PDA

View Full Version : Lights and Signs

David Sherman
05-10-2002, 15:43
If it is your first trip, you may be horrified to see all those impatient drivers going through red lights. Don't worry! In the US, you are allowed to turn right on red (provided it is safe to do so). Only on dodgy junctions do you get a sign saying 'No right on red'. How about the same here, Mr Blair? (Yeah, OK, turn LEFT on red, Mr Blair)
On the subject of signs, please note that road names on the gantry above you refer to the SIDE roads, not yours. On our first trip in Florida, we managed to end up in north east Orlando while aiming for Disney, all because we thought the signs were route confirmers, like they are in the UK.

Generally, Florida drivers appear to be much more courteous than in UK and elsewhere in US. I even find that I am less impatient when I drive there. Anyone else feel the same?

David

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-01-2003, 02:46
Despite a degree in Geography I have a hell of a job knowing my north from south so you could do a lot worse than have a compass with you. Many of if not all the & seater MPVs that we have had built in digital compass but not sure about smaller vehicles. Aquainting yourself with a good map early on is useful too.

Sarah

bellaepovera
05-01-2003, 17:09
You should all try driving in Italy!! Nightmare heaven!! I did notice that stop lights in florida are different from the ones in Ill. as some of them if you dont stop before the white line you cant see when they turn green.

CarolAnn
27-09-2005, 12:54
I drove for the first time in Florida at Easter:D I loved it!! Planning to gain more confidence in a couple of weeks when we go back too. [^] Though I confess....errrr I did turn "LEFT" on a red (got my turning on a RED is allowed, mixed up[msneek]) Luckily my 12 year old (at the time) was with me , and loudly announced "NO". I must add, there were no other cars around, fortunately[msnoo]

wrpac00
27-09-2005, 14:33
I love driving in Florida better than in the UK, the big wide roads help.

Macka
27-09-2005, 18:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Generally, Florida drivers appear to be much more courteous than in UK and elsewhere in US. I even find that I am less impatient when I drive there. Anyone else feel the same?

David
[/quote]

Yes David definitely. I'm quite impatient as a driver here, but change when I drive in Florida. Of course there's no rush to get anywhere on holiday which helps, but the speed limits are lower and they do seem to be bit more courteous, particularly towards pedestrians. Also, because the cars are so big and heavy, they don't lend themselves to throwing them around.

Collecting the car and driving from the Airport is one of the highpoints for me.

Madabouttigger
27-09-2005, 21:18
As Sarah says a compass is a good idea so at least you have a general idea which direction you are going in. Or in our case it was - Heading towards Miami is South and Tampa is West!!

Diane.

ravtino
28-09-2005, 02:42
I was really worried last year as I drove for the first time but loved it and this time hubbie didn't even get a look in!!!!