodness that you managed to have some fun. Never tried Bang-Bang Chicken Shrimp. What's it like?

E. Cosgrove
15-10-2004, 20:41
Juileanne
you don't say if this was your first trip to Florida. if so what an initition ceremony!!!
Hope the trip gets better...looking forward to your report.[msnoo]

Madabouttigger
15-10-2004, 22:46
Hi julieanne,

Im flying out of Manchester in March and was planning a stop over the night before, can you recommend the hotel you used?

Diane.

julieanne
16-10-2004, 04:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
It sounds like a very different place from the sunny Orlando we saw in April! Thank goodness that you managed to have some fun. Never tried Bang-Bang Chicken Shrimp. What's it like?
[/quote]

Bit like a Thai curry (obviously with chicken & shrimps!!). Absolutely wonderful.......[msntongue]

julieanne
16-10-2004, 04:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Juileanne
you don't say if this was your first trip to Florida. if so what an initition ceremony!!!
Hope the trip gets better...looking forward to your report.[msnoo]
[/quote]

Far from my first trip - I lose count. Think it was my 14th/15th trip...

julieanne
16-10-2004, 04:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
Hi julieanne,

Im flying out of Manchester in March and was planning a stop over the night before, can you recommend the hotel you used?

Diane.
[/quote]

Hi Diane

We stayed at a Premier Lodge in Handforth (cos it's the closest to where we park the car). But there are lots of places where you can stay that include car parking.