PDA

View Full Version : Shipping belongings

Frosty
15-10-2004, 14:20
Hi Everyone.

Has any of you expats gone through the hassle of shipping out your belongings?

If you have, who did you use, how much did it cost and did you have any problems?
Any info gratefully accepted.

Regards,

chrizzy100
15-10-2004, 17:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Hi Everyone.

Has any of you expats gone through the hassle of shipping out your belongings?

If you have, who did you use, how much did it cost and did you have any problems?
Any info gratefully accepted.

Regards,
[/quote]

We shipped most of our stuff over....but to be honest if you're paying for shipping yourself....its cheaper to buy new over here........we had the company paying... so money was no object.....we had no problems........nothing damaged and we have a bowed glass unit from Italy which I never thought would make it over in one piece...the bowed glass can crack just standing in a room if its not hung right....but it got here in one piece.........:D

esprit
15-10-2004, 19:21
I lost all my pictures and mirrors. They just never arrived and the shippers never found them. Perosnally I think they were nicked. I got the insurance but there was an excess you cant replace pictures with money. When I unpacked mine, three months after I got here, I thought whay the hell have I bought all this stuff with me for. Half of it I had forgotten I had packed and frankly didnt need and the other half, well it didnt fit that well in a Floridian home anyway. Take a small part of a container and take family pictures and treasured ornaments and put the rest in an auction would be my advice. A full container will cost you in the region of £5000 and you can buy brand new everything you need and more for that, not to mention having to sit on the floor for months on end waiting for it to arrive.

Frosty
15-10-2004, 19:51
Thanks for that.

I never did plan on bringing furniture etc, more pictures and small trinkets etc, but stuff that would be too much to carry on a flight.

Really just after a recommendation for a company for a large box type of thing. Also any problems with customs etc.

Must admit Chrizzy i am a bit worried about using them to carry pictures if they lose stuff.
Thing is there must be a suitcase alone, with just photos and negatives, what do i do if they go[msncry]

Regards,

chrizzy100
15-10-2004, 20:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Thanks for that.

I never did plan on bringing furniture etc, more pictures and small trinkets etc, but stuff that would be too much to carry on a flight.

Really just after a recommendation for a company for a large box type of thing. Also any problems with customs etc.

Must admit Chrizzy i am a bit worried about using them to carry pictures if they lose stuff.
Thing is there must be a suitcase alone, with just photos and negatives, what do i do if they go[msncry]

Regards,
[/quote]

I can't remember who we used.....hubby may remember.....we had a box of things that maybe hard to get through customs... swords and knifes mostly...all came through OK.....

esprit
15-10-2004, 22:07
I used Robinsons but not sure I would recommend them. Any treasured pictures and photos, try and bring in with you in a suitcase. If you fly scheduled, you have a good luggage allowance. I made my husband dismantle the oil painting he bought me on Bali for our silver wedding and bring it in in hand luggage rolled up. Goodness knows why I did that, some second sense? ( he thought I was mad). As it is, it is the only picture from home I still have and I would have been gutted if I had lost that in the shipping. The mirror they lost I got from Hong Kong and was irreplacable. I got %70 insurance money for it to buy one in WalMart, it isnt the same....

Frosty
17-10-2004, 23:23
Thanks guys

andrewmckay5
17-10-2004, 23:53
Frosty,
where abouts in the UK are you based; I know some companies aroung surrey/middx.
andrew

Frosty
18-10-2004, 20:18
Hi Andrew,

I'm afraid for my sins i come from Leeds[clap]