PDA

View Full Version : 16th to 23rd September 2004

MaggieAllan
25-09-2004, 19:38
Hi Everyone

Back yesterday morning on time, had a brilliant week - extremely lucky with the weather - missed Ivan and back before Jeanne - bit bumpy on the flights either way - but otherwise fantastic weather - hit 104f one day on our car display. Was very humid some days but the breeze from Ivan made it pleasant. Very, very quiet around the parks - longest queue was 15 mins - most just walked straight on.

Car Hire : Only allowed to give us half tank of gas( due to Gulf hit with Ivan) - free upgrade to compensate: very worried that we might only have that to last the week as travelling along 417 all gas stations boarded up - relief when we got to 192 - gas stations open and no problems for the rest of the week.

Hurricane damage: Along 417 from Sanford and along the east end of the 192 very noticable : everywhere else saw the odd tarp and sign damage, shingles missing, trees down.

Highlights for us: Our wedding anniversary 22/9 spent at Universal studios
( meal after see low lights)
Empty parks - no queues - because of hurricanes - really brought it home the effects they had had - had many a chat with locals enquiring how they had been impacted - they really appreciated our concern and also that we were still visiting as the industry had taken such a hard knock. Met 4 young ladies from the south east coast who had come for a few days having been without power for 9 to 12 days - they said they felt lucky - their spirits were high and they were really friendly - we went round Popeye water ride with them twice as we were all up for it and got absolutley soaked!
Cracker Barrel: not used it on previous visits but really loved their food : we used the one on 192 near Spendid China : we had two breakfasts and an evening meal there : loads of choice and VEGETABLES!

Low-lights: Meal at Hard rock Cafe: had made a PX for 8pm 22/9 but decided as we had got round the park so quickly to go at 5pm : only one couple in front of us : we asked if we could swap to an earlier slot explaining we had a PX ( we knew the answer would be yes as the parks were so empty, but just wanted to be polite and ask): after looking at me as if I was thick, was told we could , so I said did she want to cancel the Px on her computer - no was the reply, with no friendliness: keep smiling I thought as we went to our table: ordered two combo starters for the four of us and drinks, which took ages( the place was empty)and then as we were half way through the starters a man who had not been serving us came and gave us our main courses : I mentioned that we had a full table and that we had not finished so there was neither room on the table or in our stomachs yet: he continued to take our starters away and then asked if we wanted the mains to be put to one side???? I said just carry on as I had given up on being served correctly.So we tried our main courses - cold - I think they had been waiting for us already and the girl serving had asked the help of a male colleague to deliver the mains as she could see were not ready. Anyway, it was not the end to our anniversary day that we had hoped for, but we put it behind us as it was the only problems we had the whole week.

We had a fantastic week and are looking forward now to our next one 25th December to 1st January.

Maggie and family

Newhomebuyer
25-09-2004, 20:26
No wonder you had a good time Maggie, you have a great attitude.
I am glad you escaped the hurricanes, it isn't easy ....I managed to catch 2 during my visit, but we had a good time as well. It was the local people who I felt sympathy for.

Elaine62
26-09-2004, 04:15
you should give feedback on the hardrock cafe site about your experience. We had a bad experience in te HC cafe in Edinburgh and were given a complimentary meal to make up for it, which was great.

Elaine

MaggieAllan
28-09-2004, 12:50
Elaine

I've sent an email today - did not want to mither them during Jeanne - and I'll see what happens.

Maggie

Nostromo
28-09-2004, 20:20
Glad you had a good time overall. We had our 26th Wedding Anniversary in Orlando in the Spring, but our planned celebration at the Polynesian Luau Dinner Show was rained out - practically the only day it rained heavily!

Bad restaurant service is a pain, especially when you consider that they charge so much. We had a similar experience at Bongos in Downtown Disney. Unlike Bongos, I hope that Hard Rock listen to your complaint and apologise.