PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Gardens Update

Tim Barry
23-09-2004, 11:32
Hi All

The open is getting closer just alittle set back because of the Hurricanes though.

Cypress Gardens To Feature Retooled Water Show

While famous for the botanical gardens, Cypress Gardens was well-known for one other activity -- water-skiing. And come Nov. 18, tentatively, there will be water-skiing at the park once again.

That's the day the attraction is expected to reopen, and water-skiing will be an important part of the experience at the Cypress Gardens Adventure Park, but it won't be the same old show.

The new owner, Kent Buescher, has hired Water Ski Shows Inc., of Sevierville, Tenn., to put on the park's ski shows.

'We're going to put in some special effects that weren't there before,' said Gary Thompson, WSSI president and owner. 'It's going to be a show specific to Cypress Gardens.'

After an ambitious plan to reopen the park this summer proved impossible because of the amount of work that needed to be done, Buescher announced an October opening. Then Hurricane Charley came in August, causing extensive damage to the botanical gardens and several structures at the park, forcing Buescher to delay opening until November.

Cypress Gardens is one of Florida's oldest attractions, but attendance had waned for several years before it closed April 13, 2003. Respect for water-skiing in Polk County hasn't suffered too much, Thompson said.

'With the gardens leading the way, that can all be recaptured,' he said. 'There's no place in the world with the history of water-skiing like Cypress Gardens.'

Skiers will begin rehearsing for the first show in a few weeks.

Because the show will be operated out of only one of the park's waterfront theaters, it will be tighter and closer to the audience, said Voisard, who lives in Eagle Lake.

'The new shows probably won't be as big, but they will be just as exciting,' Voisard said. 'It's going to be action-packed.'

Besides the United States, Thompson's company has produced ski shows in Asia and Europe, including a year-round show at Germany's Holiday Park.

While Hurricane Charley has delayed the opening, work has continued the last two months.

Many of the park's 36 amusement rides, including four roller coasters, are nearing completion.

'We may be ready to test the wooden roller coaster this week,' she said. 'The Island in the Sky was working last week. We're calling it the Sunshine Sky Adventure now.'

Most work to restore the botanical gardens and its draping tree canopies was complete when the storm struck.

All the effort will no doubt be worth it when the visitors return

Tim

Rich-n-Ang
23-09-2004, 15:00
Tim

Was slightly confused for a while with this one - can I suggest you change the topic title from "Busch" to "Cypress", or does an Administrator have to do that ?

Good news about the re-opening though.

Nostromo
23-09-2004, 20:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tim Barry
Hi All

That's the day the attraction is expected to reopen, and water-skiing will be an important part of the experience at the Cypress Gardens Adventure Park, but it won't be the same old show.

The new owner, Kent Buescher, has hired Water Ski Shows Inc., of Sevierville, Tenn., to put on the park's ski shows.

"We're going to put in some special effects that weren't there before," said Gary Thompson, WSSI president and owner. "It's going to be a show specific to Cypress Gardens."

Cypress Gardens is one of Florida's oldest attractions, but attendance had waned for several years before it closed April 13, 2003. Respect for water-skiing in Polk County hasn't suffered too much, Thompson said.

"With the gardens leading the way, that can all be recaptured," he said. "There's no place in the world with the history of water-skiing like Cypress Gardens."

Skiers will begin rehearsing for the first show in a few weeks.

Because the show will be operated out of only one of the park's waterfront theaters, it will be tighter and closer to the audience, said Voisard, who lives in Eagle Lake.

"The new shows probably won't be as big, but they will be just as exciting," Voisard said. "It's going to be action-packed."

Besides the United States, Thompson's company has produced ski shows in Asia and Europe, including a year-round show at Germany's Holiday Park.

Most work to restore the botanical gardens and its draping tree Tim
[/quote]

Oh dear! This sounds very much like promoter speak and I fear the 'new' Ski-show sounds like a very downscaled version. It was one of the top attractions in CG and I was hoping that it would be reinstated in all its old-fashioned glory. I don't like the sound of these "special effects"........[msnsad]

esprit
24-09-2004, 07:27
Hope they have the poinsettias and fairy lights at Xmas still.

janny
05-12-2004, 14:54
Cypress is due to open officially on the 9th of this month

lots of shows planned from Chubby Checker to Pat Boone and Loretta Lynne .Prices include shows and the park
Regular Admission ticket (Age 10-54) $34.95, plus tax
Seniors (55 and over) $29.95, plus tax
Juniors (3-9) $29.95, plus tax
Children 2 and under Free
Admission includes a second day free for six days following the park visit.

A special Grand Opening price of $29.95, plus tax, will
be offered for all admissions through Feb. 28, 2005!

they also offer yearly pass

Passport 2005 are $64.95. Passports will be sold at the Cypress Gardens Adventure Park main ticket entrance beginning October 30th, 2004. Passport 2005’s will be valid from date of purchase through Dec.31st, 2005. The Passport 2005 will provide unlimited admissions, including all concerts and special events, to Cypress Gardens Adventure Park, Wild Adventures Theme Park in Valdosta, GA and Splash Island Water Parks in both locations.

http://cypressgardens.com/welcome.asp

Fletch
05-12-2004, 16:39
Thanks Janny - this is one of the "must-do's" on our itinerary for January 05. Is that price "on the gate", or can you buy them in the UK in advance?

Fletch
05-12-2004, 16:41
Me again - we've got a slight quandary here, as we would like to see Chubby Checker at Cypress Gardens, but Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons are appearing on the SAME day at Silver Springs. Difficult call, but I think Frankie Vallie will win out.

MaggieAllan
05-12-2004, 16:51
Fletch

I love Franki Valli & the Four Seasons....do you have a tour dates guide please

Fletch
05-12-2004, 16:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
Fletch

I love Franki Valli & the Four Seasons....do you have a tour dates guide please
[/quote]

Hi Maggie

I know they have at least one other gig in Florida in January. Will try to find the website where I go the info from.

janny
05-12-2004, 17:15
Fletch can't see anywhere to buy online but as to whether any Agents will have them I don't know and Franki Valli is performing
January 19, 2005
Wednesday, 7:00 Pm Broward Center Fort Lauderdale, Florida

January 20th
Ruth Eckerd Hall Clearwater 7.00pm

MaggieAllan
05-12-2004, 18:04
Fletch

I've been googling myself and can find the few dates in Jan & Feb and also some Las Vegas, bud I can't find an official site anywhere???

Was hoping I might find world tour dates but appears they only do the US???

Big Girls Don't Cry, so I'll Walk Like A Man and sing Lets Hang On To What We've Got to chear myself up.

I might have a Sherry too.

Lesley S
09-12-2004, 18:37
Cypress Gardens opens today

After 19 months and 45-million dollars, the new and improved Cypress Gardens officially opens its doors today!

Lt. governor Toni Jennings is among those set to attend today's grand-reopening.

Back in April of 2003, Florida's oldest attraction shut down because of falling attendance and money troubles.

However, it was then purchased and fixed up by Georgia theme park owner Kent Buesher.

The new and improved Cypress Gardens features 38 new rides, including four roller coasters.

The park has been open on weekends since Thanksgiving, but after today, it will be open all week.

LiesaAnna
18-12-2004, 04:56
advertised as opened when we were there!!!!!!!!!!!

SunLover
18-12-2004, 11:19
It will be really interesting to see if this park has been given a new lease of life.. I certainly hope so.:)

Nostromo
18-12-2004, 12:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
It will be really interesting to see if this park has been given a new lease of life.. I certainly hope so.:)
[/quote]

I do too. But I hope that at least some of the old 'relaxed garden atmosphere' has been retained. I'd rather it remains one of the "alternative" places to go for a change than become "just another theme park".

LiesaAnna
18-12-2004, 20:41
it was advertised on Bay news 9 that it was a theme park, it showed the gardens still and the ladies still waltzing around in their posh frocks!, dont think its like universal types tho, it has 4 rollercoaster rides!

jolliffee
18-12-2004, 21:00
I just read a report that said CG was doing very, well since it had re-opened but needed more time to build up credability.

LiesaAnna
18-12-2004, 21:12
dont think it will take long![msnwink]

benfilo
19-12-2004, 02:12
we may be going over in a month , just for a week or less. My wife says we can't go all the way to Florida without going to a park,never been to CG so may give it a go . Thanks for the idea

nikkikk
05-01-2005, 02:21
REPORT FROM CYPRESS GARDENS
We took our kids last week. Its quite a place to find if you go via 'timbuktoo' as I seemed to do! Quite an impressive entrance and car park and then we hit the lines (queues to the uninitiated!)!!! I queued for 20 minutes to purchase a ticket and then another 10 to get through the gate - very poor indeed. Entrance special (by looking in the voucher booklets) was an introductory $29.95 with an extra day free if used within 6 days.

It has the start of something good but sadly not much was up and running. I would highly recommend the rides for people with little ones - lots for them to do but only 1/2 a day really for older ones and grown ups. We spent about 4 hours and felt we had seen quite a bit. Definitely would not have been enough to go back for the second day but was quite glad there wasn't as the line to get the second day stamp was 30 minutes or more long!

Hope they make it - Central Florida is now desperate for more good attractions to take some of the crowds away from the main parks.

LiesaAnna
05-01-2005, 11:31
am sure this time next year it will be a great attraction! am looking forward to going here in Nov, so should be up and running much better by then!