PDA

View Full Version : Fly into Orlando or Tampa

Lee
25-09-2002, 19:35
Hi,
We've just booked a villa for a couple of weeks in July 2003.

We're evaluating our flight options as we're flying from Ireland. We had pretty much arrived at the conclusion that our only route would be to fly from Dublin to Gatwick to Orlando Intl. But an American friend who was visiting recently suggested looking at Tampa. I've just had a look at http://www.expedia.com and it seems that there is a direct flight from Dublin to Orlando albeit a couple of hours longer flying time and about an one and a half hours from Kissimmee. The price is virtually the same.

What's the expert's opinion?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
25-09-2002, 19:46
Hi Lee

If you are staying in Kissimmee, expect around a 30 minute drive from Orlando International (MCO) or 1 hour 10 from Sanford (SFB).

Tampa International (TPA) is about 1 hour 10 minutes away down the Interstate 4 and is almost as convienient.

We've flown into Tampa many times in the past - it's a nice airport, not much more travelling time that MCO from Kissimmee and often has more availability of flights.

I'm not sure about direct flights from Dublin to anywhere in Florida - just looked on expedia.com and they all go via Atlanta or Chicago (this might account for the 'couple of hours longer' you mention).

Hope this helps.

John & Sarah Rooke
www.floridadreamvilla.co.uk
www.orlandovillas.com
www.vacation-rental-villas.com
www.park-tickets.com
www.orlando-guide.info

porky
25-09-2002, 19:58
I am going via Tampa next month as it was a lot cheaper than McCoy. I've just tried flynow.com and all the flights from Dublin have a change in them whether you're going to Tampa or Orlando.

Jacqui

esprit
25-09-2002, 20:04
We have been into Tampa many times and the flights we booked for October were £80 per head cheaper than those we could have got into Orlando. As John states, there is not that much difference timewise between Tampa and Sanford, particularly if you are in a villa on highway 27 which is on the Tampa side. An alternative to driving straight to Kissimmee is to fly in a day or so before your villa stay is due to start and stay overnight in Tampa. There are quite a lot of things to see there, not least Busch Gardens, the brilliant Florida Aquarium and a very good museum. Or you could do the same at the end of your stay of course.

Julie Carty

caroline
25-09-2002, 20:27
Julie - we've got friends staying at Southern Dunes, how far would you say that is from Tampa as opposed to Orlando International?

Caroline

Lee
25-09-2002, 20:31
Thanks to all who replied.

I've just checked again and had a CLOSER look. I just saw a flurry of BA icons and I didn't spot the change in flight number. So either way it looks like a connection.

I suppose we could start swimming now ...

Another thing I've just noticed with Expedia (the cheapest I've come across) is that they won't accept credit card bookings unless the billing address is in the USA. Is there any way around that?

Carla
25-09-2002, 21:00
Try www.expedia.co.uk as you might be on the .com site.

Also try www.ebookers.com as I have always found that they beat expedia on price and choice.

Tampa is my favourite airport and if possible I will always use it rather than Orlando (MCO).

When going home you have a lovely choice of restaurants to while away the time whilst waiting for your flight. There is also no chaos going through security etc. like there always is at Orlando (particularly since 9/11). Very easy to get to and from.

Carla
"It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegone"

esprit
25-09-2002, 21:23
Southern Dunes is further down 27 than we are but I am not sure that you dont have to take the same motorway turn off ( Baseball city intersection) If you do, it would be about the same as to my home which is around one hour as it would be about as far to Southern Dunes from the turn off as we are the other way. If you can come at an earlier exit, it may be less. Porky is on Dunes I think and Shroom?? Which exit do you take?

Julie Carty

bellaepovera
25-09-2002, 22:36
I have flown into Tampa many times from the Uk and i have always paid at least $100 cheaper. I wouldnt stop at looking in Expedia Also you can try a travel agency. Right now the flights from July are very expensive as they have not put in discounts as of yet for Summer months.

patti pacienza

Precious
26-09-2002, 00:51
I like to fly into Tampa. The airport is much quieter and there's less queing for everything. The one thing i would say is that the duty free is not very extensive and the restaurants close early if your flying home late.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-09-2002, 02:33
Lee

I know Air 2000 do a charter flight from MAN - BFS - SFB so if you don't mind the drive up to Belfast you could get a direct flight.

John & Sarah Rooke
www.floridadreamvilla.co.uk
www.orlandovillas.com
www.vacation-rental-villas.com
www.park-tickets.com
www.orlando-guide.info

phil moloney
26-09-2002, 03:53
Hello Lee,
virgin are supposed to be flying directly from Dublin to Orlando in the summer months. When I fly from Dublin to NY , Boston or one of the US cities I clear immigration before leaving Dublin, then you go straight through when you get to the US. When I went via the UK I did not have this advantage. Your waiting time in London can be long.
Avoid stopping in Shannon if possible, as that makes it 3 flights.

phil moloney

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-09-2002, 14:06
Phil has a good point.

Ireland is one of the few countries that actually has US immigration onsite (Canada being the one other one I can think of) so you can clear customs before you board the plane saving valuable time when you arrive in the US.

Lee
26-09-2002, 14:31
We went to Hawaii a few years ago and I can remember unexpectedly hitting imigration in Dublin airport before we left.

I tried looking at flights on Expedia's UK website but that seems to have the same booking restriction as the US website (i.e. UK credit cards only). I could arrange for it to be done through relations but I'm curious as to why this is imposed. I'll probably ring anyway when we're ready to book.

Thanks for the Virgin tip Phil but at the moment their website indicates a stopover. Also, their prices are well above the odds. If I look at their most expensive price, it's £20,089.60 for 3 adults and a 2 year old on a return journey!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-09-2002, 14:49
Lee

You could look at www.netflights.com who we've used in the past and have very good fares. Might be able to do it from Dublin with them.

phil moloney
27-09-2002, 05:34
Lee, Try the Dublin based operators Tour America 01 8780400 and world Travel 01 4167097. They will not have the specials for July / Aug released for another 2-3 weeks.
I spoke to them a few days ago. Prices are up on last year!
Phil

Lee
27-09-2002, 13:22
Will do. Thanks Phil.

Thanks everyone.

porky
27-09-2002, 19:01
Caroline,

Julie is right, it is the same exit of the I-4 (55)to get to Southern Dunes. However, to do that you have to travel up the I4 then come back down the 27. I intend to do what I did last time and take exit 48 to Lake Alfred. You then follow the 17,) and will come out 1 traffic light down from Southern Dunes.

When are you friends going? I'm going over there in the next few weeks and can get some proper miles and directions for them from Tampa if you'd like.

Jacqui

caroline
27-09-2002, 19:42
Thanks for the offer Jacqui - their not going until August next year but they've just been trying to book flights and there's 10 of them so it's proving tricky - you'd think that it would be easy for next August! but they've been told by the person that owns the villa that Tampa is closer to Southern Dunes than the International airport ?? - I was really just trying to get some drive times for them.

porky
28-09-2002, 13:19
Caroline,

A list I have on distances (provided by a Haines City website) staes that Tampa International is 55 miles and 1 hours drive away and McCoy is 35 miles and 30 minutes away. I shall see in a few weeks time just how acurate that is. We once got to McCoy in 20 minutes from Southern Dunes - mind you it was 6.00 am and we weren't hanging around:D

Jacqui

PS Martin, I have taken heed of your speeding warnings for this next visit[8D]