PDA

View Full Version : What SCARES you most of all?

Nostromo
04-10-2004, 12:20
Not strictly a Florida poll, but I suppose some options (eg, heights) could be relevant. Most of us have 'hidden fears' of something that we know is silly, but the phobia is there nevertheless. I was just curious to know about such fears, if any, among other people in our Forum.

Please note that I have NOT included realistic, common-sense phobias like fear of being burgled etc.

MaggieAllan
04-10-2004, 12:40
The big roller coasters scare me and I have never been on them in Florida. It's ever since I went on the old fashioned ones in Blackpool in the 70s.

I was petrified of falling out and I feel so sick after. Even though the new type have bars over your shoulders I just don't like the idea. I'm OK with small drops and twists e.g. Mummy, and water flumes, but the nearest I've got to them since the 70s is Space Mountain. Eveyone convinced me I would be fine , but it was horrible and I couldn't wait to get off(nearly crying). I love the fact that my kids have no fear of them - I wouldn't want them to feel like me.

All the other things on the list are uncomfortable from time to time, but I have no real phobia of them.

Perhaps I need to get hypnotised before I go at Christmas and then I could have a go on Hulk etc - any body got Paul McKennas' number?

blott
04-10-2004, 14:59
Er, heights, confined spaces and spiders! [msnscared]

markburwood
04-10-2004, 16:48
Blood and spiders for me [xx(][:O]

brizzle
04-10-2004, 17:05
Spiders any bigger than a money spider and *my own* blood.

LiesaAnna
04-10-2004, 17:22
i clicked on something else, sounds silly but deep water, i dont swim out of my depth i'll stick to my height, i have gone way out of my depth but it scares me so i dont do it often, very uncomfortable on a boat or ferry, and i try hard not to think of it when flying abroad

chrizzy100
04-10-2004, 17:42
I don't really have any fears ......but I have bad ears....which stops me going on a lot of things....and doing a lot of things......I'd not be happy to see a snake in the living room......but I don't have a fear of them.....:D

MaggieAllan
04-10-2004, 17:53
" sounds silly but deep water, i dont swim out of my depth i'll stick to my height, i have gone way out of my depth but it scares me so i dont do it often, very uncomfortable on a boat or ferry, and i try hard not to think of it when flying abroad"

It's not silly at all - I'm just the same with regards to swimming - I hog the side of any pool I'm in so I can grab the side at any time - and if there are a lot of other people in I avoid going in just in case they accidently knock me under[msnscared]

I don't think about it on planes or boats though - not until now that is[msncry]

Nostromo
04-10-2004, 17:57
Interesting that BOTH postings mentioning fear of own blood came from men. This ties in with my own experience at work - 90% of people scared of having blood samples taken are men. Contrary to what old-fashioned stories tell us, girls over about 13 and women are seldom scared of their own blood for obvious reasons.

MaggieAllan
04-10-2004, 18:04
Nostromo - very interesting....

I don't think it's just "obvious reasons" for women with regards to blood - if you have given birth, you will have given blood samples that many times that your previous fears subside.

And fear of pain...well, don't get me started .... we don't want a battle of the sexes.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
04-10-2004, 18:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Interesting that BOTH postings mentioning fear of own blood came from men. This ties in with my own experience at work - 90% of people scared of having blood samples taken are men. Contrary to what old-fashioned stories tell us, girls over about 13 and women are seldom scared of their own blood for obvious reasons.
[/quote]

my hubby is 5 feet 6in, he weighs 17 stone and every time he has blood taken he passes out, something he always wanted to do was give blood and now he does they get an experianced nurse to take it and they keep him lying down for ages!!!!!! my hero!!!!!

Kiddie001
04-10-2004, 18:44
I give blood regularly, so no problem there, but I am the worlds biggest woosie when it comes to heights[:O], I will be the one holding the coats in the Disney Parks 18th Oct - 2nd Nov.[msneek]
Strangely I dont mind flying[msnsmile2]

Ian

Nostromo
04-10-2004, 20:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
Nostromo - very interesting....

I don't think it's just "obvious reasons" for women with regards to blood - if you have given birth, you will have given blood samples that many times that your previous fears subside.

And fear of pain...well, don't get me started .... we don't want a battle of the sexes.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Maggie, The 'obvious reason' I mentioned is even more obvious than what you said. Long before women give birth to babies, they see thier own blood monthly. That certainly is one of the strong reasons why women are less likely than men to baulk at the sight of their own blood.

Same is true of pain as well. There need not be any battle of the sexes. As you have said giving birth, even with modern day epidurals and such, is a very painful experience.

benfilo
05-10-2004, 02:49
getting on that plane[msnscared]
benfilo

Ray&Sarah
05-10-2004, 02:53
Wheres the vote for "all of the above" then. :D Just joking, voted for spiders hate those hairy things.:D

KJH
05-10-2004, 03:53
Worms, snakes and I can't even swing on kids swing without my stomach turning. I LOVE holding bags etc while the other four go on the rides![V][msncry]

Kaz

pauline
05-10-2004, 03:53
Definately spiders, the photos on the other link are so frightening. If I found one of them in my villa I would run a mile (and I'm sure my kids would run two!!!).

fllion
05-10-2004, 06:17
Snakes !!!

MaggieAllan
05-10-2004, 12:07
"I don't think it's just 'obvious reasons' for women with regards to blood - if you have given birth, you will have given blood samples that many times that your previous fears subside."

"And fear of pain...well, don't get me started .... we don't want a battle of the sexes.[msnsmile2]"

"Maggie, The 'obvious reason' I mentioned is even more obvious than what you said. Long before women give birth to babies, they see thier own blood monthly. That certainly is one of the strong reasons why women are less likely than men to baulk at the sight of their own blood.
Same is true of pain as well. There need not be any battle of the sexes. As you have said giving birth, even with modern day epidurals and such, is a very painful experience."

Nostromo - I did realise what you meant - just didn't want to elaborate :)

Magical Dreams
08-10-2004, 01:21
Spiders care the daylight out of me!!

We find all sorts in the fruit at work!!

Sends a shiver down my spine!
[gun][gun][gun][gun]

Cruella DeVilla
08-10-2004, 20:15
Hate heights and I am claustraphobic but really really hate cockroaches!

Liam_Sandie
09-10-2004, 22:24
I'm with you CDV!![msnscared][msncry]

10-10-2004, 13:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
i clicked on something else, sounds silly but deep water, i dont swim out of my depth i'll stick to my height, i have gone way out of my depth but it scares me so i dont do it often, very uncomfortable on a boat or ferry, and i try hard not to think of it when flying abroad
[/quote]

Im the same went on a cruise and it was a very large ship but I hated it!![msneek]

CarolAnn
10-10-2004, 19:49
The scary rides at the parks are my main fear, I can't tell you how many years before I even went on Thunder Mountain!!! (ok! It was 9 years of going!!) Building up to Splash Mountain now![clap]

LiesaAnna
10-10-2004, 21:00
carolAnn
i was the same but i went on splash mountain, my butt (and its a big butt) lifted a fraction out of the seat,it happened to all my lot, wow it was amazing, did the looking after my 7 year old (as she was then) ovviously didnt go on big rides, couldnt do the cable car across Busch gardens(i think)
bad legs an all i had to walk,
altho i put water and the depth scares the life out of me, not very good with heights either, but if i can get on a plane which has taken 28 years (went on a school trip when i was 12) and vowed i never would go on a plane again, till we got to the year 2000 then we said thats enough of BUTLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
dosent bother me to much just the knee saga.................also went on congo river rapids (so not me)..... bumper cars........he he they were good tho
concentrate on the lovely story of Brer Rabbit its lovely............

Calamity Jane
14-10-2004, 02:43
Got to be heights.. I like to be on terra firma all the time ( apart from when I fly to Florida and I'm not the best of flyers but I suffer in silence for that ):D:D

bryj
22-10-2004, 03:56
My greatest fear would be John-boy starting a poll on "is my dad bigger than your dad". Because he isn't.

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 10:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bryj
My greatest fear would be John-boy starting a poll on "is my dad bigger than your dad". Because he isn't.
[/quote]

How do you know that? [:O][:O]

bryj
22-10-2004, 16:06
[/quote]

[/quote]
This isn't the place for this discussion- see you behind the bike shed.:D

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 17:06
[/quote]

[/quote]
This isn't the place for this discussion- see you behind the bike shed.:D
[/quote]

Thankfully, I don't own a bike, much less a shed.[V][V]

Big Mack
22-10-2004, 19:50
Where is the option for Wifes VISA bill?

Scares me to death every time [msnscared]

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 20:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Big Mack

[/quote]

My wife's VISA bill (or Mastercard for that matter) does not scare me at all.[8D][8D]. They are all her own! We even have separate banks! (Never believe in those joint accounts)

linda.s
22-10-2004, 20:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Big Mack

[/quote]

My wife's VISA bill (or Mastercard for that matter) does not scare me at all.[8D][8D]. They are all her own! We even have separate banks! (Never believe in those joint accounts)
[/quote]

Oh, if your wife didn't earn enough to support herself, you'd have a joint bank account I'm sure..... [msnwink]

Nostromo
22-10-2004, 20:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s[brOh, if your wife didn't earn enough to support herself, you'd have a joint bank account I'm sure..... [msnwink]
[/quote]

Maybe, but then I'd be pretending that I do not belive in Credit Cards! :D:D

linda.s
22-10-2004, 21:32
[:O][grin]

MTP
23-10-2004, 03:39
I choose other as what scares me the most is confrontation, absolutely hate it.

As fas as squeamish-ness and males Vs females I find in my work females are much less squeamish. When it comes to teaching new lens wearers how to put contact lenses in and out females are by far easier and just get on and do it (males are just wimps) - (obviously that is a generalisation with exceptions - quantifying and justifying before we get any confrontation!!).

Don't know if it is mind over matter or that they are more used to poking around their eyes from puting on war-paint, or that they are more motivationally driven, but females usually get the hang much quicker.

eagleydo
23-10-2004, 19:04
I'm disappointed the poll was not bigger for heights as this is my fear and it is appears I am in a minority. My dearest desire is to go on the Hulk, every year I am going to every year I am too scared. This year I nearly made it, maybe next year. If I could be hypnotised into going on I would give it a try. Am getting better with heights but the thought of going upside down, uhhh!!!(In my dreams I ride the Hulk every year, prior to going to Florida) I do the heights on water rides its just the coasters. Mummy was fine, that was inside, couldn't look down.Loved it, just too short though.

SG
23-10-2004, 20:08
Has to be spiders for me [msnoo]

Interesting to see that spiders are in the lead at the moment. I wonder why so many people are frightened by them?

heathercobbett
28-10-2004, 18:18
"The Mummy" at Universal,when you were expecting a spooky Small World"

chrizzy100
28-10-2004, 18:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SG

Interesting to see that spiders are in the lead at the moment. I wonder why so many people are frightened by them?
[/quote]

Is it a fear or just a dislike.....??
If a spider was on me..I'd jump.....but I have no fear of them....

I have no fear of flying in a plane......but the thought of hitting the ground in one doing high speed makes me a bit unhappy......[msnscared]

The one thing I don't think I could ever do is climb a large mountain on ropes.......I have climbed in my time.....but I think I would freeze now....

I have a silly fear of going blind while driving.......now I bet no-one else has that one....LOL!

LiesaAnna
28-10-2004, 19:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SG

[/quote]

Is it a fear or just a dislike.....??
If a spider was on me..I'd jump.....but I have no fear of them....

I have no fear of flying in a plane......but the thought of hitting the ground in one doing high speed makes me a bit unhappy......[msnscared]

The one thing I don't think I could ever do is climb a large mountain on ropes.......I have climbed in my time.....but I think I would freeze now....

I have a silly fear of going blind while driving.......now I bet no-one else has that one....LOL!
[/quote]

Chrizzy
you do make me chuckle!!!!!!!!!!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

diverdrew
24-11-2004, 05:32
Ignorance & lack of empathy toward others scares me the most....well that and the media. OK...I know it was light hearted, so my light hearted answer would be things that have more (or less) legs than me and move like ligthening. I was in Eloy (Sky Diving) a few years ago (Arizona) and I missed the DZ by about 1/2 a mile....hearing, but not seeing the rattle snakes scared me a bit !

chunkichik
24-11-2004, 08:00
What scares me the most is if I could never go back to Disneyworld again!!!!

chrizzy100
24-11-2004, 08:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by diverdrew
Ignorance & lack of empathy toward others scares me the most....well that and the media. OK...I know it was light hearted, so my light hearted answer would be things that have more (or less) legs than me and move like ligthening. I was in Eloy (Sky Diving) a few years ago (Arizona) and I missed the DZ by about 1/2 a mile....hearing, but not seeing the rattle snakes scared me a bit !
[/quote]

You'd be no good using the loos in Billings Montana near some caves.....you can hear the rattlers getting mad under the wooden bathrooms as you cross the floor.....you have to do a running jump off the steps so they don't bite you when you leave......

bridget
24-11-2004, 21:48
Ooh this is easy - the flights! [msnscared]

CarolAnn
25-11-2004, 02:08
Gotta be heights[:O](Well the drops actually!)

janice
25-11-2004, 05:45
The rate at which LiesaAnna can talk[msnwink] Only jokin' of course, don't shoot me [gun]

LiesaAnna
25-11-2004, 11:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janice
The rate at which LiesaAnna can talk[msnwink] Only jokin' of course, don't shoot me [gun]
[/quote]

is there something you are trying to tell me!!!!!!!!!!!
i wont be talking at all for 2 weeks as of next wednesday!! so you'll all have, and no doubt enjoy the peace and quiet!!!
Lynne and I might tell you all about our trip and then again we just might not bother!!!!!!!!especially if you think i talk to much now!!!!!
i dont like it when people have a dig about me talking to much!!!!
what is this site about!????????????????something we all love and have in common!!!!!!!!

chunkichik
25-11-2004, 18:35
Go Liesa, Go Liesa, Go Liesa!![8D]

Nostromo
25-11-2004, 19:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chunkichik
Go Liesa, Go Liesa, Go Liesa!![8D]
[/quote]

Please give her a chance! She just told you that she is going in 2 weeks! [laugh][laugh]

Kiddie001
25-11-2004, 19:54
[/quote]

Leave Leisa alone! [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
25-11-2004, 20:20
ahhhh thanks guys!!!
might not come back here!!

janice
26-11-2004, 03:30
Hey LiesaAnna, don't be like that. You are sooo funny, it makes me laugh to see how many posts you have compared to my miserly lot. Not having a dig at you honest [msnwink]. You go girl.[clap]

LiesaAnna
26-11-2004, 12:06
Hey LiesaAnna, don't be like that. You are sooo funny, it makes me laugh to see how many posts you have compared to my miserly lot. Not having a dig at you honest [msnwink]. You go girl.[clap]
[/quote]
yes but what is the problem with me posting???
when comments are made like this i really feel like i shouldnt be doing it, its a great site, and we love to talk about florida!!!! and when i love something so much i can rabbit for ages,
[msntongue][msntongue][msntongue]

KJH
26-11-2004, 17:53
Thats why the off topic was designed especially for you,[msnsmile2] never feel guilty, [msnwink] I think it must be because you have an answer in nearly every section. [^]Don't bite my head off, this is a good thing, how would all the chat continue if nobody ever bothered to answer.;)

Anyway you always cheer people up with your questions and answers.[laugh] You'll have to get busy and leave loads and loads behind for me to read while you are away!:D

waiting...........I'll miss you [grouphug]

LiesaAnna
26-11-2004, 18:12
thanks Kaz!!!!!
will miss lots of you my friends!!!!![msncry]

hang on 1'm going to florida in a few days aint gonna miss any of ya!!!!! wont have time!!!!!!!![msnwink]

KJH
27-11-2004, 00:35
[msnmad]:(:([gun]

LiesaAnna
27-11-2004, 01:36
well maybe 1 or 2;)[beer]

chunkichik
28-11-2004, 20:46
When I say "Go Liesa", I mean in a Jerry Springer sort of way!!!!![msntongue]

LiesaAnna
29-11-2004, 02:45
yes those were my thoughts ![msnwink]

KJH
29-11-2004, 03:14
I keep having dreams where I miss my flight, because my luggage goes missing, or won't fit into the suitcases..........[:I]

That would be scary...............[:O]

Kaz[msncry]