PDA

View Full Version : Sitting at the back of the plane

Pluto
26-09-2004, 21:03
Hi

We have booked seats in Row 62 (Virgin) and I am now wondering whether I should change the seats, having read on another thread that one is more likely to suffer from travel sickness at the back of the plane:(

Has anyone sat at the back and experienced this.

adh619
26-09-2004, 21:12
nope, but like the thrust of the engines ( am I a freak):D

pieman790
26-09-2004, 21:26
From other threads and personal experiences you get more noise at the rear of the plane plus you at the back of the imigration queue when you arrive in the USA.

Jules
26-09-2004, 21:53
Hi Pluto,

We always try to get the back 2 rows on the Virgin flights because the layout is 2, 4, 2 so you get an aisle seat and a window seat with more room on the window side. Never had a problem with travel sickness and never noticed a problem with the noise being any worse. We fly from Manchester(I don't know what the planes are like from Gatwick)there are 6 toilets at the back and lots of room behind the back row of 4 seats so have never had a problem with people queing for the loo. This also means that there is room to get up and move about without having to wait for the trolleys to go past.

As far as the immigration queue goess we have never had much of a problem as long as all the desks are open, the distance from the gate to immigration is quite long and as there are only 2 or 4 in our party (all adults)we usually manage to pass lots of groups with young children or older people in their party, it might be more of a problem if you are travelling with young children.

26-09-2004, 21:56
I am ex crew and have worked on many Boeings and can tell you its a fact that there is more noise and more movement at the rear of any aircraft with wing mounted engines, also if the toilets are at the rear there are often people queing and it can can a bit smelly!!:D

heathercobbett
27-09-2004, 23:48
I believe it is safer to travel at the rear.

Perhaps somebody can confirm this?

28-09-2004, 00:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett

[/quote]

Statistically Yes, without getting too morbid if an aircraft has a impact and breaks up the tail section including a few rows of seats break off.

It is also much safer to sit rear facing, but how many airlines have rear facing seats these days???

Air travel is the safest form of transport so I would not sit at the rear just for that reason.

ellie
28-09-2004, 00:09
If your number is 'up' it won't make any difference where you sit, but it certainly is noisier and bumpier the further back you go. :)

Ellie

Ray&Sarah
28-09-2004, 00:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
If your number is 'up' it won't make any difference where you sit, but it certainly is noisier and bumpier the further back you go. :)

Ellie
[/quote]

Thats my philosophy too Ellie!:D

ellie
28-09-2004, 00:16
:) Sarah and Ray. Actually think the smelly toilets after a transatlantic flights are the worst part!

Ellie

Snapper
28-09-2004, 00:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett

[/quote]

To use the words of David Gunsen (an ex air traffic controller who is a wickedly good after dinner speaker) it is safer at the back of the aircraft; and to convince yourself of this, try to remember when you last heard of a plane reversing into a mountain. [msnwink]

As the addage continues; for the safest seat on the plane, try to find the one closest to where the 'black box' is located. What's the first thing a rescue crew always look for.

Ray&Sarah
28-09-2004, 00:24
To use the words of David Gunsen (an ex air traffic controller who is a wickedly good after dinner speaker) it is safer at the back of the aircraft; and to convince yourself of this, try to remember when you last heard of a plane reversing into a mountain. [msnwink]

As the addage continues; for the safest seat on the plane, try to find the one closest to where the 'black box' is located. What's the first thing a rescue crew always look for.
[/quote]

LOL Steve!:D

MTP
28-09-2004, 00:26
We have travelled on the equivalent seats on a Air Newzealand Jumbo and if you get the side two seats (A&C or H&K) then the extra space is nice.

28-09-2004, 00:29
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,

And what colour is the 'black box'????

ORANGE!!!!;)

And yes its located in the roof at the rear of the aircraft!

adh619
28-09-2004, 00:36
not sure travelling at the back is safer, I have never heard of anyone walking from a crash because they sat at the back of a plane:D

28-09-2004, 00:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by adh619
not sure travelling at the back is safer, I have never heard of anyone walking from a crash because they sat at the back of a plane:D
[/quote]

It is a fact, but I always sit as close to the front as my bank balance will allow!!![msnsmile2]

ellie
28-09-2004, 02:40
How many people actually walk away from a plane crash? If it has a problem on the ground the thing that could save your life is a smoke hood - but do they have them? No!

I'd be more worried about the loos, myself as the chances of inhaling the fumes from them are infinitely more likely than crashing!

So if you can afford First Class, and its up the front, go for it!!!!

Ellie

wilfy
28-09-2004, 02:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah

To use the words of David Gunsen (an ex air traffic controller who is a wickedly good after dinner speaker)
[/quote]

And if you hear a dunk-dunk-dunk dunk as you start to taxi , someone has forgotton to remove the steps to the door!

I'd forgotton all about Mr Gunsen, we have a tape of his somewhere, and it's an absolute hoot.

domster
28-09-2004, 23:16
siting at the back can be more noisy, just make sure it is not the two seats that have the aisle behind. Think these are the ones that don't recline properly.

Might be totally wrong mind you![:o)]

DOM