PDA

View Full Version : Unread posts

steph_goodrum
02-10-2002, 11:59
I know I'm being fussy, and I know you're both busy but pleeeeease can we have the 'go to first unread post' button back? If a thread is getting quite long and you haven't checked it for a while if you go to the first post or jump to last you have to scroll through and find where you'd finished reading and because we've been spoilt in the past I find it a bit irritating.
Thanks

Lakul
02-10-2002, 12:05
I second that. I do really really miss that button. Please can we have it back, Thanks guys:D:D

Ruth
02-10-2002, 13:30
Yes please can we have it back, it saves so much time for those of us who visit the forums several times a day:D

Angua
02-04-2004, 14:38
Morning!

I've read the other posts about the use of "Go to first unread post" but just wanted to get an updated view.

Is it just me (or rather my dastardly laptop) or do other people have problems using the "Unread post" link. It's fine if the thread is only on one page but doesn't work if there are multiple pages, just bungs me back on the first page. I am behind a Firewall so wondered if the cookies may be the problem but I thought that John was talking about getting a cookie-less link.

Blast, I'm hungry now. With all this talk of cookies, I'm off to find a biscuit to dunk in my tea!

chrisj
02-04-2004, 14:54
I get that problem as well Sarah, but then again ive got a butchered Pc that I keep
'killing' so thought it was just me

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 15:14
Works perfectly for me (even on multiple page threads) - it's exactly the same code as we have been using since 2002 so it should be ok.

Angua
02-04-2004, 15:26
Thanks John, it must be something to do with my pesky laptop. Does the link still use cookies? I know that you mentioned on another thread that you were working on a cookie-less option. Blast, I need another biccie. I have to get off this topic or I'll gain ten pounds by the end of the day. ;)

Do you have a firewall, Chris? Perhaps that's causing our problems.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 15:40
The link should be totally database driven and not require cookies.

chrisj
02-04-2004, 15:55
I do have a firewall, but think the problem is more down to me playing with the Pc itself

Angua
02-04-2004, 15:58
Okaaaaay, that's another idea shot down. As a last resort, I shall refer to the Fountain of all Knowledge, the Oracle of IT, my personal Guru..... aka Hubbie.:D "Damn Users", he'll cry. Anyone else read BOFH?:D

steph_goodrum
02-04-2004, 16:15
Just to throw another spanner in the works it does the same for me John and has done for a little while now. The only thing I've done to mine is put in new power supply , I haven't installed a firewall (that I know of - unless Norton has added something on one of its updates, but it is the same for me as Sarah if the topic is more than one page long it seems to take me to the other page or first page. I thought it was just me.

chrisj
02-04-2004, 16:19
Used to read BOFH, even have a t-shirt somewhere:)

Angua
02-04-2004, 16:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
Used to read BOFH, even have a t-shirt somewhere:)
[/quote]

Takes me back to college, pinging each other with snippets from the stories. I swear it was composed by a guy in our Server room. He was the devil incarnate.[}:)] Aaaaahhh, those were the days. Hubbie tells me that it's still going strong somewhere. I'll have to find the link.

Going back to the main thread, as Steph is in agreement, I wonder what is different about our pc's? I'll see what the Oracle says and you intelligent people, get your thinking caps on.:D

Ana
02-04-2004, 17:02
I've tried this on 3 PC's and it takes me back to the first page on all of them. Are all having probs using XP?

Angua
02-04-2004, 17:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ana
I've tried this on 3 PC's and it takes me back to the first page on all of them. Are all having probs using XP?
[/quote]

Yep, I'm on XP Professional. What about the rest of us?

chrisj
02-04-2004, 17:07
I have XP on this Pc, NT on the other and 98 Me on the others

A mate here used to send story lines into BOFH, think he had a few printed

Angua
02-04-2004, 17:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
I have XP on this Pc, NT on the other and 98 Me on the others

A mate here used to send story lines into BOFH, think he had a few printed
[/quote]

You sound like a kindred spirit to Hubbie. His office is also stuffed to the gills with PC's, laptops, motherboards etc. Boys and their toys!!:D

I take it you have the same problem on all of your OS so it's just XP then.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 17:27
Works well using IE6 and XP Pro here. I'll try and replicate it but if I can't I'm going to struggle to fix it.

steph_goodrum
02-04-2004, 17:34
I'm using Windows 98 and have done from day 1.

chrisj
02-04-2004, 17:40
Actually I seem to remember not having the problem on the 98 laptop, will have to
check tonight. But as ive said I butcher my Pc's a lot and so wouldnt be surprised
if its something ive tweeked for some reason

Ruth
02-04-2004, 18:36
Now when I click on the blue arrow to the left of the thread in active topics it takes me to p1, however when I click on goto first unread post at the top of the topic it takes me to the right place:D

I am using XP Home

Ana
02-04-2004, 19:25
I'm on XP Pro and IE6 too - so why does it work for john and not for me??????????

Must be something else we have in common - Zone Alarm anyone???

kaysvacationvilla
02-04-2004, 21:04
Since I have joined this forum when I have hit "Go to first unread post" it has only stayed on the first page.

Kay

kaysvacationvilla
02-04-2004, 21:08
I don't have Zone Alarm and I use 3 differenct computers all with differenct operating systems and it is always the same. It will always brings me to the bottom post of the first page if there are multiple pages that I have read.

I just thought this was the way it was set up.

Lakul
02-04-2004, 21:46
I have XP Pro and IE6 and it works fine:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 21:57
It does here too and I'm struggling to see why it works for some and not others as it does not use cookies and does not have anything to do with firewalls - all the info the fourms need to display the correct page is in the link that is made by clicking on the blue arrow.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lakul
I have XP Pro and IE6 and it works fine:)
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
02-04-2004, 22:06
Sorry to add to the problem John but we have the same problem as some of the others in that the "take me to first unread post" will only take us to the bottom of the first page. We use Windows XP home edition, internet IE6. And Norton Antivirus 2003 with cookies unblocked on your pages.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 22:11
Can you post me the link that is generated by clicking on the blue arrow so I can try it here.

Can you also do a quick test:

1) Find a thread with more than one page.
2) View any posting on the last page of the thread.
3) Go back to active topics immediately (don't look at any other pages in that thread).
4) Click on the blue arrow and see where it takes you - it should go to the last page you viewed in that thread.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
Sorry to add to the problem John but we have the same problem as some of the others in that the "take me to first unread post" will only take us to the bottom of the first page. We use Windows XP home edition, internet IE6. And Norton Antivirus 2003 with cookies unblocked on your pages.
[/quote]

Lakul
02-04-2004, 22:12
Could it be a cookie problem. Is it worth deleting cookies, logging in and starting again to see if it makes a difference[?]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 22:13
No - it does not use cookies for that function.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lakul
Could it be a cookie problem. Is it worth deleting cookies, logging in and starting again to see if it makes a difference[?]
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
02-04-2004, 22:49
Hi John,
Using the above method, we do go to the last post we had read for that particular post. Thanks. But the blue arrow at the top of the thread page takes us back to the bottom of page one.
The link it comes up with is:
www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1995#79420
Hope this helps.[msnsmile2]

Lakul
02-04-2004, 22:58
If I use that arrow it does the same for me, but I never use this.

I use the blue arrow to the left of the post title.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-04-2004, 23:05
So just to clear this up - we are all talking about the blue arrow at the top of the thread not working and the one in active topics DOES work?

Lakul
02-04-2004, 23:08
Yes, thats the way it works for me John:)

Ray&Sarah
02-04-2004, 23:09
John
YES, thats the problem we've been having, can't speak for all the others though!

Ruth
03-04-2004, 01:28
No, the blue one to the left of the thread in active topics takes me to the bottom of page 1:(

chrisj
03-04-2004, 02:09
John

Im not saying anything, I will live with my problem [:I] cos I must have caused it

Ray&Sarah
03-04-2004, 03:47
Oh dear Chris what have you done!:D

chrisj
03-04-2004, 03:54
think ive almost killed this one, it keeps logging me off now :D

time to rebuild it AGAIN [:I][:I]

Ray&Sarah
03-04-2004, 03:56
Didn't they used to say that about the 6 million dollar man "We can rebuild him we have the technology".:D[msnwink][msncool]

chrisj
03-04-2004, 03:58
yep and I think ive got the monopoly on that saying :D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-04-2004, 04:09
Can you give me an example link?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
No, the blue one to the left of the thread in active topics takes me to the bottom of page 1:(
[/quote]

Ruth
03-04-2004, 04:18
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1995
Is this what you want John?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-04-2004, 04:22
Yes - looks like you have not viewed page 2 (or the forum software think you haven't) for some reason as it should have a "whichpage" in there somewhere. Did you try the test I set out a few posts above too?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1995
Is this what you want John?
[/quote]

Ruth
03-04-2004, 04:58
Now it worked when I did it the test way John

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-04-2004, 14:10
Could it be the case that people have never viewed the second page of a thread so the last read post is still on page 1 so the forum is workign correctly?

That's my main theory at the moment.

Now it worked when I did it the test way John
[/quote]

chrisj
03-04-2004, 15:10
Mines working all ok now :) managed to fix whatever it was that wasnt working. Gee and I work in
IT [:0][:0][:0]

Ruth
03-04-2004, 15:29
No, I tried some this morning direct from active topics and it took me to the bottom of page 1 even though I had read some of the postings on p2. Don't lose any sleep over it though John, it has always been that way for me and I can live with it:);)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-04-2004, 15:46
COuld you have looked at page 2 and then back to page 1 before clicking the link i.e. it is looking at the max post on the LAST page you looked at on the thread (which may or may not be the last page of that thread)?

No, I tried some this morning direct from active topics and it took me to the bottom of page 1 even though I had read some of the postings on p2. Don't lose any sleep over it though John, it has always been that way for me and I can live with it:);)
[/quote]

kaysvacationvilla
03-04-2004, 18:32
Don't worry John. I just usually try to remember which page at which I left on on and I just go directly to that page.

Kay

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-04-2004, 19:08
The only problem is I'm a perfectionist and this will bug me unless I can find out what is happening [msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla
Don't worry John. I just usually try to remember which page at which I left on on and I just go directly to that page.

Kay
[/quote]

Ruth
03-04-2004, 23:20
I thought you might be right so I did another test. I read p1, then p2, then p3 of the mossie thread. i went to active topics, then clicked on the arrow to the left of the mossie thread and it took me to the top of p1:(

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
COuld you have looked at page 2 and then back to page 1 before clicking the link i.e. it is looking at the max post on the LAST page you looked at on the thread (which may or may not be the last page of that thread)?[/quote]