PDA

View Full Version : Need your advise

LisaAF
30-09-2004, 06:13
I lurk here frequently, but this is my first post. I value your opinion so hoping you can advise me.
We had rented a beautiful home in Rolling Hills for a great price (from an American). We sent our deposit check a month ago and had received our contract. Tonight he has emailed me to let me know that part of the days we were renting aren't available. I'm guessing someone else was willing to pay more for the days. Our vacation is not until June of 2005 so I have plenty of time to reschedule. Should I fight this guy or just consider myself lucky that I no longer have to deal with him. He's not been helpful and hasn't reply to my emails or phone calls since he received my deposit. The house looks very nice and is a great price. I'm really frustrated:( Since I have a contract could I force him into letting us stay for the days on it?

JLBEEKEN
30-09-2004, 06:36
Hi, Lisa.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation. I know I would never treat a guest in my home this way. It is unacceptable.

Personally, I would see if you could get your deposit back and look for another home. While this home may be lovely the owner is not and is already backing out on the dates he already reserved for you.I would not want to deal with someone like this.

I hope you can work something out and still enjoy your holiday.

LiesaAnna
30-09-2004, 11:43
yeh i would definately get any money paid to him back and search through this site as you know these lovely people wouldnt treat you like that!!!!!!

you would have thought he could maybe have recommended another villa you could stay at, but i know if this was us we would want start to finish in the same villa

Ray&Sarah
30-09-2004, 12:04
Hi Lisa, sorry to hear of your problems. Unfortunately double bookings do happen, not always as a result of the villa owner being after more money. When this happens most villas owners would find their guests an alternative villa of the same standard and offer them this. It sounds like ion this case you would be better to take your money and find another villa, also its good to deal with someone that you feel comfortable with and replies to your enquiries. DO a search on this site, you are bound to find a villa that fits the bill, with a much more helpful villa owner. Good luck.[msnsmile2]

ncmurray
30-09-2004, 12:41
Ditto all of the above. You are probably better off without this guy. Search this site for another villa, and find yourself a more communicative owner, and you will feel much more confident about your holiday. Also, I hope you can get your deposit back[msnsmile]

Snapper
30-09-2004, 12:57
Hi Lisa,

Make sure you get your deposit back. The villa owner has failed (or refused) to provide the service they contracted to provide you, so should give you a full refund.

I think if you try to force the villa owner into letting you stay all that will happen is that you will have months of aggravation that will make you mad; and you still might not get the result at the end of it.

I'd say your best recourse is to retrieve your deposit, and then have a surf around the villas on these sites. John and Roger (who run them) verify all the villa and owners themselves so I think it pretty safe to say that all the owners who advertise here will give you a much better service.

Best Wishes

huckleberry house
30-09-2004, 12:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LisaAF
I lurk here frequently, but this is my first post. I value your opinion so hoping you can advise me.
We had rented a beautiful home in Rolling Hills for a great price (from an American). We sent our deposit check a month ago and had received our contract. Tonight he has emailed me to let me know that part of the days we were renting aren't available. I'm guessing someone else was willing to pay more for the days. Our vacation is not until June of 2005 so I have plenty of time to reschedule. Should I fight this guy or just consider myself lucky that I no longer have to deal with him. He's not been helpful and hasn't reply to my emails or phone calls since he received my deposit. The house looks very nice and is a great price. I'm really frustrated:( Since I have a contract could I force him into letting us stay for the days on it?
[/quote]

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear what a bad time you are having and I have to say as you have already had your confirmation of your dates then I find it very surprising that they would now be cahnged by the owner. Did he offer you any options such as a cancellation and return of deposit? I expect you would be well wihin your rights to challenge the cancellation of part of your dates but whether this is now worthwhile is a different question, do you really want to have any further dealings with such an owner ? While the house may be a good price the owner is not appearing to be totally trustworthy and I would consider a full cancellation assuming you can get your deposit back and start again with an owner that should be more helpful and reliable.Villas on this site have to be verified which should give you a little more confidence in what you are getting.If you do decide to take this route I would suggest you start your search soon as June is a very popular time and does book up quite quickly.
Good luck with your decision, Lesley

Lynnes
30-09-2004, 13:09
Hi and sorry about your dilemma. I agree with everybody above, if it was me i would prefer to deal with an honest and reliable owner.

steph_goodrum
30-09-2004, 13:27
Hi Lisa
I too would agree with the other owners on your best course of action being to cancel the entire trip.
Make sure you do it clearly and in writing to back up your claim for refund.
Attach a copy of whatever correspondence he has sent stating that some days are not available (keep a copy for yourself), with a letter stating that following his notification that some of your booked time not now being available, you request a full refund of all monies paid to date to enable you to book alternative accommodation at the earliest opportunity, as you do not want to have to change accommodation mid-stay.
Since the owner will not be able to provide what you have contracted with him then he is obliged to give you your money back (if you had changed your mind that would be a different matter).
I would also give hime a time to refund the difference (say 14 days from date of letter), so you have very clear paper trail should he decide that he is not willing to co-operate.
As the others have suggested June is a popular time because the US children are on vacation then so the earlier you can resolve it the better. It may mean you dont get as good a price as this person has given you (but then as you've seen - with lower prices often come more strings and less reliability) but at least hopefully you wont be spending the next ten months wondering if you are going to get more changes before your holiday. Peace of mind is worth a few dollars more, in my opinion.

fiona
30-09-2004, 13:40
Lisa I am so sorry to hear of your problems, and like the others here I would suggest you ask for your money back as he cannot fulfil his side of the contract. Sadly it appears that often things that appear to be too good to be true usually are.

I can't understand why he is giving you no explanation for the dates suddenly not being available, June is a very popular time with both US and UK visitors and get booked up 1 - 2 years in advance, but unless he has double booked himself I don't see why he is not trying to find you alternative accommodation in the surrounding area, which is what anyone else normally does.

Do let us know how you get on.

ctgirlscout
30-09-2004, 16:13
I agree with what everyone else has said. Get your money back, as the owner has effectively cancelled your reservation. You should be able to find an equally nice villa, and its still early enough that you should have no problem with your dates.

Do document everything with a paper trail. Send your letter certified, return receipt mail so you have a record. Good luck, and keep us posted.

steph_goodrum
30-09-2004, 16:22
There are exceptional circumstances, as has happened recently due to severe weather or other unforseen problems, which could necessitate the owner of a villa having to provide alternative accommodation for some or all of a guests stay.
These are obviously not known until much closer to they stay and we all ask guests to be aware that this could happen, but is certainly only done for the guests benefit, no owner would willingly turn guests out of their home.
If this is necessary we all ask guest to be flexible and that things will be put right as soon as possible. Unlike an hotel a single home owner cannot move you to another room if yours develops a fault but will usually go out of their way to make your stay as trouble free as possible.
This obviously isnt the case in this instance, but thought it worth mentioning that not every case would necessarily mean that money should be refunded automatically, if you are given alternative accommodation, if the owner can show it is for reasons beyond their control.

LisaAF
30-09-2004, 16:27
Thank you all. I think I will begin to search for a new home. I don't think it will be a problem to get my deposit back, but I may have made a mistake in my moment of self-pity. I asked him to pay me the cancellation fee that he would have expected me to pay had I cancelled the reservation. Wishing I would have just moved on.

You're all correct. I made the reservation against my better judgement because it was such and excellent deal. He was complaining to me that another renter wanted to cancel their reservation because his pool was temporarily not working. He said at least they had a place to stay, they could swim at the water parks. Red flag!

Thank you all for your advice. I'll be thankful that this happened now and not 2 weeks before my vacation.

UK Jane
30-09-2004, 16:27
Hi Lisa

Maybe you should ask yourself how happy you would staying in this person's house, if he has not honoured your agreement.

You could possibly fight him, and force him to back track, but would you then feel 100% happy about staying in his home. Trust plays a big part in parting with your money to a stranger.

Ask for your deposit money back, and re-book ... that would be my advice.

janny
30-09-2004, 16:56
You are better off without him by the sounds of it .He cannot honour your dates nor has he offered to alter them slightly (always assuming that would be ok with you) so to me its a money back situation and start looking for another home. As you say -luckily you have the time .

stabard
30-09-2004, 18:08
Ditto all of the above. He does not sound like the kind of chap you want to be entrusting your vacation to. As has already been said trust is a big thing in the rental game and he would have lost mine. REbook and have a great trip.

ctgirlscout
30-09-2004, 19:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LisaAF

I'll be thankful that this happened now and not 2 weeks before my vacation.

[/quote]

Great way to look at it!!!:)

pbensur
30-09-2004, 20:11
Yes that is a great way to look at it - there is time to remedy the situation. Circumstances do crop up occasionally on either end, the owner's or the renter's. It's really how it's handled that matters the most. This type of treatment is completely unacceptable. This man needs a few lessons in customer service!

I'm so sorry you had this unfortunate experience, Lisa. I do think this man is the exception - most of us owners treat our guests with great respect and bend over backwards to make sure they get the best rental experience possible. Get your deposit back and put this bad experience behind you. I'm sure you will do better the next time. Best of luck to you, Lisa!

Snapper
30-09-2004, 20:13
Do let us know how you get on Lisa. We all love a story with a happy ending.

LisaAF
01-10-2004, 06:18
Thanks again, looks like the owner will send my deposit back without a fight. We'll see. I've enquired about homes but don't want to commit until I'm sure the cancelation of the other home is in writing.

We've rented homes twice before. They were both wonderful experiences (both from great owners in the UK[msnwink]). The last home, we were in during hurricane Charlie. The rental company was overwhelmed so we offered to move our patio furniture in. We had a bit of water in the game room so we dried it the best we could and set up fans and informed the owners. We were happy to do this for the owners, they had been great. (This is the good part) When we got home the owners surprised us with a check to go out to dinner for any inconvienece. Great people! We really appreciated it. There's a happy ending story! Hope this one is as great.

I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks, Lisa

LiesaAnna
01-10-2004, 12:05
fingers crossed Lisa......
glad theres a happy ending[clap]

have a good nose through the forum, am sure you'll find something to suit your needs here. [grin]

CarolAnn
01-10-2004, 14:21
Very pleased for you Lisa[clap]
Start that browsing for a new option, hope this experience doesn't put you off! Happy hunting[msnwink]

Magical Dreams
02-10-2004, 18:23
It makes me go cold when another person can treat you like that!

There are plenty of homes that will be available for your required dates I am sure.
Get your money back and put in an enquiry on here!!

Good luck and have a great time!
[drinkpepsi]

jad
02-10-2004, 20:59
Hi Lisa

I just wanted to add that although you have had a bad experience from an American and 2 great experiences from UK owners please don't think that American owners are like that! Many of the fantastic villas owned on these sites are by Americans (a Brit living in the US)

Jackie

cmcruck
10-10-2004, 14:14
Hi

Hope you get sorted, you never know you will probably get an even nicer villa second time round.

Let us know!:)

Cindy

heathercobbett
13-10-2004, 12:17
I can assure you that most villa owners would never behave like that.Apart from not dreaming of letting down a client we all like repeat business.

You must be legally entitled to your money back and hopefully he wont remain an owner for very long.I think I can speak for the owners on the forum that we dont want owners like that giving us a bad name as we are proud of the service we offer

Good luck!

LisaAF
13-10-2004, 21:56
Happy ending....
The owner sent my deposit back and I will be renting from a very helpful owner, JLBEEKEN. We're looking forward to another wonderful vacation.

The bad news is the guy I rented from is starting a business of vacation rental homes.