PDA

View Full Version : Open or Closed?

Nostromo
21-09-2004, 23:49
As we all know, Americans tend to favour the 'open plan' design in their homes downstairs. This concept is not as popular in Britain, where we seem to prefer separate 'reception rooms', kitchen, dining room etc. Since a lot of forum members have lived in both countries, I wonder which type individuals really prefer, if at all.

So, please state your preference:

brizzle
21-09-2004, 23:58
The first thing that attracted me to my current home is the fact it is open plan, one big living area and a kitchen downstairs.
That's it.
That and the fact the previous owner had built two conservatories (it's not as weird as it sounds).

Brizzle.

dbrook
22-09-2004, 00:25
I love the open plan in America, but prefer a closed plan in Britain. For a start it would be very expensive to heat the open plan area in winter and I like to be 'cosy' in the winter evenings. Another reason is I have three very messy teenagers and at the moment I can at least keep the living area tidy, but imagine if it were open plan - it would look like a tip all the time:(

I love our open plan villa in Orlando though because it makes it seem so airy and spacious - great for a vacation but not to live in unless you don't have children:D:D

chrizzy100
22-09-2004, 00:31
We had open plan in England too.....so I like it......
My Cape home is not really open plan.......it has a kitchen/dinner.....but its cold up here....so we have smaller low rooms......

E. Cosgrove
22-09-2004, 03:34
I'm far too untidy to live permanently in an open plan home. I like to be able to close the door on the mess!!:D

Nostromo
22-09-2004, 11:11
I am not sure about the problem of heating an open plan house. I have visited an open plan house in Vermont in November when it was pretty cold, but the heating seemed to work well. But personally, I prefer a mixed plan. An open plan for all the downstairs rooms, but with the Kitchen / Breakfast Nook as a separate unit. I also like the small 'family area' with its own TV etc that is often attached to the breakfast nook in US homes.

bellaepovera
22-09-2004, 13:28
I have an open plan in my home in Italy and as I do love it the heating part is very expensive as we have no attic and all the heat does rise basically. The heating in Italy is very very expensive compared to the states but I do prefer this over everyone being closed up with doors. Most people do not even use their dining room and is just for show. I made my kitchen smaller, just for the 4 of us so when I do have company the dining must be used. I like using every part of my home.

stabard
22-09-2004, 13:37
I love the open plan style but it just gets too untidy with my family. It is great for the hols in florida but I prefer my closed in home in the UK.

Nostromo
22-09-2004, 14:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bellaepovera
The heating in Italy is very very expensive compared to the states but I do prefer this over everyone being closed up with doors.
[/quote]

Where in Italy do you live? We went to Rome in February (my absolute favourite city on the surface of the earth, though I am not too fond of Italian food) and it was like April-May in the UK. I assumed that in most Italian places you don't need as much heating as in the UK.

Cruella DeVilla
22-09-2004, 15:50
I was a bit unsure myself when we first bought but now I like the idea in general. The only thing I still battle with sometimes is the kitchen being open plan but as it is not in the middle of any room as was the case in a showhome I saw, (how would you hide your foopahs)!, I have learnt to love it:D

Lynnes
22-09-2004, 17:21
I love the light and airy feel of the open plan and wouldn't change ours.

chrizzy100
22-09-2004, 17:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I am not sure about the problem of heating an open plan house. I have visited an open plan house in Vermont in November when it was pretty cold, but the heating seemed to work well. But personally, I prefer a mixed plan. An open plan for all the downstairs rooms, but with the Kitchen / Breakfast Nook as a separate unit. I also like the small 'family area' with its own TV etc that is often attached to the breakfast nook in US homes.
[/quote]

We had the heating on in FL this Jan......we have 20ft plus high celings and found the house warm after 15 mins in the morning.....my bill was $70 for heating cooking washing and A/C etc that month....so I was a happy bunny......

CarolAnn
22-09-2004, 18:14
Don't think I would mind nowadays:) I think my tastes have changed since I got older (that would be 33,if anyone is asking:D)I would love to have an eat in the kitchen as well as a dining room. Then the house before this had one, and we put up a wall to make a separate dining room!!! Blah! Then we all in the living room anyway [msntongue]! Always fancied a NEW York Loft apartment though[msnwink]

chrizzy100
22-09-2004, 20:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
Don't think I would mind nowadays:) I think my tastes have changed since I got older (that would be 33,if anyone is asking:D)I would love to have an eat in the kitchen as well as a dining room. Then the house before this had one, and we put up a wall to make a separate dining room!!! Blah! Then we all in the living room anyway [msntongue]! Always fancied a NEW York Loft apartment though[msnwink]
[/quote]

I'd also love a New York Loft......what a view......and what a price....LOL!

UK Jane
22-09-2004, 22:12
Open plan in Florida ... it just seems the right thing to do, but closed off rooms in the UK ... somehow it just does not seem right, after a day at work, to live in an open plan.

bellaepovera
23-09-2004, 01:11
Nostromo I live in the South of Italy in Calabria..Rome is my fav. place to visit for history as I never get tiried of it. But if you want to stay by the sea the South is the best. And so is the food. Taormina in Sicily is a must to see!! Just breathtaking!

24-09-2004, 16:48
I love the open plan in the US and to some extent in the UK too, I love the open plan kitchen/dining/family lounge we have in the UK but we also have a formal lounge/home theatre and a study and utility so its not completly open plan downstairs, I like it so much that I am hoping to extent the kitchen/dining/family lounge and make it bigger!!!

P.S I love American decking too its one of the best things we have added to our house.

linda.s
24-09-2004, 21:38
I voted other, as although I do love the open plans of the Floridian homes, I also like some "Private" space. I like my kitchen to be more enclosed, and with windows. So my ideal would be open hall & lounge, with vaulted ceiling (love them!) maybe arched space to the dining area, giving an open feeling, but with a sense of separation, and maybe a counter to the kitchen, that has windows. Then a separate den, so you can close yourself off if you need to get away! (Must be a hankering back to my childhood as an only child!)

Magical Dreams
08-10-2004, 01:24
Horses for courses!!

Should design a home will rollaway walls for different occasions.

I agree with Stabbard, Open for Hols, Closed for Home!

[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

jolliffee
10-10-2004, 02:27
I think a kitchen should be little more enclosed

Nostromo
10-10-2004, 12:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
I think a kitchen should be little more enclosed
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. My ideal home would be an open plan for the hall-lounge-dining room but with a separate kitchen and breakfast nook. Many American homes have largish breakfast nooks which has a TV/hi-fi system in one corner, visible form the kitchen as well. This works well as a 'family room' with the parent in the kitchen being able to interact with the kids when they're watching TV. It also serves to keep the lounge tidy for guests etc.

10-10-2004, 13:01
I really don't like closed in kitchens they are so claustrophobic!!! Apart from cooking smells (which you can ventilate) whats the point of being cut off from the family?:)

CarolAnn
10-10-2004, 19:53
I know what you mean Lucy! If I was to spend more time in my kitchen at home, I would be cut off from my family too much ....so I don't!! [clap][clap][clap]

domster
10-10-2004, 21:55
open plan is great until you cook a curry! then it stinks the whole house out for weeks!!!

DOM

chrizzy100
10-10-2004, 22:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by domster
open plan is great until you cook a curry! then it stinks the whole house out for weeks!!!

DOM
[/quote]

Maybe you should have the fan above your cooker looked at......??
I cook a lot of curries........and we have no problem.......and I have a friend who comes round who hates the small of curry.......she'd be the first to tell me if the cooking small hung around...........

10-10-2004, 22:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by domster

DOM
[/quote]

You need ventilation and even in a closed kitchen curries stink the house out!!![msnwink]

bryj
22-10-2004, 04:02
We have a problem with fish.

I love the open plan living, because I can check that the cook is attending to her duties whilst I watch the footie, by the merest turn of my head.

Otherwise she would always be on this forum.