PDA

View Full Version : Non payment of Toll

NickClark
06-10-2004, 20:05
About 2 years ago I found myself at an exit toll booth with no change at all. The station was not manned. I got out of the car and looked for any means of contacting a command centre by means of intercom, telephone etc but there was nothing. After about 10 minutes I started to feel a little nervous as I was in a fairly isolated spot and not many people arround. I put a dollar bill in the basket where you would normally throw the quaters, drove through the toll station, (obviously there was no barrier) and heard the camera take my photo. I have not really thought anything of it untill I recently saw a tv programme where visitors had been turned away by imigration officers for non payment of fines. I have visited florida on at least 4 occasions since without any problem but should I contact someone to settle the matter and if so who. Advice please[msnscared]

chrizzy100
06-10-2004, 20:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NickClark
About 2 years ago I found myself at an exit toll booth with no change at all. The station was not manned. I got out of the car and looked for any means of contacting a command centre by means of intercom, telephone etc but there was nothing. After about 10 minutes I started to feel a little nervous as I was in a fairly isolated spot and not many people arround. I put a dollar bill in the basket where you would normally throw the quaters, drove through the toll station, (obviously there was no barrier) and heard the camera take my photo. I have not really thought anything of it untill I recently saw a tv programme where visitors had been turned away by imigration officers for non payment of fines. I have visited florida on at least 4 occasions since without any problem but should I contact someone to settle the matter and if so who. Advice please[msnscared]
[/quote]

We've done the same thing....after the money fell on the floor.....and hubby being in a bad mood anyway just drove on.....it was in our own car....and nothing came of it.....they could of found us easy enough......
If you did it time and time again.....then thats different.....

Nostromo
06-10-2004, 20:56
A similar thing happened to us on the visit earlier this year. We were going to the villa from the airport and one of the SR417 toll booths wa unmanned and marked 'closed'. There was NO BASKET for us to throw change into. The camera took our photo as we passed through and as soon as we arrived at the villa, I got the phone number of the proper authorities and called them. They asked us not to worry and promised that we would hear no more about it. We haven't so far and so I guess everything is all right.

Lisa C
06-10-2004, 21:19
This happened to me last month. I was on my own, tired after the flight and getting used to the rental car. The last thing I needed was an un-manned booth that accepted my money but still had a red light. I kept throwing quarters into the funnel with people beeping at me from cars behind . I must have put in about 4 Dollars!!

I finally gave up feeding the damn thing and drove off. That's when I noticed the sign about the $100 fine. That got me so flustered I made a wrong turn back on to the toll road. I got off again at the next exit, which happened to be a much better route to Lindfields so it's not all bad news. I was concerned that the rental company would charge me for the fine but not a word was said then or since.

DaveL
06-10-2004, 21:57
They don't normally follow up on one-off offences as its not worth the effort. There was a case in the local paper about 9 months ago with a local driving both ways thorough the toll each day with out paying.

They finally decided to trap him when the computer said he had 158 fines outstanding.

Dave

TINAPETERS
06-10-2004, 22:14
Same thing happened to us, we thought the hire car company would catch up with us but have heard nothing since.

blott
06-10-2004, 22:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NickClark
[/quote]I think you'll find that it was probably non payment of speeding fines, etc (have a look here about two thirds down the page http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/vwp.htm) and I'm sure you'll have no probs.

As has been said already, one or two difficulties like this won't have the Police out looking for you with handcuffs!

ctgirlscout
06-10-2004, 23:25
We had a similar problem as we have EZ Pass on our vehicles. Usually most of the electronic toll systems work with each other, but not the FL system. They are the only one on the East Coast that doesn't accept EZ Pass. We were at a toll booth with no change, so just went through. Never heard any more from them.

tezz7628
06-10-2004, 23:42
same thing happened with me, heard nothing