PDA

View Full Version : fatal accident of revenge of the mummy

WR1
26-09-2004, 12:08
This accident really makes no sense to me but it was serious as someone was killed in it. the man was attempting to board the stoped ride vechicle at the loading station he was supposed to be going into the front row and he somehow ended up trying to step in front of the car and fell 4 feet in the track area. Like I said this sounds like a very wierd accident and I can't event think of how it happend. I'm trying to remember how the gates open and I can't remember for the life of me. here's a link to the article at local 6 news

http://www.local6.com/news/3752688/detail.html

pieman790
26-09-2004, 12:27
Cannot believe that three hours after the accident they actually opened the ride again. Perhaps they didnt know that the person was dead. I would have thought that health and safety would have wanted a full investigation into the accident before it could re-open.

KarenScott
26-09-2004, 13:02
I think if I read the article correctly the guy died the day after whilst in hospital. All in all very sad and it seems very strange how it happened!
Bless his poor family.

Nostromo
26-09-2004, 13:21
I just read the Local6 article about this accident on the link provided by WR1 and it seems like a very unfortunate and freakish accident. But in defence of the ride's organisers, we cannot really blame them given the circumstances. For a start, the ride was stationary, and so the episode cannot be blamed on mechanical failure or ride safety. Then we don't know the details of the victim's attempt at boarding the car - for instance, was he trying to force his way into the front row which many people fancy? Did someone else get in his way? If he was shouldered out of the way by someone behind also trying to get into the front row, he could have fallen in front of the car as it seems to have happened. Finally, if he fell only 4 feet and was conscious and complaining of pain immediatly afterwards, all concerned, probably including the man's wife, might have assumed that the injury was not serious.

The chances are that he might have suffered an intracranial haemorrhage when he hit his head in the fall, the effects of which did not become obvious immediatly. As I said, an unfortunate, freak accident.

The ride organisers probably did not realise that the man had died when they decided to re-open the ride.

Cruella DeVilla
26-09-2004, 13:31
OH MY!

LiesaAnna
26-09-2004, 14:22
it says a day after, after surgery, (blood clot maybe)so no reason to keep the ride shut as he didnt die until the next day, poor chap
bless the family, our thoughts are with the family, after all these parks are meant to be fun so very sad,
but let it be a a lesson to others not to muck about on these rides etc........

Nostromo
26-09-2004, 16:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna

But let it be a a lesson to others not to muck about on these rides etc........
[/quote]

You're right. Was there not a fatality in a Blackpool coaster earlier this year when a young girl managed to fall out during the ride becuse her safety harness was not fastened properly or something?

MaggieAllan
26-09-2004, 20:34
We were there the day this happened. As we walked towards the ride we were ushered away and told that it was not running at the present time. Assuming mechanical breakdown we carried on and had a drink before catching the 12.15 Blues Bros. The only thing we noticed different that day was we were stopped and interviewed 3 times by staff - but nothing about the ride - just general questions about where we came from and they scanned our tickets - so probably totally unconnected with the accident - just checking where everyone was from as the park was so quiet?
Anyway, we then carried on around the lake catching all the rides and then around 4pm we went back to Mummy and walked straight in ( after checking our bags/sunglasses/hats etc into the lockers at the entrance - tip - there are screens in each bank of lockers and not just the ones you can see from the queue)We were totally unaware of any accident and still thought that they had just got the ride going again. When we got to the front we were placed in the second row - the front row being left empty - now we know why - at the time we thought fastpassers might get in in a minute but they never did.
My heart goes out to the family of the Apopka man - we caught the news that evening back at the house - it made us go cold as we had enjoyed the ride so much. But, it is reported that this could have happend anywhere and was a freak accident and nothing to do with the ride itself.
Maggie