PDA

View Full Version : Extended US stay

tinyburst
14-10-2004, 01:34
Is it possible to stay in the US for longer than the 6 months permitted using the visitors' visa? If you can prove that you would be self financing from savings and pension would it make any difference?

TIA

Tiny

chrizzy100
14-10-2004, 01:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tinyburst
Is it possible to stay in the US for longer than the 6 months permitted using the visitors' visa? If you can prove that you would be self financing from savings and pension would it make any difference?

TIA

Tiny

[/quote]

Well you can't retire here.....which is what having savings and a pension is.......

There was a topic on this a while ago.......I think it got a bit heated......people saying all different things....you could try doing a search for that and see if you can make head or tail out of it.....

I think this is the link.......its about retiring but it could be useful........
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=11387&whichpage=1

steph_goodrum
14-10-2004, 02:20
Tiny
You might get away with it ONCE, till they found you, but I think they would be very reluctant to let you back in the country again if you did.
Besides which I dont know if you realise but if you stay for more than 180 days in 3 years (using a formula they have which is so many percent of current year + percentage of 2 previous years, then all your worldwide income is subject to US taxation.
People have been refused entry for overstaying on Visa and visa waiver by just a few minutes over their allotted time in the not too distant past.

esprit
14-10-2004, 05:48
A B2 visa is granted for 6 months. It is possible to apply to extend it for a further 6 months providing you can show that there is a good reason for doing so. You would need to explain in detail the reasons for the extension; why the extended stay would be temporary; arrangements made to depart; and the effect the extended stay would have on your foreign employment and residency, also provide a statement of financial eligibility. This is the sort of thing that can be done once only. They are wised up on people continually endeavouring to extend their visa. At the end of the extended stay, you would need to leave and come back in as a normal B2 traveller.
There was a thread on here where someone argued that by coming and going on visa waiver, he could clock up more than 180 days in a year in the US, therefore more than he could on B2. There were varying opinions on this and the conclusion was that the US embassy website is silent on the point and only says it is down to the immigration officers opinion of whether you are a bona fide visitor for the purposes of tourism or someone trying to move in semi permanently by the back door.

Robert5988
14-10-2004, 17:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:There was a thread on here where someone argued that by coming and going on visa waiver, he could clock up more than 180 days in a year in the US, therefore more than he could on B2. There were varying opinions on this and the conclusion was that the US embassy website is silent on the point and only says it is down to the immigration officers opinion of whether you are a bona fide visitor for the purposes of tourism or someone trying to move in semi permanently by the back door.[/quote]

I was that person! Although I am not certain if resurection of that discussion is relevant to the original question in this thread.

The US Embassy website is not silent on this point and below is the quote posted by Blott.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I've copied below the current wording on the American Embassy website at http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/faqs/niv/faq_visafreetravel.htm#nineteen

Is there a limit to the number of times I may travel to the United States visa free in any given period of time?

There is no limit to the number of times you may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program in any given period. There is also no minimum period of time you are required to remain outside the U.S. before reapplying for admission. However, if you are a frequent traveler to the United States you should be sure to carry with you for presentation to U.S. immigration evidence of your residence abroad to which you intend returning at the end of your visit together with evidence of funds sufficient for your support while in the United States. If the oficer of the USCIS is not convinced that you are a bona visitor for business or tourism, you can be denied entry.
[/quote]

Clearly the crux of the matter is satisfying the authorities that "you are a bona visitor for business or tourism" Provided you can, and comply with all the other criteria, there is no reason why you cannot spend more than 6 months in a year in the USA.

Robert5988
14-10-2004, 17:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Besides which I dont know if you realise but if you stay for more than 180 days in 3 years (using a formula they have which is so many percent of current year + percentage of 2 previous years, then all your worldwide income is subject to US taxation.
[/quote]

Steph,
Without researching that statement(my literature is in UK and I am in the USA) that is not my understanding if you do not derive income from the USA. - I refer to the 180 days in 3 years - but I stand to be corrected! Could you point us toward that regulation please.

Anyway with the 'double tax' arrangement between UK and USA tax authorities you do not pay full tax in both countries - only to the level of whichever is the highest. As UK generally has higher rates it would be acedemic if you paid a portion of tax to the USA.

blott
14-10-2004, 17:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Read here http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html#d0e604 or check with your US accountant.

Substantial Presence Test

You will be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
1. All the days you were present in the current year, and
2. % of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
3. % of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

Example.

You were physically present in the United States on 120 days in each of the years 2001, 2002, and 2003. To determine if you meet the substantial presence test for 2003, count the full 120 days of presence in 2003, 40 days in 2002 (% of 120), and 20 days in 2001 (% of 120). Since the total for the 3-year period is 180 days, you are not considered a resident under the substantial presence test for 2003.[/quote]

steph_goodrum
14-10-2004, 18:26
Thanks Blott, I knew I'd read it but didnt know if I could find out where.

esprit
14-10-2004, 19:20
We would all be interested to know how many days you manage to clock up in the US on visa waiver and with how much difficulty, Robert. Not for me, as you know I am here permanently but for others like the original poster who obviously wants more time in the US than the six months on B2 visa. Perhaps you could report back in a few months.

tinyburst
15-10-2004, 00:01
Thank you for all your help so far.

My step daughter (I have been married to her mother since my SD was 11) is a now a US citizen. Could she sponsor my wife and me for a green card? If so how long does the application take from start to finish?

Would it harm our chances of a green card if we apply for a B2 visa?

Thank you

Tiny

Robert5988
15-10-2004, 03:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We would all be interested to know how many days you manage to clock up in the US on visa waiver and with how much difficulty, Robert. Not for me, as you know I am here permanently but for others like the original poster who obviously wants more time in the US than the six months on B2 visa. Perhaps you could report back in a few months.[/quote]

I have visited the USA 10 times in the last 18 months - each time on a Visa Waiver allowing a 3 months stay. In the last calander year I have stayed 22 weeks. I expect to follow this pattern of 6 or 7 visits a year each visit for approx 3 weeks.

I have had absolutely no problems with US immigration at any of the gateway airfields I have entered. I am not ruling out a '3rd degree' at some point but I meet the criteia for the VWS so am not worried other than any delay could cause me to miss my connection!!

Robert5988
15-10-2004, 03:50
Blott,
Thanks for that. However even if you do meet the criteria for the aggregate 183 days in 3 years that does not mean you will automatically have to pay US tax. The same link gives the following exception

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Closer Connection to a Foreign Country
Even if you meet the substantial presence test, you can be treated as a nonresident alien if you:

Are present in the United States for less than 183 days during the year,

Maintain a tax home in a foreign country during the year, and

Have a closer connection during the year to one foreign country in which you have a tax home than to the United States (unless you have a closer connection to two foreign countries, discussed next).

Closer connection to two foreign countries. You can demonstrate that you have a closer connection to two foreign countries (but not more than two) if you meet all of the following conditions.
You maintained a tax home beginning on the first day of the year in one foreign country.

You changed your tax home during the year to a second foreign country.

You continued to maintain your tax home in the second foreign country for the rest of the year.

You had a closer connection to each foreign country than to the United States for the period during which you maintained a tax home in that foreign country.

You are subject to tax as a resident under the tax laws of either foreign country for the entire year or subject to tax as a resident in both foreign countries for the period during which you maintained a tax home in each foreign country.

Tax home. Your tax home is the general area of your main place of business, employment, or post of duty, regardless of where you maintain your family home. Your tax home is the place where you permanently or indefinitely work as an employee or a self-employed individual. If you do not have a regular or main place of business because of the nature of your work, then your tax home is the place where you regularly live. If you do not fit either of these categories, you are considered an itinerant and your tax home is wherever you work.

For determining whether you have a closer connection to a foreign country, your tax home must also be in existence for the entire current year, and must be located in the same foreign country to which you are claiming to have a closer connection.

Foreign country. In determining whether you have a closer connection to a foreign country, the term “foreign country” means:
Any territory under the sovereignty of the United Nations or a government other than that of the United States,

The territorial waters of the foreign country (determined under U.S. law),

The seabed and subsoil of those submarine areas which are adjacent to the territorial waters of the foreign country and over which the foreign country has exclusive rights under international law to explore and exploit natural resources, and

Possessions and territories of the United States.

Establishing a closer connection. You will be considered to have a closer connection to a foreign country than the United States if you or the IRS establishes that you have maintained more significant contacts with the foreign country than with the United States. In determining whether you have maintained more significant contacts with the foreign country than with the United States, the facts and circumstances to be considered include, but are not limited to, the following.
The country of residence you designate on forms and documents.

The types of official forms and documents you file, such as Form W–9, Form W–8BEN, or Form W–8ECI.

The location of:

Your permanent home,

Your family,

Your personal belongings, such as cars, furniture, clothing, and jewelry,

Your current social, political, cultural, or religious affiliations,

Your business activities (other than those that constitute your tax home),

The jurisdiction in which you hold a driver's license, and

The jurisdicti

esprit
15-10-2004, 19:33
A US citizen can file for a green card for a parent. Time depends on which service center you file at. The one for Florida for example is Texas and they are currently considering applications filed in June 2003 so you are looking 15 months or so. See https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/Processtimes.jsp?SeviceCenter=Texas. The process has been MUCH longer since 9/11 as they now go through everyone with a fine toothcomb and seemingly havent taken any more staff on. You can apply to change status from one visa to another so getting a B2 first wont detriment you providing of course you dont overstay.

tinyburst
16-10-2004, 02:30
Thank you for the helpful reply. Am I correct in thinking that after the 15 month wait the service centre issues a visa number then we will be called to the US embassy in London for our interviews etc. How much longer does this second processing take? <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
A US citizen can file for a green card for a parent. Time depends on which service center you file at. The one for Florida for example is Texas and they are currently considering applications filed in June 2003 so you are looking 15 months or so. See https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/Processtimes.jsp?SeviceCenter=Texas. The process has been MUCH longer since 9/11 as they now go through everyone with a fine toothcomb and seemingly havent taken any more staff on. You can apply to change status from one visa to another so getting a B2 first wont detriment you providing of course you dont overstay.
[/quote]