PDA

View Full Version : New York-Florida-QE2 Day 23-24

Mo Green
29-09-2004, 05:49
New York

Although the QE2 was not sailing from New York until Sunday we had decided to get to New York 48 hours before departure in order to cover all eventualities – planes grounded, luggage lost etc

For the first time we can remember the traffic on the I-75 came to a complete halt due, we learned later, to an accident on the highway. Arriving at Tampa airport with only an hour to spare we quickly decided that as we were on an internal flight we would use the ‘kerbside’ check-in. It was chaotic with lots of other people obviously having been made late because of the accident. To make matters worse, having unloaded the luggage, Cliff was ordered by security to stay with the car with “If that car blows sir you’re going with it!”

Having dropped off the car we then had to go and pay the fee for taking the car ‘out of state’. We had been told it would be $600 but we were actually charged $450. Fortunately we knew the airport well as we only had a few minutes to spare before boarding. We were flying with Song, Delta’s ‘no-frills’ airline. To our amusement the usual safety tape was half-sung to a Latin-American beat and the usual actions dramatically carried out by the stewardess. For one moment we thought she would break into a song and dance routine!

After a good flight we arrived at La Guardia airport and made our way out to the cab rank. It was somewhat un-nerving to find the driver looked like a double for Sadam Hussein - a brave man to be working in New York. It was the first time I have been in a New York cab and not had a ‘white-knuckle’ ride. Very quickly we were entering the beautiful reception area of our hotel for two nights – The Roosevelt on Madison Avenue.

That evening we decided to go to Times Square which we had not seen on our previous trip to New York. We were slightly disappointed – it was like Piccadilly Circus, London with similar chains of restaurants but larger.

Next morning we were woken by our first road works of the trip – at 7am in the street below our window! We decided to go down to the harbour and see how close we could get to the QM2 which had arrived the day before. We walked to Grand Central Station to get the subway but were distracted by looking round the beautiful station – all marble and not a sign of a train. Inside we found a market of individual shops which would rival Harrods Food Hall.

We found our way to the harbour but it was not possible to get very close to the QM2, the whole area was swarming with police. We also suddenly realized that with thousands of passengers arriving for the two ships next afternoon and only one slip road for taxis to use it could be chaotic.

It was such a beautiful day we decided to take the 3 hour tour by boat round Manhattan Island and hopefully get a photograph of QM2 from the water. It is a great way to see all the famous buildings including of course the Statue of Liberty.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/200492914111_StatueofLiberty.jpg

The northern part was a complete surprise – very green and hilly. Finally at the end of the trip we sailed past QM2 but were ordered further out into the bay by a police boat.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/20049291425_QM2.jpg

Afterwards we went to Ground Zero. Although 9/11 was horrific enough, it was unbelievable to think what could have happened if the towers had not fallen into their own footprint. There were a lot of people there but the whole area was very quiet and somber. On the boat trip we had been told that some people were not allowed back into their homes for a year because asbestos dust had been found. It is hard to imagine what it must be like not to be allowed into your home for a year.

We made our way back by subway to Grand Central Station and decided to eat at a Mexican restaurant we found there. Although the food was great we were the only customers there. The waiter seemed really pleased to have customers from the UK and, after we had finished eating, came and sat with us and talked about what it had been like

LesleyB
29-09-2004, 10:27
Thanks for this snippit Maureen - I love your trip reports. Keep them coming!

We visited New York prior to 9/11 (just the two of us) and thought it was a fantastic place, we will return when the kids are a little older.

Ray&Sarah
29-09-2004, 12:22
Another great report Maureen. We did the 3 hour Manhattan boat tour whilst in NY in August this year. Very infomative and relaxing after rushing around for hours. Have to agree about Times Square it was very much like some areas of London and a bit of a disappointment. But overall NY was superb.[msnsmile]

MaggieAllan
29-09-2004, 12:39
I've only been to NY once and thoroughly enjoyed it - your reports make me yearn to go back even more.I went with a girfriend and stayed with her old school friend who lives( Brooklyn) and works there(Manhattan) - we were very lucky because she knew her way around and saved us plenty of money and time. We were so confident after three days we used the subway back to JFK - and I had been so afraid of using it altogether prior to arrival.

I'd love to go back with my family . Keep up the great reports.

Maggie

Mo Green
29-09-2004, 14:43
We really love New York. This time the extra time was just a bonus. Having waited so long to sail on the QE2 we made sure we would be in New York in plenty of time so we were able to relax and not dash around trying to see everything as we did on our previous trip. We did find people seemed far more friendly this time and the taxi drivers were not quite so mad.

The end of April was a lovely time to go - beautiful weather but not too hot for walking around.

Maureen
http://www.orlandovillas.com/villaview.asp?villa=1267

lisi
29-09-2004, 17:32
Great Mo = really would like to visit New York too - pity I always lack money!!

Lisi :)

linsan
29-09-2004, 17:46
We went to New York the January after 9/11 (courtesy of a friend who's wife wouldn't fly) and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The New Yorkers were and are wonderful people and made us feel so welcome. It was a privilege to be amongst them at that time.