PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida

jingleton
07-10-2004, 19:39
Hi just joined this great site. We are moving to Florida Lake Mary and our 20 year old daughter is coming with us. She is leaving lots of friends behind, and will be very sad.[msncry]
She has a fantastic social life here. What could she get involved in out there to meet others her age? She is going to try and go back to college.

I am currently living in UK but about to make a huge move over to Lake Mary in Florida. Its exciting and scarey and we cant wait to go. Just waiting for our visas. We have brought a pool business in Lake Mary which my husband and daughter are going to run. I will hopefully nurse in one of the many lovely hospitals.
We are takeing our 12 year old jack russell aswell.
Any tips on moving to Florida would be really appreciated

Janet

blott
07-10-2004, 19:45
Hi Janet and welcome to the forum!

I've taken the liberty of copying some of your introductory post here as I know the person who may be able to help you won't find your thread in the introducing area and you're more likely to get a response in this section.

esprit
07-10-2004, 22:12
She means me and please let me know the visa status of yourselves initially and yout daughter. If you are on an L or an E initially and she is a dependant, she cant help your husband, she wont be entitled to work in any capacity and will de sent back at 21 unless by then she is in college and changes to student status. Even at 18 plus on E or L, kids are only really eligible to stay with you if on a dependants visa if they are innhigher education. So I am guessing you have made her 50% owner of the business and she has a visa in her own right?? If so she will be OK.

College will be pretty much her only way of making friends. You are in a residential area which will help. Social life is very different though, if she is used to pubs and clubs, that wont happen here, it is more movies and coffee bars. Suits my son but I know of two other teens who couldnt fit in and have gone home.

Nursing, well straight to green card without labour certification as I am sure you know. But there is a one year conversion course for British qualified nurses. Did you do that yet? And you MUST get your green card application in before your daughter turns 21 if she is to get a green card also as your dependant. The Child protection act will then freeze her age at 20. If she is one day over 21, she wont get a card with you and you will have to eventually sponsor her which can take years,