PDA

View Full Version : Links problem

Nostromo
27-09-2004, 17:14
One of the obvious but understandable problems in these forums is the fact that most links are blotted out ;). DM's to members can be awkward because several others will then want the same DM for the info. (For example, I was asked by over 15 people for the link on cheap DVDs). I was wondering if there is a way around this situation.

What if all members (as opposed to guests) have to agree to a condition promising not to use links for their own advertising or for whatever purpose that makes links now off limits? Then, there can be a Links Forum which only members can access by passwords. Violaters can be suitably penalised.

Just asking. :)

Nostromo

amy
27-09-2004, 18:32
The links that are edited are usually the ones whick direct you to other sites offering services that are on offer on all the links at the top of the page, why direct some one from your own site to buy elsewhere.in some cases like your CD link, members of the site not be gaining but someother link on that site may be advertising property of car hire etc, John and Roger have put a lot of hard work in to maintaining the site and therefore don't want to steer people away from here.

Nostromo
27-09-2004, 19:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
The links that are edited are usually the ones whick direct you to other sites offering services that are on offer on all the links at the top of the page, why direct some one from your own site to buy elsewhere.in some cases like your CD link, members of the site not be gaining but someother link on that site may be advertising property of car hire etc, John and Roger have put a lot of hard work in to maintaining the site and therefore don't want to steer people away from here.
[/quote]

I know what you are saying, but find it a bit hard to understand the logic of it. First off, I doubt if there are any other sites of whatever nature that offer better Orlando value than the OV links. Even if there are, what are a few pounds compared to the goodwill of the 'forum friends'? But if someone is determined to find a solution to any problem, a keyword search with Google will almost certainly get it, including my DVD link and almost every other one we have DMed to each other.

I think a solemn agreement could work well. I for one would keep my word as long I remained a member.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-09-2004, 20:09
Amy sums it up well.

Another reason is because any link that is posted will get indexed by the search engines and counted as a "vote of confidence" in the site that is linked to, which helps them with their SE positions. We're not about to help promote competitors sites like this as it just does not make sound business sense.

It's a really tough one as the last thing we want to do is over-police the forums but we have to also ensure we do not "promote" competitors sites like this as the other sites we have are what helps keep these forums well promoted and free. The bandwidth they use every month costs a small fortune as we have hits per week comfortably into the 7 figures and sometimes more.

We are ok with links to sites that do not advertise any other villas or sell car hire, flights or attraction tickets. The main problem is a lot of Florida related sites have started to diversify and have one or more of these on their site - often hard to find but there nonetheless.

If you have a link to a site that matches these criteria (like I suspect your DVD site does) then we have absolutely no problem with you quoting the link in a posting [msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by amy
[/quote]

I know what you are saying, but find it a bit hard to understand the logic of it. First off, I doubt if there are any other sites of whatever nature that offer better Orlando value than the OV links. Even if there are, what are a few pounds compred to the goodwill of the 'forum friends'? But if someone is determined to find answers to any problem, a keyword search with Google will almost certainly answer it, including my DVD link and almost every other one we have DMed to each other.

I think a solemn agreement could work well. I for one would keep my word as long I remained a member.
[/quote]

Nostromo
27-09-2004, 21:14
Thanks John (or Sarah). I did not know about SE Indexing, bandwidths and such like. That explains it then. In future, I'll check any link for Florida related sub-links before trying to post it.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-09-2004, 21:32
Thanks for your understanding Nostromo. It's a sore point for us as we'd really not like to have to be so strict on the links but have to from a commericial viewpoint.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Thanks John (or Sarah). I did not know about SE Indexing, bandwidths and such like. That explains it then. In future, I'll check any link for Florida related sub-links before trying to post it.
[/quote]

tezz7628
28-09-2004, 02:04
haven't come across it personally yet

does your system look through the posted links automatically, or do you have to do it yourself, for any suspect advertising?