PDA

View Full Version : Games room or Garage

NickClark
21-09-2004, 01:12
You are booking a home for your dream holiday in Florida and have a choice between a standard garage used for parking your hire car in and a converted garage which still has a normal garage door on it but has been properly converted into a state of the art games room with pool table, table football, arcade games or a home cinema with electric reclining chairs and 8' screen. This of course means that there is no indoor parking facility and you will have to park on the drive way. Which would you opt for?

Carla
21-09-2004, 01:26
Do you want our guests and potential guests, only, to vote in this poll Nick or are you happy for owners to vote too?

stabard
21-09-2004, 01:30
If I had the choice and there was not much difference in price I would go with the games room. And yes I know my place hasn't got one but come back to me about that in the New Year:D

NickClark
21-09-2004, 01:40
I would welcome everyones opinion.

LiesaAnna
21-09-2004, 01:47
we have booked a villa without a games room, but we never used the garage anyway other than doing the washing, we could have chosen one with a games room as i dont think there is a lot of difference in price just didnt feel we needed one but when we go again which will probably be in 2 years we will look for one with a games room, alot of them are very nice!!!!:)

Nostromo
21-09-2004, 01:49
When I first heard that the big garage in the villa that we had rented in Orange Tree had been converted into a games room by the new owner, I groaned. Being used to parking in garages in the UK, I could not envisage leaving the big Dollar van parked on the drive. But when we actually arrived, I was pleased to discover that the Villa's drive was wider than the average British one and the entire neighbourhood felt qiet, safe and spacious. Contrary to my expectations, it seemed quite natural to park the car on the drive like most other people had done.

But the games room was a real pleasant surpirse. It had a pool table, the football thing and a few other games and helped greatly in keeping my niece and ourselves amused during the rest days. After all, one can swim, sunbathe and watch TV only so much and one needs to do something else while at home. I think the Games Room is a good answer.

Carla
21-09-2004, 01:57
Just checking before I voted:D:D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NickClark
I would welcome everyones opinion.
[/quote]

ellie
21-09-2004, 03:43
It's interesting to see 2 people saying they would have it if it was not too different in price. To get all this state of the art equipment and to pay the same as a villa without it would seem to be a real bargain!

I wonder what else guests would like to see, for the same price?

It would be interesting to hear suggestions, as perhaps when most villas have games rooms and/or home theatres we may have to introduce even more features, whilst not raising prices beyond the means of many?

Think you would have to be mad NOT to vote for the state of the art option!

Ellie

jolliffee
21-09-2004, 04:12
Do people put cars in garages then? I thoughts that where the rubbish went?[msnwink]

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 05:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Do people put cars in garages then? I thoughts that where the rubbish went?[msnwink]
[/quote]

We always use the garage....it means only hubby gets wet if its raining.......hes the one who has to open the door.......:D

LiesaAnna
21-09-2004, 11:15
what i mean is i wouldnt mind having a games room but i wouldnt look at one that has the state of the art stuff as in my opinion for my family that isnt nessecary, but a game of pool, darts, football table, that kind of stuff is good enough and i know that my lot would enjoy that, i must admit i would be afraid to use state of the art stuff, Electric seating, home cinema, 8' screen, incase it got broken and surely you would expect to leave a larger security deposit?

BarryR
21-09-2004, 12:38
As I was out there during hurricane Frances, having a garage was a safe place to put the hire car and the owners pool furniture. A games room would not have been quite so useful !

huckleberry house
21-09-2004, 12:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by BarryR
As I was out there during hurricane Frances, having a garage was a safe place to put the hire car and the owners pool furniture. A games room would not have been quite so useful !
[/quote]

Hurricanes are such a rarity though not sure as an owner I would do without a games room all year just in case there was a freak storm.

The way my games room is currently set up you can still use it as a garage as the table tennis table folds aganist the wall. I have it on good authority too that 10 chairs, 4 loungers, two tables, two ottomans and a barbecue still fit in there as well when needs be:D

Lesley

ellie
21-09-2004, 13:55
The question did actually ask about preferring a 'state of the art' games room or a 'state of the art' home cinema.

With the question worded in this way it is obvious that the majority of people both villa owners AND guests would go for the games room etc - but surely a state of the art set up would lift the price of the villa?
If not, then it does not seem a very good business proposition. Would Disney, for instance add jacuzzi baths to its basic accommodation and then sell it at the same price? I doubt it.

Are people answering the question with a view to paying more for the accommodation for these luxury features? How much more would people be prepared to pay - £50 a week, £100 a week, maybe more? or do they expect these features at the standard rate?

The question really is similar to asking people if they would prefer a McDonalds or a top of the range steak in a fancy restaurant - at the same price. I know which one I would go for!

I can think of no other industry that would continue to upgrade and add luxury features without charging more. You don't expect to travel First Class on Virgin without paying more - I can't see Richard Branson offering steerage class the same benefits as he reserves for those who pay - and guess who is the millionaire?

As some of the comments show, we all have different tastes - for some the pleasure of feeling the warm Florida sunshine instead of shivering in the wet and cloudy UK, swimming in a beautiful pool with no strangers dive bombing, spending an evening walking round, for example, Celebration, finding time to talk to our children, play some good old family games, would far outweigh the joys of playing table tennis in a garage without a window. But luckily we are all different.

Ellie

huckleberry house
21-09-2004, 14:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie

As some of the comments show, we all have different tastes - for some the pleasure of feeling the warm Florida sunshine instead of shivering in the wet and cloudy UK, swimming in a beautiful pool with no strangers dive bombing, spending an evening walking round, for example, Celebration, finding time to talk to our children, play some good old family games, would far outweigh the joys of playing table tennis in a garage without a window. But luckily we are all different.

Ellie
[/quote]

All those things can still take place though Ellie at a home that has a games room, the games room merely adds an extra facility to those you have mentioned, it doesnt replace them.

Lesley

ellie
21-09-2004, 15:01
Absolutely right, Lesley. Couldn't agree with you more.

Mind you, when I have flown nearly 5,000 miles across the Atlantic, and paid a not inconsiderable sum for the pleasure of being at the Theme Park centre of the world, when am I going to have the time to spend in my games room!:)As I do not have a swimming pool in the UK, but can play table tennis there, I must admit that for me, the crystal clear waters of my pool would beckon me!

The question is, how much are guests willing to PAY for a state of the art set up - there is, after all, a big difference between that and a games room such as you have described, having a 'table tennis table folded up against a wall with 10 chairs, 4 loungers, two tables, two ottomans and a barbecue'! The question specifically mentioned 'state of the art'.

Can villa owners afford to add such expensive state of the art features and not charge more?

Ellie

Sorry - have not yet discovered how to import quotes from answers!!!!![msnembarrased]

huckleberry house
21-09-2004, 15:33
Ellie

If you look at the top of a post you will see some small icons, run your mouse over them and you will see one that says "reply with quote " click on that and the post in question will be inserted into your reply, you can delete the bits not relevant to the item you are replying on.

Incidentally my pool equipment usually lives on the pool deck when there isnt a hurricane and not my garage and the table can be placed against the wall if a guest wants to get a car in, it isnt expected that they play it like that !! It gives the best of both worlds and an option other than swimming for those days or nights that it may be raining.You can see pictures of it on my advert if you click the link below my posts.The poll really shows whether guests want the facility of a games room versus a garage, whether they pay more for it cant be concluded from the poll but judging by the homes that have one the answer is probably yes they will pay more.

Lesley

ellie
21-09-2004, 15:45
Thanks, Lesley! will try that!

No, I didn't seriously think your guests had to leap over several chairs etc in order to play table tennis - though it might add an extra exciting dimension!!:D

I have to say that, looking at some people's prices, they are actually charging LESS! So guests are gettting a very good deal!

Ellie

Lynnes
21-09-2004, 15:47
We are considering putting a games room in the garage next year. What we thought was that the games would be portable, folding etc, so guests could make the choice garage or games room. Personally we prefer the garage as the car can get so hot when it's parked on the drive.

Still it's all personal taste.

Lynne

huckleberry house
21-09-2004, 15:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
Thanks, Lesley! will try that!

I have to say that, looking at some people's prices, they are actually charging LESS! So guests are gettting a very good deal!

Ellie
[/quote]

Very hard to judge though as the costs vary so much between homes, the homes that you think ar charging less may still be charging more than they used to before the games room was put in.There are so many variables between villas anyway that I find it very hard to compare one against another when location and decor also differ. All I can say is my guests love the facilites and obviously pay my rental charge, even without extra rental if it makes a home more desirable then it probably cant be a bad thing.

Lesley

ellie
21-09-2004, 16:08
That sounds eminently sensible, Nick, and I quite understand you wanting such great amenities, and I wish you and your family many wonderful holidays in your dream home. As for hurricanes, lets hope they don't come back with such ferocity for a very long time - and statistically that should be possible.

Unfortunately, not everyone is in your lucky position, and I think that many people fail to realise how very expensive it is to own and maintain a villa to a high standard - the 'dream' of owning a villa can often turn into the nightmare.

So, Nick, when can we all come and enjoy your home theatre - will 'do' the ice creams in the interval, promise!:D Have my little torch and a new box of choc ices 'at the ready'!

Ellie

Cruella DeVilla
21-09-2004, 16:09
Some of the villas have games rooms that are not actually in the garage so you can have the best of both worlds, parking inside the garage and a games room if you look around enough adverts. On our community you are not allowed to convert the double garages and they must be used for the purpose of parking your car as on road parking is not allowed. (You can park in the drive also). We have no games room planned...as yet!

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 17:57
I think its down to what you have at home........we have a games room......its rare anyone uses it.........so I'd go for a garage.......if you don't have a games room at home.......then I'm sure the kids would use one in a villa.......because its new to them.......

CERICROWLEY
21-09-2004, 18:29
Our first home has no games room, we asked a lot of questions about this when we first bought the home, and the majority was that American guests like the garage, as we have a four bed home it would be common for two family to drive down therefore two cars, and Americans like to use the garage, and as the UK guests would be more interested in spending all day a the parks who has time for games. But the property we are about to close on now, we would consider puting a games room in this one, to cater for both markets, those we want/don't want games room/garage. I don't think one out rents the other, just the same as one/two storey homes, conservation area/waterfront. whichever takes your fancy.

KJH
22-09-2004, 02:37
Our villa is on Glenbrook and we can have the garage as a Games Room as long as it is not permanent and can be changed back for use as a garage.

We set it up as a games room and have had a lot of positive comments about it, especially on rest days or if it gets too hot and everyone is fed up with sunbathing. It gives an extra option.[msntongue]

Karen

worldpeace
23-09-2004, 23:31
I think all villas should have a games/play/ room of some sort as for the times when your just too tired to going out and plus it would be nice/fun. Also why don't villas have hair dryers?[?]

Carla
24-09-2004, 02:30
Every home owner that I know has at least 2 hair dryers in their home. We have 4, one per bedroom!!!:D:D

Where did you stay that didn't have a hairdryer??????[msneek][msneek]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by worldpeace
I think all villas should have a games/play/ room of some sort as for the times when your just too tired to going out and plus it would be nice/fun. Also why don't villas have hair dryers?[?]
[/quote]

UK Jane
24-09-2004, 02:51
But the question,, Carla, is ... 'Do you have a hairdryer in tha games room ?' ... LoL

chrizzy100
24-09-2004, 03:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by UK Jane
But the question,, Carla, is ... 'Do you have a hairdryer in tha games room ?' ... LoL
[/quote]

LOL.....no you have to sit next to the air hockey table.......[:o)]

Newhomebuyer
24-09-2004, 14:49
Hi Nick,
We have a state of the art Home theatre in our villa. We put in the best available and we are really pleased with the results. We know that some of our guests have chosen our villa because we have such a fantastic home theatre. We are equally aware that guests will have chosen alternative villas which have games rooms.
Most visitors will prefer a games room....thats okay because the ratio of games rooms to theatre on our estate is 10-1. We don't mind being the villa who provides something different, we chose the theatre because that was what we preferred.
I will try and post a photgraph in the forum for pictures but |I am not very good on the technical stuff.

24-09-2004, 16:33
I think home theatres are the next big thing, we have one at home and its fantastic!

I notice some new villas just built at Arcadia Estates (opposite Formosa) have home theatres. We love the games rooms but would love to have both in a villa!!!

Anyone got both???[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
24-09-2004, 18:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
I think home theatres are the next big thing, we have one at home and its fantastic!

I notice some new villas just built at Arcadia Estates (opposite Formosa) have home theatres. We love the games rooms but would love to have both in a villa!!!

Anyone got both???[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Its something we thought about doing in the upstairs room in our main home ......its 36 ft long....and if we knock into the attic space we can add another 12ft......making one bedroom one side and one long TV room.....we have a games room in the basement with a gym and hobby room......that we hope to finish this winter....but we've been saying that for 4 years now....

We made our dinning area in FL a tv room....when or if we move down we will kit that room out just for movie nights.....

Newhomebuyer
24-09-2004, 20:50
Lal,
We are on Acadia and I know that one of the 5 bedrooms has a theatre and a pool table. We decided to keep the 6th bed as we didn't want guests playing pool upstairs!!!!

Carla
24-09-2004, 21:03
What's the difference whether they play pool upstairs or downstairs?
Do you need to re-enforce the bedroom floor or something like that?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Newhomebuyer
Lal,
We are on Acadia and I know that one of the 5 bedrooms has a theatre and a pool table. We decided to keep the 6th bed as we didn't want guests playing pool upstairs!!!!
[/quote]

Newhomebuyer
24-09-2004, 21:11
We thought that an enclosed area like a garage is a good/safe environment for playing pool etc. and we just felt that an open area above a staircase wasn't. Maybe we as a family are just really bad at pool:D

ellie
24-09-2004, 23:22
If 'most people prefer a games room' then how is it that those villas without still get bookings?????

A bit of a generalisation, I think!:)

Ellie

Newhomebuyer
24-09-2004, 23:35
Sorry Ellie, I meant people who were looking for either/or between games room or theatre. I know that many visitors are not interested in either because they are out and about all day or simply enjoy the pool a lot.

worldpeace
25-09-2004, 00:03
no hair dryer in the 4Bed Luxury Villa in Calapay Parc. Which we thought was very odd!

WR1
25-09-2004, 00:05
We never use the garage when in florida,we book a villa in Windsor Palms they have it all there. And if we can not get booked in there we always try for a villa with a games room. Anything to keep the kid's amused big one's and little's. [msnwink]

chrizzy100
25-09-2004, 00:29
We thought that an enclosed area like a garage is a good/safe environment for playing pool etc. and we just felt that an open area above a staircase wasn't. Maybe we as a family are just really bad at pool:D
[/quote]

If its an open loft I get your meaning....I think my family play pool badly too.....:D

Cruella DeVilla
25-09-2004, 00:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by worldpeace
no hair dryer in the 4Bed Luxury Villa in Calapay Parc. Which we thought was very odd!
[/quote]

Suppose people have different ideas about luxury! Would have thought in general, most villas have hair dryers.

25-09-2004, 12:53
Lal,
[/quote]

Did you get my DM? It has disappeared from my outbox??

Newhomebuyer
25-09-2004, 13:28
lal No I didn't get a DM from you. I wi8ll try to send you one so that you can use the reply button

skippy
25-09-2004, 15:19
RE Hairdryers.
The villa in question could have had a hairdryer maybe a guest took it by mistake.
We had guests in last year and the husband packed our dryer thinking it was his wifes, she contacted us about the mistake and posted it to our management co. so our home was without one for a while.
We now have two in the master bathrooms.