Lisi,
both the below are on in October and may coincide with your visit:
Punta Gorda Waterfront Foods-Arts-Jazz Festival TEL 941 639 3720
Southwest Florida Boat Show-Fishermans Village Punta Gorda TEL 941 639 8721

have a good holiday and i would be interested in reading a trip report
andrew

lisi
23-09-2004, 23:25
Andrew thankyou. I just read Mo Green's trip report and it sounds just knockout - can't wait to go and see some of the wildlife. It seems so different from Orlando and Disney which I loved but am ready this year for a change. I just want to know where all the places are that she has spoken about. I am dying to see Fishermens Village too. Which beach would you say is best?:):D

Lisi

andrewmckay5
23-09-2004, 23:43
We've only been down to Gaspirilla Island to the restaurant on the beach.Too busy with the villa on the last 2 visits to do too much sight seeing but we are going to make up for it this xmas. Plus our daughter has just turned 2 so many beach visits in the next few years..
I know Ruth has been to a few of the beaches, hopefully she should post.
andrew

Ruth
24-09-2004, 01:36
The best ones for me are on Boca Grande, not many people, lots of wildlife, very clean and basic facilities. I also like Englewood beach and Stump Pass. The journey to Siesta Key for me was not worth it, too many people on it (nice lifeguards though;)). The best of all was on Don Pedro island but it is only accessible by boat[8D]

The Italian Job
24-09-2004, 01:47
Here is the information I give to my guests:

Local Beaches

The Sea Turtle nesting/hatching season is from 1st May to 31st October. Any nests will be fenced off on the beach. Female turtles lay about 80-120 white leathery eggs in one nest. Sea turtles eggs incubate in the sand for about two months before hatching. Nesting turtles lay tens of thousands of eggs each summer but only one in 1,000 hatchlings survive. All sea turtles are protected under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, Florida Statute 370, and cited Charlotte County Ordinances. The following rules should be obeyed:
• Do not interfere with nesting females, eggs or hatchlings. (Ord. 98-41).
• Leave nests, markers, signs and protective screens undisturbed. (Ord. 98-41).
• Shield or turn off all lights that shine on the beach. This includes car headlights, fishing lamps, flashbulbs, and flashlights. (Ord. 98-41).
• Motorized vehicles prohibited in beach. (Ord. 98-41).

Boca Grande Beaches (State Park - Toll $3.50)
10 miles into the village, turn right and follow the road to the public beaches. $2 entrance fee includes parking, picnic tables, BBQs, restrooms and showers.

Englewood Beach (parking meter 25c per hour) 15 minutes away
Picnic tables, BBQs, playground, volleyball, restrooms and showers.

Manasota Beach
North end of Manasota Key. Picnic tables, BBQs, restrooms and showers.

Middle Beach (Blind Pass) 20 minutes away
Right at Englewood beach, 3 miles north, restrooms and showers.

Stump Pass (State Park - Entrance fee $2.00) 18 minutes away
Left at T junction at Englewood beach and follow road to the end. Over 1 mile of beach. Parking and restrooms.

Don Pedro Island
This is a state park accessible only by private boat. There is a picnic pavilion, restrooms, tables and BBQ grills.

Siesta Key
On the way to Sarasota this is one of the finest beaches in the world. The sand is special and does not get hot. There is free parking, lifeguards, restrooms, showers, refreshments, children's play area, BBQs and picnic tables, tennis court.

Mo Green
24-09-2004, 04:18
I agree the best beach is at Don Pedro Island. You can actually get to it from the ferry which runs from the end of a small road to the right of Palm Island Marina in Placida Road. At $50 per car for non-residents it must be one of the most expensive ferrys per distance covered. Foot passengers are free but be prepared for a hot walk to the beach and take something to drink - there are no shops or restaurants.

Maureen
www.orlandovillas.com/villaview.asp?villa=1267

lisi
24-09-2004, 12:06
Thanks so much to you all - I simply can't wait and will go loaded now with printouts from this forum!:D

Lisi