PDA

View Full Version : Soarin'

millie
13-10-2004, 22:51
Just saw on a site that Soarin will be opening at Epcot in May 2005. Just in time for us to see it!!!! [msnsmile2]

Nostromo
14-10-2004, 01:37
Yes and WOW! This sounds like an even bigger crowd puller than the new rides coming up ay MGM and AK. Trouble is, I won't be able to see it till Oct 2007, when I am scheduled to go again.

WR1
14-10-2004, 11:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by millie
Just saw on a site that Soarin will be opening at Epcot in May 2005. Just in time for us to see it!!!! [msnsmile2]
[/quote]
Sorry what is Soarin?

brizzle
14-10-2004, 12:15
Soarin' over California.
It is a replica of the one in Dineyland.
It simulates you flying over California in a hand-glider, with a few little bumps and dips to make you feel as if you are really there.
Would have been nice to be Soarin' over Florida but maybe an upgrade in a few years will sort that 'penny pinching' [}:)]

All these things opening next year *and* the 50th celebrations and I think I may just have to schedule another visit as soon as we return in December. Oh and then there's Everest at AK opening in 2006 so that's the year after too sorted [msnsmile2]

Brizzle

Newhomebuyer
14-10-2004, 12:19
It's the new ride in the Land pavilion based on a popular ride from California. It's a giant projection screen and theatre which rises and falls to give spectacular views of the famous sites of California.
There are other features to intensify the experience such as scents and smells.

steph_goodrum
14-10-2004, 14:20
You sit in seats which are suspended to make it seem more realistc and was one of the rides we enjoyed most at Disneyland California.

WR1
14-10-2004, 16:10
Thank's sounds good, we'll look for this on our next trip.[msnsmile]

WR

CERICROWLEY
14-10-2004, 16:45
Is it like those 360 degrees show. They make me YUUUHHHH!!![V][sick]

steph_goodrum
14-10-2004, 18:23
Ceri
No its' probably closest to something like the Wild Arctic "helicopter ride" at Sea World, or back to the future where you are watching a screen in front of you but it gives the sensation of flying.

Nostromo
15-10-2004, 00:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Ceri
No its' probably closest to something like the Wild Arctic "helicopter ride" at Sea World, or back to the future where you are watching a screen in front of you but it gives the sensation of flying.
[/quote]

From what I've heard, the special effects are state of the art. It is going to be more like Mission Space for VR effects. Can't wait to go on it! My next trip to Orlando might be in 2007, but I am sure I can think of an excuse to go to California before then! ;)

Ruth
15-10-2004, 03:50
Sounds brilliant:D

CarolAnn
17-10-2004, 00:24
Sounds like a fab attraction[clap]Definately one for my daughter[msneek][msneek]Well she would like it the most[laugh]

bluebirds
19-10-2004, 00:38
Does anybody know what part of May 2005 Soarin' opens? We are going out on May 21st and are scheduling in Epcot. What is the height limit on the attraction that they use in California?

tinkerbell
21-10-2004, 12:36
Soarin' is absolutely brilliant! I went on it in Cali when first opened and it was one of the highlights of the park as far as I was concerned!

I can't wait to see it at Epcot!

bluebirds
15-01-2005, 19:14
Read in one of the Sunday papers that Soarin is due to open about the 5th May 2005. Don't quote me though. You can never believe what you read.

Ray&Sarah
15-01-2005, 19:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
Read in one of the Sunday papers that Soarin is due to open about the 5th May 2005. Don't quote me though. You can never believe what you read.
[/quote]

Should be one to check out in the summer then.[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
15-01-2005, 21:50
Oh no, Wild Arctic, back to the Future, Body Wars and Star tours are all no no's for me[msnsad][sick][sick][sick]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Ceri
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
15-01-2005, 21:52
Is that the new stunt show at MGM or is there a new ride as well?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Yes and WOW! This sounds like an even bigger crowd puller than the new rides coming up ay MGM and AK. Trouble is, I won't be able to see it till Oct 2007, when I am scheduled to go again.
[/quote]

Newhomebuyer
16-01-2005, 12:55
It's a new ride at AK (Everest) and the stunt show at MGM. Soarin is a new ride in the Land Pavilion at Epcot.

tezz7628
16-01-2005, 19:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
Does anybody know what part of May 2005 Soarin' opens? We are going out on May 21st and are scheduling in Epcot. What is the <span style="color:red">height limit</span id="red"> on the attraction that they use in California?
[/quote]

just seen a small video of it on disney site

says height will be 40", chairs bit like those canopy swing chairs they have on porches

chunkichik
16-01-2005, 19:22
Never mind height limit, what about WEIGHT limit!!! I don't want to make the Orlando Sentinel headlines are breaking it[msnoo]

KJH
17-01-2005, 01:59
Dont worry I'll let my other half try it for you first, then let you know.[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

CarolAnn
24-04-2005, 21:48
OK Guys! We went on Soarin in Epcot last Friday, special guests only last weekend:D And my assessment is.... LOVE IT!!!!!! My daughter and I went on it 4 times!!!! What no queue? It was really good, and very realistic, you really do feel as if you are in a hand glider over Califonia!! We couldn't resist a few goes, as we knew that when we return in October this year it could well be a little busier!! They are obviously expecting it to be a big hit as the tunnel leading to the attraction inside the Land pavillion seemed to go on for ever! It was a little eery being in the Land with no, food cort open, and all other attarctions in there closed to! We were told 6th May for the grand opening, not sure if that will change, but May looks like it will be the month for sure! Go and enjoy folks!!

kaysvacationvilla
25-04-2005, 04:16
Soarin was AWESOME!! We went on it 2 times. At the time is was only open to yearly pass holders, however we went on Friday they had opened it up to everyone.

nicklangdon
25-04-2005, 20:23
so looking forward to this ride!!!!!!![clap]

Southsider
25-04-2005, 21:26
Is Sorin a Rollacoaster?? Do you have any pics of it?:D

Tricia

CarolAnn
27-04-2005, 12:03
Hi Tricia, No Soarin is NOT a roller coaster, I am a frustrated coaster maniac( In other words, I would love to go on one, but in 14 years , just can't quite get up the courage to do it!!), so rides like Soarin are perfect for me. You are sitting in a seat inside the attraction, you wear a lap belt, and the seating does move you into position, I would describe it as the next generation of the 360 style films that are around Disney, in that you do move slightly to add very effectively to the overall experience of the attraction, but as it is more of an IMAX movie experience you know you are safe at all times. You feel as if you are gently riding a hand glider over Califonia's main sights including the Golden Gate Bridge and Disneyland at night. They audience were very vocal with their Ohhs are arghhhssss, and many did go back on, like us [msnwink]I would recommend for everyone, it is spectacular and effective[msnsmile2]Good for all the family, there was a height restriction because the seat you are in does lift up into the air, and moves slightly.

Sally D
27-04-2005, 13:57
This sounds like my kind of ride. Can't wait to try it in October.

Southsider
27-04-2005, 15:34
Thanks CarolAnn, I look forward to getting on that one - the only rollacoaster that I can go on is the Rockin-Roll -a -coaster, and the reason I first went in that was my horrible kids told me it was virtual ride, but I have to say that I do love it:D

bluebirds
27-04-2005, 18:36
does anybody know what the height restriction is for Soarin? I am not sure if my 6 year old will be tall enough.

CarolAnn
27-04-2005, 18:50
Hi Bluebirds,

I am unsure of the height restriction, but they had a special lap belt for a young girl that went on in our row, it effectively came between the legs to meet the belt that the rest of us had on, to ensure little guests didn't slide out, she barely looked 6.
You are suspended above the ground ( tip: as you enter the ride, the rows in the front of the room will be higher in the stack than the rows at the back),not that it makes any difference to the experience, except you can see the legs of the people that had been in the row in front of you, suspended above you, if you look!!
Tricia - If you can go on Rockin Roller coaster you will certainly be fine on this, more enjoyable, look out for the interesting smells too [msnwink] Clever ol Disney!!

Sue and Jere
27-04-2005, 21:47
Can't wait to try it, sounds great and being in one of my favourite parks is a bonus!!!

StuartTurner
30-04-2005, 18:07
Sorain is running a soft opening now for anybody in Florida this week. The official date of the ribbon cutting is 5th May. Went on it yesterday, queues were only 20 mins and the ride is fantastic. Definately one to go on.

bluebirds
30-04-2005, 23:10
Hopefully my youngest can go on. It sounds fantastic. It is a bonus that it will be open for our trip in May.[sporty][clap][beer]

StuartTurner
01-05-2005, 18:05
There is a height restriction of 40" on Soarin.

CarolAnn
03-05-2005, 18:07
Stuart, do you know if the rest of the pavillion is opening at the same time as Soarin? It was all closed when we went on the Soarin ride on 17th April, it was a bit eery actually, and it is one of our fav places to eat too!!

Brownfields
03-05-2005, 19:22
The official opening for Soarin is May 5th but when we went to Epcot on Thursday 21st April they were testing the ride. They only had 1 theatre open that day and we had to wait for about 30 minutes but later in the day the queue was 80 minutes long. We enjoyed the ride - worth a visit! Especially the smell of oranges when you fly through the orange grove.

Caroline & Nick
http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1394.aspx

KevinT
28-05-2005, 02:49
Went on Soarin' a couple of days ago. Absolutely stunning!! We went stright back and queued again for it. At one point as you soar over the PGA golf course one of the players hits a ball that comes right for you and everyone ducks !!:D

Very Highly recommended.

feathersonline
28-05-2005, 03:14
Must be just me then that thought it was dull....[:I]

KevinT
28-05-2005, 16:44
Dull!! Crikey!! Maybe I'm older than I feel[:O]
That must have been you I saw standing on one leg on the front seat of The Hulk eating an ice cream and shouting "Look Mum - No hands"!!:D:D

feathersonline
28-05-2005, 17:04
You forgot the can of coke in the other hand!!![msnsmile2][msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
That must have been you I saw standing on one leg on the front seat of The Hulk eating an ice cream and shouting "Look Mum - No hands"!!:D:D
[/quote]

KevinT
28-05-2005, 21:20
I wondered what hit me on the head after the first loop!!:D

feathersonline
28-05-2005, 21:41
I wondered what hit me on the head after the first loop!!:D
[/quote]

Sorry - thought it was all clear below...[msnwink]

CarolAnn
28-05-2005, 23:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by feathersonline
You forgot the can of coke in the other hand!!![msnsmile2][msnwink]

[/quote]
[/quote]
LOL:D
If you are a thrill seeker, quite right guys ..you need to stick to "Small World"[msnwink]
Sticking to my guns here, still think Soarin is a fab ride, maybe we were a little spoilt with our access back in April?? Glad we got on it a couple of times in 20 mins, still think it will be too packed in October, I am not big on queuing:(

chrizzy100
29-05-2005, 00:56
My hubby thought The Mummy was boring......a bit of a let down....

Leskw06
28-06-2005, 01:21
Hey everyone,

I'm just back from Florida and I've got to say that if u get a chance to go to Epcot, head to Soarin' first.

It's one amazing ride and I would have like to go back on myself but the queues where too long as I was heading off to MGM.

Lesley

nicklangdon
28-06-2005, 01:38
I think soarin is great and went on it 3 times! Can't wait until we go again in January it's one of my favourites.[msnsmile2]

ahagan
18-08-2005, 14:41
Soarin is definitely a great ride. Would have gone on it more times if the queues weren't that long. But it was well worth the wait and I would highly recommend it.

eastcoastbranch
20-08-2005, 16:28
Seen Soarin on the tv last night on the holiday program. Looks great. We`ll be on that one the next time we go. Not been to epcot for two years but it is one of our favourite parks. Now need to decide when to go back this year.
Hannah.

esprit
20-08-2005, 19:13
Remember if the queue is long for Soarin you can always fastpass it. So go early in the day before they run out.

eastcoastbranch
21-08-2005, 03:07
Thanks Julie, that`s what we`ll do.
Hannah

Lyn
24-08-2005, 18:49
Yes we thought Soarin was great, I don't like roller coasters they make me ill, but Soarin was fantastic.

millie
24-08-2005, 22:52
Loved soarin! Thought i would not as i don't like simulators but this was amazing. I loved going over the citrus trees - I actually pulled up my feet in case the trees hit them! At the same time so did my little girl - she was convinced they were actually there.

And the ending is spectacular (not going to spoil it!;))

CarolAnn
24-08-2005, 23:04
I am glad that Soarin got more of a Thumbs UP than DOWN, I really loved it!! Hope I can convince hubby to get on it in October, I think he will love it....We were VERY spoilt when we went on in April, it was only open to DVC members at the time, but didn't notice they had put in fastpass machines ready for it Julie, so will definately go get one bright and early for October, i think it is worth it!!:D

walden64
25-08-2005, 02:22
We did Soarin this morning - arrived at Epcot at 9.15 everyone except myself went straight to Mission Space I went and got fast passes for Soarin for 10.12 - 11.12 managed to do Test Track in between. Then straight onto Soarin - great ride. No real queues earlier today for anything except Test Track (70 min's by mid-day.

Michelle

jo-anne
27-08-2005, 15:58
Just to warn you all that although Soarin' is a simulator and you know in your head that you aren't really that high up........ the special effects are so amazing that you really feel as if you are up there. There are warnings for people who are afraid of heights but maybe you doesn't take the warnigs seriously enough because you know it's a simulator...... For people who don't like heights it is VERY realistc and very frightening. I only just held myself together for the sake of my young daughter who was sitting next to me (she loved it!) but at the end of the ride I burst into tears because I really thought I was going to fall off.
The people who have posted so far are clearly braver than me! But I felt I ought to add a note of caution for any one scared of heights - it is truly terrifying.
Jo-Anne

becbecs
27-08-2005, 17:01
Well due to Katrina we had to return from Key LArgo early, so we did a final day at Epcot and Soarin again, is this just one of the best and spectacular rides you have ever done, our Kids think its the best. Nice one Disney [clap]

ravtino
28-09-2005, 02:48
I felt a bit panicky as I don't like hieght but I enjoyed it and will do it again in December:D

lynn and ray
28-09-2005, 23:09
Cant wait to try soarin.

Is it anything like back to the future but with your legs dangling?

Or nothing like that!!

Patkin
08-10-2005, 16:11
Just got back from Florida, Soarin's is brillaint, the effects, the music, deffinatly worth while getting a fast pass for, by the way, when checking to see what waiting time there is there, sometimes this did not reflect actual waiting time, for example it said 60 mins on enterance to the park and we waited about 30 mins (I know, big deal....lol)
My wife does not like hieghts, and kept her eyes closed for the 1st couple of mins of the ride, but she got brave opened her eyes and thought the ride was fantastic, afterwards she went back on 5 times during our holiday in fact every chance we went anyway near to Epcot..
It is a brilliant experience.[clap][clap][clap]

linsan
08-10-2005, 19:01
I'm just back from Florida and went on Soarin. As I don't like heights at all, I was very anxious but after my initial panic I loved it. It is very realistic but I felt the ride was very smooth and graceful - like gliding. There were no sudden jumps or swerves to unnerve me. Will definitely be going back on it on our next visit. By the way we got fast passes as the queues were long.

eastcoastbranch
11-01-2006, 23:21
Managed to go on Soarin in December and it was Fantastic. I would recommend it to everyone.
Hannah.

ALR
11-01-2006, 23:29
[clap][clap][clap][clap]We all loved Soarin! Can't wait to go back. Hubby and son prefer test track though

luckylady
15-01-2006, 15:23
Soarin was good but the waiting was tooo long for me

Steve and Dawn
15-01-2006, 15:23
Yes Soarin' is excellent. Though you have to be there early for a fast pass when the parks are busy we went thanksgiving weekend and all fast passes were allocated by 10.00am! I would say it will be like that till the newness wears off. We can expect the same when Conquest Everest opens.

carynwillson
28-01-2006, 15:53
Good Morning, I agree with Steve and Dawn, we went to Epcot yesterday to go on Soarin, we arrived at 4pm and the wait time was 70minutes, got the fast pass which was for 6.48 - 7.48, so did the rest of the park and had dinner before we returned to the ride, the wait was still 70 minutes, but with the Fast Pass we walked straight on after only a 5 minute wait. The ride was fantastic, but one hiccup, we got stuck at the end and sat suspended in mid air for about 8 minutes. Didn't bother us though, we were brought down and given another fast pass, so as we were not parking again, walked straight round, did it again, enjoyed it just as much, no hiccups this time. Well worth getting the fast pass on arrival and going to see everything else first. The line was long I would imagine due to the major attractions being closed for refurb. We had a great day

Jackie38
13-03-2006, 18:44
Only thing that spoiled this ride for me was seeing a row of feet dangling down from above. Guess you have to be on the top section to really enjoy it. It was stillamazing thought. The kids prefered test track thought??
[msnwink]

becbecs
13-03-2006, 20:09
Favorite ride when we were last out, went on twice. Fast Passed both times so didn't have to wait that long.

MarkJan
13-03-2006, 20:52
Looking forward to this one. 8 days now. Yippee :D

Ray&Sarah
13-03-2006, 23:26
We did Soarin last week and agree with the majority here, it was great.[msnsmile2]

stabard
13-03-2006, 23:35
We did this in January when the parks were quiet and we had a fast pass. I did enjoy it but would not have wanted to queue 90 minutes for it.

djdigitald
14-03-2006, 11:51
We wasn't prepared to queue for 80 and 90 minutes for it so we didn't do it.

Disney Dreamer
14-03-2006, 13:34
We went on Soarin at Christmas and were lucky enough to get the front row seats. I say lucky enough because whilst it was our first time on the ride, when we were queuing we got talking to a very friendly man who lives in Orlando and had been on the ride many times. He told us that the best place to sit was at the front as like others have said as it does spoil it seeing feet dangling in front of you. We really enjoyed the ride and would definately go again but would get a fastpass!

luckylady
06-06-2006, 11:16
We spent the day at Epcot we mamaged to go on Soarin twice, without waiting for nearly two hours.
We sat in the middle of the first row WOW!!!this was fantastic enjoyed this experience far more than my first time at Christmas.
Then I was dragged onto Test Track not going on that again
Soarin is my best experience so far
[:O][8][8]

Southsider
06-06-2006, 13:57
Soarin has been added to my list of favourite rides along with Spiderman!!!

(I am a chicken when it comes to Rollacoasters)

G Lazell
08-06-2006, 16:56
Soarin is our favourite ride, only managed to do it once because the the wait but it really is fantastic. It's first on our list when we go in September.

Tracey and Graham

sammibabe
13-06-2006, 23:48
All fastpasses had gone for this so we waited nearly 2 hours. Worth the wait. I don't do rollercoasters but love all these type of rides. The only one I couldn't handle was Mission:space, orange. Took my youngest on the green first and it was great. One of the others wanted to go on orange again so I went and I felt so ill and that lasted for about 2 hours. I'm obviously not destined to be an aastronaut!