PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

millie
26-09-2004, 00:04
My husband wants to buy a 5 megapixel digital camera on our forst night in Orlando. Does anyone have any opinions on the best place to go. Last time we bought one in Walmart which was good value but as he wants it for the first day in the parks he does not really have a lot of time to shop about.

Any hints would be great!

brizzle
26-09-2004, 13:13
People have pointed out that this country is about the same price for a lot of digital cameras.
I am currently looking at the same (after darling daughter broke my current camera) but will get it from this country before I go to the US.

This has been covered before and some camera's will have worldwide warranty some won't.

And then of course you are only allowed to bring back £145 worth of goods.

Brizzle

27-09-2004, 00:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
People have pointed out that this country is about the same price for a lot of digital cameras.
I am currently looking at the same (after darling daughter broke my current camera) but will get it from this country before I go to the US.

This has been covered before and some camera's will have worldwide warranty some won't.

And then of course you are only allowed to bring back £145 worth of goods.

Brizzle
[/quote]

You can bring back more than £145 worth if you declare them and pay the duty!

We have bought dig cams and they have always been alot cheaper in the US and always carried a world wide warranty.

millie
27-09-2004, 20:16
Or of course not declare at all and then you have to pay no duty. After all how do they know you bought it in the US? *Cheeky!*

Where do you think is the best place to look?

KevinT
27-09-2004, 20:34
Hi Laura,
You didn't say what area you are staying in. There are loads of camera shops on and around the US 192 and on International Drive. The indoor market near Old Town on the 192 has a couple of small camera shops with good deals. There are more upmarket camera shops in the Florida Mall (near intersection of Orange Blossom Trail and Sand Lake Rd.) Prices are certainly evening out between UK & US especially on the internet, but I agree it's nice to look in new shops and compare prices etc.

Happy snapping, you'll have to put some of the photos on the forum when you get back! [msnsmile2]

linda.s
27-09-2004, 20:46
We recently bought a digital camera here in the UK, as the price really wasn't that different to the US prices after I had done a trawl of the UK shops and internet sites. I like to buy from places such as Jessops, as they provide a great local service (have one in our town) and they offer additional warranty at quite a low cost. Jessops will also price match on any product available from a UK store, be it shop or internet based, so we actually saved about £150 by using that, and it was about £30 more than the US.

chrisj
28-09-2004, 12:06
Thats what I did , Got Jessops to price match and it worked out roughly £20 cheaper, take into
account the warranty issue etc I think its better to buy from the UK at the moment

brizzle
28-09-2004, 15:44
I can confirm I did the price match yesterday and got the price reduced 12% by Jessops when they price matched Dabs.com with a Dimage Z3.

They did try to say that they only price match UK based companies and this is a .com website so wasn't UK (even though the price was in GBP).
I explained that it is a UK based company and they can have a .com address if they buy that domain. They rang the Jessops helpdesk and they confirmed it very quickly within seconds.

Brizzle.