PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Credit Card

brizzle
08-10-2004, 12:07
Not sure if this has been mentioned but a work colleague told me this little titbit. I checked and it's true.

Whilst most credit card companies charge a 'transaction fee' on foreign purchases (2-3% normally) the Nationwide Credit Card does not.
I have also been reliably informed by the same person that the exchange rate is normally a little better than M&S rates, who are normally the best place for exchange rate on the High Street to get your currency.

My application is in the post :D

Brizzle.

wilfy
08-10-2004, 13:02
We;ve had one of these for a few years now, and it certainly has saved $$$$ or should that be ££££ [grin]

Jill
08-10-2004, 13:07
You have definitely been given the correct information and if you apply for the Reward credit card you even earn cash back on your purchases so we save even more.

paulm
08-10-2004, 13:49
The Nationwide Cash Back credit card should also be used for all your purchases in ANY country and from the Internet.
NO foreign transaction charges AND cash back, brilliant I save a fortune each year.

Nostromo
08-10-2004, 19:28
Maybe they should change the name from "Nationwide" to "Worldwide" :D:D

WR1
08-10-2004, 22:02
I think it's Nationwide, if you open a bank account with them just now you get 10,000.00 BA air miles and 3,000.00 each year. it came from BA Executive Club.[clap]

blott
08-10-2004, 22:09
Ask Chrisj! ;) He persuaded me to get a Nationwide cash back card and I've saved fortunes... :)

Ray&Sarah
08-10-2004, 22:23
Where is Chrisj recently? Haven't seen a post from him for a while.[msneek]

blott
08-10-2004, 22:38
Could be in Cyprus?

KJH
08-10-2004, 22:41
Strange I was thinking the same about ChrisJ. Don't tell me our great Southern leader has left us?[msnmad]

I'll have to pop down to the Yeading Tesco's and see if I can spot him. (He lives near)

Kaz

09-10-2004, 01:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
Strange I was thinking the same about ChrisJ. Don't tell me our great Southern leader has left us?[msnmad]

I'll have to pop down to the Yeading Tesco's and see if I can spot him. (He lives near)

Kaz[sporty]
[/quote]

I thought he lived in Northolt?[msnscared]

andreah
11-10-2004, 13:36
I have banked with the Nationwide for 18 years! How old am I!!!

I always use my debit card on any holiday and have never been charged for any transactions. I also always get a fantastic exchange rate, no matter what country I visit. As you can tell I am a huge fan. [msnwink] These days when we are always in such a hurry it is nice not to have to get travellers cheques and currency, we just take our cards.

CERICROWLEY
11-10-2004, 14:28
If we have to use a british credit card aboard, we tend to use the Tesco platinum card. as they dont seem to charge admin fee and the exchange rate is closer to the commercial rate than the tourist rate.

Magical Dreams
11-10-2004, 14:36
We usually use our Debit Card whilst in Florida, I can't ever recall us being charged Transaction fee.
If you withdraw cash that would be a different matter.

I have also heard about M&S currency.

No doubt it will be getting a visit from us before we go!!

Cheers for the heads up Brizzle!

sugar plum
12-10-2004, 02:59
Saga Visa card don't charge you for transactions anytime or for cash withdrawal to dec 04..............how old am I?? I get the saga magazine!!! ..........Actually I am 60 on the 21s Oct and my big birthday treat is "swimming with the dolphins" with my grandson 8yrs and my DIL the other children and adults are only watching. has anyone had the birthday cake treatment, was it good????? We leave b'ham on thurs (14th Oct) for orlando via newark....really excited ...never been to florida before.

tezz7628
12-10-2004, 11:34
to all of you saying you don't get charged transaction charges, do they actually show this as a seperate charge, or is it not included in the conversion price you end up paying??

LiesaAnna
12-10-2004, 11:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sugar plum
Saga Visa card don't charge you for transactions anytime or for cash withdrawal to dec 04..............how old am I?? I get the saga magazine!!! ..........Actually I am 60 on the 21s Oct and my big birthday treat is "swimming with the dolphins" with my grandson 8yrs and my DIL the other children and adults are only watching. has anyone had the birthday cake treatment, was it good????? We leave b'ham on thurs (14th Oct) for orlando via newark....really excited ...never been to florida before.
[/quote]

hope you have a lovely time.......

sugar plum
12-10-2004, 21:37
Have just checked with SAGA visa and they are saying the card does not charge for transactions within EU and only charges up to 1% for transactions in the Rest of the World. Normal charges are 2.75%. you can withdraw up to £500 a day in local currency[clap]

wilfy
12-10-2004, 22:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
to all of you saying you don't get charged transaction charges, do they actually show this as a seperate charge, or is it not included in the conversion price you end up paying??
[/quote]

Normallly the with uk card issuer's the transaction fee is included in the whole charge. Even if you get cash out on your card you are warned at withdrawral time of the fee and it's added to the total.

chris
14-10-2004, 01:49
We've also got Nationwide debit card and cashback credit card. It's true there is absolutely no transaction fee and the exchange rate is better than you get at travel agents/ post office etc. We never bother with travellers cheques, just take our debit card and get cash out from the ATM so only charge is the standard ATM charge, usually about $2.

chrisj
16-10-2004, 17:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Could be in Cyprus?
[/quote]

Sorry

Your right as usual Blott, been away for quite a while, actually a
very long time sorting out issues etc just got back and trying to catch up

But yes use Nationwide the best ever card we came across thats why
I keep on about it. Saved us a fortune in commission and you get the
buisiness exchange rate when you buy goods.

Erm I live in Yeading near that horrid Tesco [msnsmile2]

KJH
16-10-2004, 20:24
WELCOME BACK CHRISJ

MISSING OUR SOUTHERN LEADER.;)

KAZ

chrisj
17-10-2004, 02:27
[msnsmile] Thanks Kaz

Was only meant to be away for 3 days not weeks, oh well had a great time anyway [msnsmile2]

phaedra
31-12-2004, 04:28
Well, after 18 days of bashing the Nationwide card during our hols I finally plucked up the courage and checked my online banking to see the damage ................. not as bad as I thought!, I'd actually underspent our budget by about $400 :) mind you, the $1600+ for the Disney APs gave me a bit of a nasty turn! [xx(]

Exchange rates during December ranged from 1.91 to over 1.94 ...... Excellent! :D

Can't wait for next October to try it again in Canada and Florida! :)

finishrich
04-01-2005, 01:33
Don't forget you'll have the cash back to look forward to after all that spending! (assuming you have one of their cash back cards of course)

Rich-n-Ang
22-06-2005, 14:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by finishrich
Don't forget you'll have the cash back to look forward to after all that spending! (assuming you have one of their cash back cards of course)
[/quote]

I've got a both Nationwide credit and debit cards and am planning to use them in Florida, but have just noticed the following with regard to the Cash Reward card :-

Extract from Nationwide website
* Cash rewards will not be paid on transactions made abroad or made with retailers that are registered outside the UK.

Not that this will stop me using it 'cos the the other advantages are great, but thought it better to correct everyone.

Jill
22-06-2005, 21:23
They have only recently stopped paying cash back on foreign purchases and on the UK purchases have reduced the cash reward to 0.25%. They have also reduced the number of days by 10 between receiving the bill and the payment date which is a pain in the butt especially when a bank holiday or easter falls in this period. For cash back cards in the UK there are now better options but for foreign use it is still by far the best as it gives much better currency exchange rates.