PDA

View Full Version : The X-Prize

Snapper
02-10-2004, 15:49
The X-Prize is a $10m prize on offer to the first non-government team to put people into space, return them safely, and do the whole thing twice in two weeks to show that the vehicle is re-usable.

Sounds impossible huh?

It could be won this coming Monday (4 October, 2004) when the SpaceShipOne team go for their second launch from California.

They made their first flight last Wednesday (29 September).

The intention of the X-Prize is to re-ignite the idea of space tourism and affordable space travel, in much the same way that Charles Lingbergh's first ever transatlantic flight ushered in a new era in air travel.

One millionaire is now offering $50m a a prize for the first orbital (i.e. not just straight up and down) private space flight.

Richard Branson has an interest in the SpaceShipOne project and is hoping to use their technology to offer commerical spaceflights soon (within 3 years is their stated aim at the moment).

I find all this quite interesting and exciting.

Time to register www.spacevillas.com John!

02-10-2004, 20:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
The X-Prize is a $10m prize on offer to the first non-government team to put people into space, return them safely, and do the whole thing twice in two weeks to show that the vehicle is re-usable.

Sounds impossible huh?

It could be won this coming Monday (4 October, 2004) when the SpaceShipOne team go for their second launch from California.

They made their first flight last Wednesday (29 September).

The intention of the X-Prize is to re-ignite the idea of space tourism and affordable space travel, in much the same way that Charles Lingbergh's first ever transatlantic flight ushered in a new era in air travel.

One millionaire is now offering $50m a a prize for the first orbital (i.e. not just straight up and down) private space flight.

Richard Branson has an interest in the SpaceShipOne project and is hoping to use their technology to offer commerical spaceflights soon (within 3 years is their stated aim at the moment).

I find all this quite interesting and exciting.

Time to register www.spacevillas.com John!
[/quote]

I was hoping that Richard Branson was going to launch another supersonic jet age!!

Nostromo
02-10-2004, 20:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison

Sounds impossible huh?

[/quote]

Space Ship One, eh? Sounds interesting, not impossible. Is there a height restriction for the ride and are there Fastpasses? :D:D

Cruella DeVilla
02-10-2004, 20:39
Saw Mr Branson on the news last week saying he was trying to make space travel affordable for everyone! Think I will give it a miss for a couple of years!!!

E. Cosgrove
02-10-2004, 21:12
I'd get travel sick!![sick][sick][sick][sick]

Snapper
02-10-2004, 21:13
I imagine it's the full 52 inches for this one Nostromo. No pregnant women or people with back trouble either. [msnsmile][msnsmile]

Apparently SpaceShipOne did loads of unexpected spinning on the first flight [msneek], so maybe that motion sickness you sometimes get on Mission Space at Epcot is more realistic than Disney expected!

Nostromo
03-10-2004, 01:39
[sporty]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
Apparently SpaceShipOne did loads of unexpected spinning on the first flight [msneek], so maybe that motion sickness you sometimes get on Mission Space at Epcot is more realistic than Disney expected!
[/quote]

I was the 'Commander' on board Mission:SPACE and thought I did quite well. So, I wanna be Commander on Spaceship One too! [sporty]