PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy flying?

22-09-2004, 23:15
Most of us have to fly to get to Florida but I wonder how many enjoy it compared with those who are terrifed? Is it part of the holiday or a means to an end?

P.S First poll so be kind!

Ray&Sarah
22-09-2004, 23:17
Just wish it didn't take so long to get to Orlando.[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
22-09-2004, 23:27
It's better nowadays! The ol man used to make us go via outer Mongolia, before we could afford direct flights :)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-09-2004, 23:31
Absolutely love it. An integral part of the holiday for me [msnsmile2]

Floridalover
22-09-2004, 23:38
try and stop me :D

chrizzy100
22-09-2004, 23:43
I just find it boring......

ellie
22-09-2004, 23:43
I used to be absolutely petrified - mainly I think because my mother was, and her fear transferred itself to me. So, on our first trip to Florida, I was determined not to show my fear to the children, as I knew that they had the whole world to explore during their lifetimes, and if they were scared it could wreck their chances of seeing so many interesting places.

It worked, instead of sitting there with white knuckles, not daring to move in case it upset the balance of the 'plane and we crashed, (major panic if someone got up to go to the loo!) I stopped thinking about myself and started to really enjoy it. Now I love it, the best bit is just as we finish taxiing and turn onto the runway, and suddenly the engines roar into life and we start shooting along the runway, then imperceptibly the plane lifts off the ground and we are up! Better than any roller coaster - its a real buzz. I would so like to be able to sit in the cockpit and watch a take-off for real!

In fact, in the 'olden' days, before terrorism, we always went onto the flight deck with the children, and it is stunning - there you are, 35,000ft up in the air, with just azue sky, the candy floss clouds below, and no real feeling of movement, it's as if you are suspended in space, which I suppose you are. Magic. One North West pilot gave my son all his flight plan details, maps etc. - fascinating, if only we could understand all the computer readouts! But a great souvenir.

I have to say I don't enjoy turbulence, but I just watch the cabin crew, and if they look relaxed then I don't worry.

We were even hit by lightning a couple of years ago on a very old Tri-star (ATA via Gander - anyone done it? fantastic ice cream, and the airport is like walking back into the 1950's - the Queen's portrait takes pride of place on the terminal walls, fascinating souvenir shop and nothing else. Very cheap, but the plane bounced along the runway like a pogo stick) and the lightning flashed across the inside of the cabin - or so it seemed. The cabin crew - very laid back usually - started sprinting to the back - we thought they were about to parachute out! But no, they were just on their way to collect the sandwiches and dish them out. A few minutes later an equally laid back American captain informed us that we had just been hit by lightning, but not to worry!

So, for me, its a vote for 'love it'!
:):)

Ellie

Floridalover
22-09-2004, 23:49
Good account Ellie,especially the flight deck moments. I fly a lot and have done since a very young age. to this day ( and I now cover about 350,000 miles a year flying) I have yet to have a scary (as long as you dont count a near miss and 13 go arounds to avoid other aircraft at landing in the past 3 years) experience. Turbulence is a part of flying, its not always pleasant but at the same time it provides some inflight entertainment. Flying is the safest form of transport, long may it continue[:p]

Nostromo
23-09-2004, 00:51
I don't particularly like flying, especially the long hauls. The 8 hours seem more like 80. I tend to get a bit apprehensive during the takeoff but am OK once we are in the air.

huckleberry house
23-09-2004, 01:18
Lal

Wheres the option for "its a means to an end " ?

Lesley

Ann-Marie
23-09-2004, 01:19
Well, hopefully, I am in the minority!

I absolutely hate flying! There was a time I really enjoyed it but that all changed with Lockerbie and even more so since 9/11.

I feel physically sick weeks before I even board a flight - but saying that, I love the lead up of going to the airport and being there, watching everyone's excitement at their forthcoming trips, its just when they close the doors to the plane that I feel a bit anxious. (A bit like the car driver being the passenger, you've no control over your situation).

However, I also find I consciously look around me in the departure lounge to see whose boarding my flight! Silly, yes I know. How sad the world has changed in such a way it makes people wary of people they don't even know.

However, I will not let this stop me from enjoying my life and seeing different parts of the world with my husband and child, who I love to bits. I don't show my fear of this in front of my son as I would hate to pass that on to him as he absolutely loves to fly.

I'm flying again in 12 weeks time, we're off to see family in L.A. for Christmas and I'm starting to worry already but I will make the journey and all the other journeys I plan to do in the years ahead.

Hopefully, these feelings will subside in time and I'll feel a whole lot more secure during a flight and, like most of you, ENJOY IT!!

ellie
23-09-2004, 01:19
What do you fly Matt so I can drool?
Ellie

23-09-2004, 01:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house
Lal

Lesley
[/quote]

Oops!! Sorry!! Can I add it now?

ellie
23-09-2004, 01:24
Is it as exciting as it looks, knowing you have all that power, and the ability to lift that huge great aircraft into the sky? Does it get at all boring now you can use computers etc? Can't imagine not getting a buzz from being able to take off and land a 'plane, despite all the technology.

Ellie

Carla
23-09-2004, 01:32
I'm the Other voter!!

I love the up in the air bit, when we've levelled out and are just cruising, then I can relax. Even turbulence doesn't bother me. The length of journey doesn't worry me either. I sleep or read on long hauls. Often stay awake the night before, so enjoy a good 4 hours of sleep on the plane.

It's the take-off and landing that scare the **** out of me. My husband studied physics and has explained everything to me, but it doesn't help. I'm still white knuckled at the beginning and then the end.

The last time I flew on my own, in April, the guy next to me held my hand while we took off!! He couldn't actually prise it from the arm rest, but he put his own over mine and squeezed my hand throughout the entire take-off, until he felt me relax when we were high up in the air. I didn't know him from Adam, but he realised that I was terrified (I was gripping on for dear life with my legs braced against the side of the seat in front) and tried to comfort me. What a lovely guy, and his wife was lovely too, she understood. He did the same on landing, and I found it really comforting. :D:D:D

I don't let any of my fears stop me from going on a plane though. I accept that if I want to go somewhere then I have to use a plane and if I have to use a plane, then it has to take-off and land!!

tezz7628
23-09-2004, 01:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
Lal

Lesley
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes lucy go into the part you wrote your poll on and there will be an icon to edit poll at the top with the others, then scroll down to your options and add/replace them :)

23-09-2004, 02:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
Lal

Lesley
[/quote]

[/quote]

yes lucy go into the part you wrote your poll on and there will be an icon to edit poll at the top with the others, then scroll down to your options and add/replace them :)
[/quote]

Thanks! Done it! Sorry all!!

Floridalover
23-09-2004, 02:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
What do you fly Matt so I can drool?
Ellie

[/quote]

Now there's a question !! same plane as everyone else, just not towards the rear;)

amy
23-09-2004, 02:32
I love it, it is just my ears that don't they spend then first two days of the holiday paying me back.:(

LiesaAnna
23-09-2004, 03:44
i must admit altho i really look forward to THE DAY i get out of bed and have a terrible headache, we look forward to the kids (that are not coming on holiday) joining us at the airport for a macdonalds breakfast we all look forward to this and i end up in a state and unable to eat........i dont think i am bothered about flying maybe its just the thought of 1 0 h o u r s
long hours but i cant wait for this december!!!!!!!!!!:):)

ellie
23-09-2004, 14:08
Whoops!!!!!![msnembarrased]

Ellie

Calamity Jane
23-09-2004, 14:16
I am like CArla and Nostromo, I dont like takeoffs and landing, I'm ok in the air and feel great when on terra firma, it all boils down to a vivid imagination !![:I][:I]

bellaepovera
23-09-2004, 21:22
I am totally petrified of flying..but its the only way to get home!!

UK Jane
24-09-2004, 03:08
The flying is bearable ... and a worthwhile necessity to holidaying in lovely places ... but the jet-lag (particularly coming back to the UK from the US) is horrible. Takes us all a good few days to shake it off. Funny that it never seems as bad going west.

LesleyB
24-09-2004, 10:42
I opted for means to an end. Most of the flying to the US has been done with very young kids in tow and 8 hours flight plus the early check-in is a long time to keep them occupied. They are now at an age where they can entertain themselves though, so I am starting to look forward to the flying bit a little more.

Carla
24-09-2004, 12:37
Generally speaking it takes 1 day per hour lost. So recovering from a Florida trip could easily take 5 days to get back to normal. You can speed this process up by taking Melatonin when you get home.

You have a tablet about 20 minutes before you are ready to go to sleep, and it increases your own natural melatonin and means that you drop off more easily and overcome the jetlag more quickly.

Works for me, when I remember to take it!! You can buy it off the shelf in any pharmacy in Florida.:D:D:D

Going west, you gain time, so your body adjusts much more quickly.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by UK Jane
The flying is bearable ... and a worthwhile necessity to holidaying in lovely places ... but the jet-lag (particularly coming back to the UK from the US) is horrible. Takes us all a good few days to shake it off. Funny that it never seems as bad going west.
[/quote]

linda.s
24-09-2004, 15:39
Well I had to put other......... I actually love flying, take off's and landings are wonderful, but I do tend to get rather bored on long haul flights....... However, my problem now is my motion sickness problems, and my ears! The older I get, the less my body seems to be able to stand any form of turbulance. As I have mentioned on coaster ride threads, I am never actually ill, but I feel nauseous for quite a long time. Air travel never made me feel ill at all, but over the last couple of years, I really am starting to suffer. I got back from 3 days in France yesterday, the homeward flight wasn't too bad (but the taxi to my car at Luton nearly killed me!), the outward flight was dreadful, and the closest I have ever come to actually being sick, and it was only a 55 min journey! I broke out in a cold sweat, and had to close my eyes and imagine that I was on a beautiful beach, just to try and stop being ill! My ears weren't too bad this time though, and I can suffer really badly sometimes. I went to Ibiza a few years ago, and the plane seemed to have some pressure problems. I have never been in so much pain. My poor hubby didn't know what to do with me....... Everyone on the plane was complaining, but as I suffer any way, it did seem to affect me quite badly. The poor guy in the seat in front must have wondered about my mental state, as I was sobbing and banging my head on the back of his chair, as there was just no relief. Took 4 days to get over that....... I was using the special flight ear plugs too. I have always had ear problems, as a small child I had a hair clip go down my ear, and break my ear drum, so I have some scarring. I am sure this doesn't help, and I am sure Nostromo will correct me if I am wrong there!

For the flights this week, I tried the accupressure bands on my wrists, but that was on the outward journey, and as I felt so bad I didn't wear them to come back, and was better - Ho hum!

Lynnes
24-09-2004, 17:16
Takeoffs and landings i really enjoy - i think it's the sence of speed, the bit in the middle is boring unless you can afford 1st class when you can go to sleep.

UK Jane
24-09-2004, 20:33
Thanks Carla

Something else added to the list of things to buy, in 11 weeks time.