PDA

View Full Version : Driving from tampa

Rodney
28-09-2004, 19:45
I know I've got a long time to wait but flight tickets have arrived already:D:D:D:D
We arrived at Sanford Airport last time and after getting lost big time, falling out with my co-driver(son), eventually found our way to I-Drive[msnembarrased]. This time its Tampa. Whats the best route to Kissimee from Tampa. What about tolls and how long will it take.

Rodney

Snapper
28-09-2004, 21:48
Hi Rodney,

I did exactly this same drive this summer when I had to fly into Tampa instead of Orlando due to hurricane Charley. It's a dead easy (and nice) drive.

From the airport pick-up I-275 East. This will run you on to I-4 East. I-4 will bring you straight up to the Kissimmee area.

If you are heading for a villa, ask the owner for the exit number off I-4 and directions from this exit to the villa.

A good thing to remember too is that interstate exit numbers in Florida are not like the UK; they match the distances. So, for example exit 55 is where I-4 joins US-27. If you've just gone past exit 41 you'd have 14 more miles to go to exit 55.

dan
28-09-2004, 22:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steveharrison
A good thing to remember too is that interstate exit numbers in Florida are not like the UK; they match the distances. So, for example exit 55 is where I-4 joins US-27. If you've just gone past exit 41 you'd have 14 more miles to go to exit 55.
[/quote]I didn't know this Steve and I've been using the I-4 for years[:I]

LesleyB
28-09-2004, 22:46
Be prepared for a bit of a jam if you arrive on a Friday and leave the airport around 5ish - there is a bottleneck getting on to the I4 which we never seem to be able to avoid and has added 30 minutes on to our journey each time (three times now, once coming from the aiport and twice after a day on the coast). You would think we would learn by now [msnscared]. Apart from that, a really easy enjoyable drive.

Jill
28-09-2004, 23:03
We often use the back road out from Tampa which goes through Plant City and Winter Haven,it is an interesting route and avoids the bottleneck you talk of. At Christmas the houses on the route were lovely as the owners had taken a lot of care and trouble with their outside decorations. This route is not for everyone but works for us as our villa is at Southern Dunes.

porky
29-09-2004, 11:24
Jill,

That sounds like a different route to the one I take. I come off the junction before exit 55 (can't remember the number) then turn left onto what I would class as a typical English country lane. This brings you to the traffic lights near Walgreens and one light down from SD. Hubby likes you use this road to test the cars handling.:D

I shall be using that road tomorrow evening. Hooray!:D

Jacqui

LiesaAnna
29-09-2004, 11:29
that mean your off to florida tomorrow then Jacqui??:D

Hope you have a fab time, all thinking of you!!!!!!!!!!
looking really <span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><span style="color:green">GREEN</span id="green"></span id="Century Gothic">

Jill
29-09-2004, 12:04
Jacqui Have a safe trip and a super time. Try and avoid the Enclave Suites area or you might find Tyson with a long list of post holiday questions. You make me positively green with envy as we are still trying to juggle exam timetables to find a slot for our next visit.

We do not use the I4 at all on this route. Have stopped at the Lakeland Mall on the way through before as well, it is not too far off route.

porky
30-09-2004, 00:37
Thanks, I'll try and have a good trip. I must look up the other route. I shall definately avoid the Enclave Suites, we do not want a murder commited:D

Jacqui

becbecs
08-06-2009, 21:32
As the following was a thread from 2004, is this still the case with exiting Tampa Airport to get to the US27/I4 Junction as we are flying to Tampa on our Oct Trip and our Villa is on the US27. Not concered once we are out of Tampa as the rest is straight forward, just wondered if its as easy as writtern below.

<span style="color:blue">From the airport pick-up I-275 East. This will run you on to I-4 East. I-4 will bring you straight up to the Kissimmee area.</span id="blue">