PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom a bit dull?

dykwim
17-09-2004, 18:38
Having been there 3 times now, I think it's fair to say that this is my least favourite park. The only 2 things worth going for, for me, are the Safari and the DINOSAUR ride. Everything else is VERY tame and I feel this park is much more for the younger kids.

I do think it's worth the entrance fee for those two attractions alone, plus its a nice steady day out and just walking around the park is nice. What we tend to do is go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and head off to MGM at around mid-day to get in a few goes on Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, amongst other things.

Anyone else left wanting a little more when visiting Animal Kingdom?

It's the newest park obviously, but I think they need to add a few more 'thrill' attractions to make the park more appealling to older big kids :)

I see they're making a new Roller Coaster, thats good, and I think a motiuon simulator ride and a log flume type ride would add much more depth to the park.

CERICROWLEY
17-09-2004, 19:17
The new roller coater ride is going to be Expedition to Everest. and is said to be the tallest point in all the disney parks,

Well that what I heard of a first aid nurse in Typhon Lagoon in August.

Nostromo
17-09-2004, 19:56
AK is a nice park, but I think it needs to get the balance right. As you say, The Safari and Pangani Trail are excellent as is the Maharajah Jungle Trek. The Tree of Life and Oasis are good too, but Rafiki's educational element needs to improve a bit. The worst part is 'Chester & Hester' playground which looks tacky and garish. I know it is meant to entertain younger kids, but even they have enough intelligence to be able to appreciate different things in life - like animals fo instance. But overall, AK is all right and the 'good bits' more than make up for the occasional hiccup.

amy
17-09-2004, 20:22
We think AK is great one of the best parks, there is lots to see and enjoy for the whole family.

brizzle
17-09-2004, 21:00
I like Animal Kingdom as it gives you a different experience.

Things I like :
Dinosaur
Safari
The safari walk
Lion King show
Easy place to meet characters
Bugs Life show
Flights of Wonder (fantastic bird show)
Parade
Things I dislike
Tarzan Rocks (kept my attention for 2 minute, less for the kids)
The whole of Chester/Hesters (cheesy 2 bit carny and really naff, so un-Disney it's untrue)
It can be done in half a day but I prefer the other route by taking it slow and relaxing in a nice environment

Add the new Everest ride and I think they are on the right track.
I suppose out of the four it is my least favourite but it is the worst of a good bunch

Brizzle

fiona
17-09-2004, 21:52
My gals are now 19 and 16 and the only time we get them near the place is when they bring friends over who have not been before. They are IoA and Sea World fans and don't want to visit Disney full stop. [msncry]My babies are growing up.

Ray&Sarah
17-09-2004, 22:02
As our boys are 12 & 15 they are not into Disney at all, we did go to AK just after it opened and thought it a bit disapointing all we seemed to do is go round and round the tree. Sorry to all of you who like AK, just our opinion.[msnsmile2]

Newhomebuyer
17-09-2004, 23:37
We really enjoy Animal Kingdom and it is getting better all the time. The new ride is looking quite spectacular!!! Our favourite show is the Festival of the Lion King

E. Cosgrove
17-09-2004, 23:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY
The new roller coater ride is going to be Expedition to Everest. and is said to be the tallest point in all the disney parks,

Well that what I heard of a first aid nurse in Typhon Lagoon in August.
[/quote]
Hope you recovered from whatever sent you to first aid!!!!![msnwink]

Angel_Eyes
18-09-2004, 14:58
i'm 14 and animal kingdom is one of my favourite parks :D:):D

Nostromo
18-09-2004, 16:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Newhomebuyer
We really enjoy Animal Kingdom and it is getting better all the time. The new ride is looking quite spectacular!!! Our favourite show is the Festival of the Lion King
[/quote]

Quite true, but we should remember that things like the Lion King Show or that upcoming Everest Ride are only window-dressings in a park where the live animals should be the real star attractions. [msnsmile]

Cruella DeVilla
18-09-2004, 17:02
We did not rate it either, we went when if first opened, thought it was just an expensive zoo.

NickClark
18-09-2004, 17:06
Hi Dwkwim

When I read your post I thought I had been sleep walking in the night and written it myself. I agree word for word with everything you say.

Ruth
18-09-2004, 18:24
We went when it first opened and did not like it at all. We did however try it again a year or so later, found it to be much improved and now really like it :)

KJH
18-09-2004, 19:00
Apart from a couple of rides, (which took up two hours to get on) myself and the children were bored stiff. Even with long waits we managed the whole lot in half a day.

Kids said they would not go back.[msnscared]

Karen

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-09-2004, 19:29
We love AK and find it a really nice day out - relaxing and not as hectic as the other parks.

They have a great parade too which is well worth the visit itself [msnsmile]

Nostromo
18-09-2004, 19:37
The important thing about visitng AK is that one should go with a different frame of mind and expectations from most other theme parks. There is no point in going to AK like one would go to, say, Islands of Adventure and complaining that it was too dull by comparison. As I said before, AK places (or tries to) onus on its Animals and other frills like rides are mere bonuses.

blott
18-09-2004, 20:00
I love AK, but then I love animals and I don't like thrill rides very much. It's a great day out for a relaxing wander around learning about the animals, which I think is a must for all kids.

Ny grandkids (13 & 15) just love the zoo in the UK and I know would be thrilled at the chance of spending a day at AK, if only we could afford to take them to Florida. :(

SunLover
18-09-2004, 20:36
I think the important thing to remember about AK is that it is primarily an animal park. If you don't like seeing animals then you may well be disappointed.

I understand the need for other attractions within the park such as animal themed rides, but if it was filled with these, it would be like every other park.

Personally we love AK, as it's a great relaxing day out, and the great thing about animals is you never see the same thing twice.

tinkerbell
23-09-2004, 14:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

Quite true, but we should remember that things like the Lion King Show or that upcoming Everest Ride are only window-dressings in a park where the live animals should be the real star attractions. [msnsmile]
[/quote]

I felt that the animals were not kept in the best conditions I would have imagined Disney to provide. The tigers were constantly pacing (never a good sign) a repeated pattern back and forth. And as for the 'safari' setting, I have spotted the disguised electric fences seperating the animals from each other. I understand that they would all end up killing each other if they were literally left to roam free, but I think perhaps by Disney trying to maintain it's magical theming reputation, the animals are losing out.

MTP
26-09-2004, 02:46
We love AK, it is definitely a different experience to the other parks and therefore complements rather than competes with the others. The shows are good and the skaters in Tarzan Rocks are very good (if the music a little loud - I know it is meant to be a rock show, but it isn't really). The river rapids are good and the theming throughout the park is fantastic. With the animals you can occasionally see the fences and the hollow tree trunks on the safari are actually cement feeding stations for the animals. I think it would be difficult for any zoo to provide enough room for their animals, Seaworld are also perhaps guilty of this.

The employees are also well informed about the animals that they care for.

CarolAnn
30-09-2004, 21:00
AK is ok! Just not a thrill ride park I guess! Think it has limited appeal[grin]

Southsider
01-10-2004, 01:20
I would not spend the day at AK, but worth going to see the Lion King show and then hop to another park

Tricia

caroline
01-10-2004, 01:48
We love AK - we spent ages watching the gorillas - we find it a really good park to do at the beginning of our holiday as we're still on UK time ie waking up early and the park is not too large so can easily be done in a day. I'm not a big lover of "animals in cages" I can't bear Sea World, but find that AK really gives the impression at least, that the animals have more room to roam and an education made fun factor - I also love the rides there - especially Dinosaur, Kali river rapids and Primevil Whirl - Ooh nearly forgot bugs life and the parade which are also excellent.

Nostromo
01-10-2004, 12:31
I agree that AK is very good - if you like animals, which we do. It is most certainly NOT DULL. Going to AK simply to see the shows and rides is pointless because those are no more than window dressings in a park which is essentially a mini-Animal Sanctuary. Given the limitations of space (even with 500 acres), Disney have done a decent job of making the animals feel as comfortable as possible - even though I admit that it can never be the same as being out in the wild.

I'll never agree that AK can be done in less than a day becuse we like to spend time seeing the Animals. Some animal-lovers like to spend even longer at the petting zoos and such - I think Amirah once posted that her family reserves TWO days for AK. AK will certainly be on our agenda every time we go to Orlando in the future and we will keep a separate day for the park. :)

orlandobabe
10-10-2004, 08:14
I do like AK-but also think they could do to add a bit more-not particularly another ride-I think they should add more of those at MK-but maybe another animal attraction of some sorts.

But then I think all of these parks should be constantly upgrading and adding to their attractions-just like we do with the villas-lol!

None of them should be just resting on their laurels.

chunkichik
28-11-2004, 21:09
AK wasn't our favourite park either, my kids won't go on hardly any of the rides so its not that we're looking for 'thrills' personally I just felt that it didn't have any atmosphere and there wasn't enough to keep us there all day

KJH
28-11-2004, 22:27
We managed half a day, and that was only because of the queues, otherwise we would have left earlier.:(

Kaz

Jules
28-12-2004, 16:44
We like Animal kingdom but never spend a full day there.

We arrive early and do the Safari, last time we had virtually no wait, this is my favourite part and if you go early you do see lots of animals. We then make our way back through the park fitting in the Lion King show, It's a bugs life and the dinosaur ride. Depending on the crowds we also like to visit the tigers and the gorillas. We do find that the park gets very humid by mid day, probably due to all the extra foliage around the walkways. I also think it is quite a difficult park to find your way around, I seem to end up taking a lot of wrong turns, but that's probably just me.

I don't particularly enjoy thrill rides so maybe that's why I like Animal Kingdom but I wouldn't want to spend the whole day there so I think hopper tickets or their new equivalent are a must.

Solana
19-03-2005, 13:53
If you do go you have to see the lion king show it is amazing:Di loved it!!!!:)
solana

Lyn
20-03-2005, 00:27
I agree with Julie by lunchtime the humidity really gets to me, but we love to go to see the animals which is what you should go for not the thrill rides, why do all the parks have to have them, not everyone likes thrill rides I certainly don't. My children however love thrill rides but do not expect them to be everywhere, they also go because they like the animals.

philgrove
08-04-2005, 15:42
we love AK, yes its not so thrilling as the others but is a lot more calmer.
if you are there early you can get to see all the animals as its cooler for them,and you.
we love kali river rapids and again if you get there early you can get a couple of goes in before you hit big queues.

Thorogoods
13-04-2005, 16:26
We like AK, but always make use of the "Hopper" and go either to MGM or Epcot later in the day. The main attractions are the animals. However the Safari annoys me with the chat from the airplane.[8D]

heathercobbett
13-04-2005, 21:47
Sarah hit the nail on the head when she mentioned her sons ages;teenagers don't think it's cool.Whereas Johns children are just the right age for it.And then again as you become an adult

I got so soaked on the water ride last year that a Disney employee ran up and asked for their water back!

I also asked a Disney employee if some long thin animals had anorexia.I then got a long lecture about anorexia being confined to humans.Obviously,I was only joking,but slunk off!

We then went straight to MGM (where there are no water rides) and my dripping wet state got me some curious glances!

becbecs
13-04-2005, 23:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider
I would not spend the day at AK, but worth going to see the Lion King show and then hop to another park

Tricia
[/quote]

I agree Tricia

A day at AK is a lot especially when its hot, the park becomes very humid and uncomfortable but the Lion King show is a must.

chrizzy100
13-04-2005, 23:31
We were thinking of going this time.....just me and hubby......we went when it first opened with the kids....but left early....I'm not sure if its going to be worth it or not...??

I spent years of my life helping out at a zoo.....so animals of alsort are of interest to me....but I'm begining to wonder if another trip to Silver Springs....may not be better for us....does anyone have 2 cents more to add to help make up my mind for me......[msncool]

CarolAnn
03-05-2005, 21:31
We went to AK on our visit in April this year! We had a video camera this time, so the safari was interesting, I think I even have some of it on film. ;) The dinosaur ride is always a favourite. I do understand that people see it as a come down almost from the other 3 parks, but I agree with comments that it is an easier stroll, with other things to offer. I do look at the river every year and wonder what they might put on that? It always looks so inviting [msnsmile]

Paula D-S
15-06-2005, 02:04
Just arrived back from Florida this morning so everything is fresh in my mind. We went to Animal Kingdom and had a fantastic day. The best part was seeing Lucky the dinosaur. My two daughters are 9 and 3 but it was me and my husband who got more excited seeing a walking dinosaur trotting about, it made my day
Caitlin

redlobster
18-06-2005, 02:53
We came over last January with our Grandaughter. One of the days visit was to the AK, we arrived there not realising it closed at 5.00pm.
She loved it{She is 5}.
I found it very relaxing after the other parks..
We now live in Tampa, and I am having my Grandaughter for the whole of the UK summer hols, and she has specially asked to go back to the AK, I am counting the days.
Her best bit was finding the bones in the Dinasaur Park.:D
Redlobster

Maz
07-07-2005, 02:25
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"></span id="Comic Sans MS">
I love AK. My kids (16 and 13) love Tazaarn Rocks and Lion King. I love Dinosaur. We all like the Rapids but try to do last as you get v. wet. It is smaller than MK, Epoct and MGM but you can take your time and be relaxed, look in the shops etc

Mo Guest
10-08-2005, 00:55
We alway enjoy Disneys Animal Kingdom.

We've been several times now and only on our last visit did we come across the Conservation Station and Affection Section. It was really informative and educational for the kids - great stuff to tell all those people who think Disney is just thrills & rides.

Also AK is one of the hottest parks to visit as it has loads of lush vegetation which retains the heat.

chris jones
24-05-2006, 14:54
Having visited this park for the first time i must also add that it felt very closed in and difficult to find your way around its no where near as well signposted as Mr Disneys other parks and as the foliage is so thick you cant actually see very far across to different areas .The Safari however is brilliant and worth the admition fee alone.

russell148
24-05-2006, 21:00
We think Animal Kingdom is great one of the best parks, there is lots to see and enjoy for everyone.

Liz

freddiehollie
11-06-2006, 22:33
This just shows how we all look for different things in the parks!!!!!

sammibabe
13-06-2006, 19:03
Love AK. Eeveryone else went on Everest (I'm not good with rides. I go on the small ones and out of the bigger ones the only one I go is Hulk) and said it was fab. The girls are 13, 11 and 6 and they enjoyed it. They are all into animals though in a big way, particularly the eldest. I went into a dark booth at Rafiki's planrt watch and in it you put on a headset and the cast member said it would sound like you are in a rain forest but nothing was in there with you; it was just sound. It was amazing, really realistic. nice relaxing day

ali-uk
30-12-2006, 01:08
This was one of my favourite parks, really lliked it here better than magic kingdom, sadly we arnt going back to florida for a few years,[msnscared] the husband has just booked skiing again[msnwink]

abbeyvillas
30-12-2006, 14:35
It's a couple of years since we visited AK but felt a morning was enough time there & a 'hop' to another park for the afternoon was the best option for us. We did love the Tree of Life and the Safari trip. We are all animal lovers but visited on a very hot day in August and many of the animals were hidden amongst the trees to find some much needed shade.
Several of our guests have mentioned AK among their favourites - just goes to show it wouldn't do for us all to like the same things!
Jeanette

pbensur
31-12-2006, 17:33
I had a guest recently who had never been to Florida and was looking for advice on how to spend the limited time they had. Since they had teenagers, I told them that AK would be one of the parks to miss since our family has found that one to be our least favorite. Well, they didn't take me advice (good for them!) and in their opinion, AK was the best![msnembarrased]

DisneyPrincess1986
10-07-2008, 23:46
I have to disagree...i love the animal kingdom and think it is a fantasic park. The shows alone are amazing (lion king, nemo: the musical and all of the little shows dotted around as well).

|The addition of Expedition Everest has changed the dynamics of the park, and now there are several great attractions for the thrill seekers as well as those wanting a family day out. Dinasour, Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Bugs Life and now Everest. It has the addition of exploring all the lovely animals as well the great shows and dining.

I for one always look forward to visiting AK and having our annual trip to the Rainforest Cafe for tea after a long day in the park.

:):):):)

ellie
10-07-2008, 23:58
Interesting to see an old thread revived.

I have to say I agree with you, wholeheartedly, Disney Princess. We love Animal Kingdom because it has so much for all the family. At the moment my favourite thing is the wonderful Nemo show, but I still love the safari ride, and my kids can't wait to get on Everest. My favourite ride is Dinosaur, and I try to do that a couple of times every time we go.

I think that since this topic was first posted many attractions have been added to broaden the appeal of this unique park.

So if you haven't experienced it for yourself, then its certainly worth a look.

ShirleyD
11-07-2008, 00:44
The shows are great at this park and I love Bugs Life :D

sammibabe
11-07-2008, 03:32
Is Everest a 'thrill ride'? I don't like the big rides but I do like stuff like The Mummy and smaller coasters. I didn't go on last time but wondered....[msnembarrased]

Nina A
11-07-2008, 04:13
Why does every park have to have 'thrill' rides? Even Sea World has added a couple which do nothing for us as we would rather just enjoy the animals. I think AK is rather like a land based version of sea world, great animals and a great day out [8D]

Mr G
11-07-2008, 10:03
Another vote for AK. We love visiting there,the animals and the feel of the place, Disney have done a great job.

Nina in answer to your question, I suppose they try to cater for all requirements so the odd thrill ride probably satifies those people.

They are by definition Theme Parks so each one, MK, Epcot, MGM and AK has a variation on the Disney theme. I suppose the fact we all prefer different Parks evidences the need for that.

We love them all unfortunately, so on each visit try and get round them all for our 'fix'

I personally like Epcot, but that is the science ..... or is it the kid in me[msnwink]

DisneyPrincess1986
12-07-2008, 01:47
hi sammibabe, Everest is a great ride, but like the mummy, it isn't too intense for the more faint hearted. Its nothing like the Hulk or those kind of rides. If i had to compare it to one i would say its a bigger, bagger version of thunder mountain at the Magic Kingdom.

Definately worth a ride!!!

sammibabe
12-07-2008, 03:02
Thanks Disney Princess. Think I might give it a go[msnscared]

taylona
12-07-2008, 12:41
Another vote for Animal Kingdom from our family...[msnsmile]

MTP
12-07-2008, 13:18
Animal Kingdom is one of our favourites, we tend to find it a calmer and less hectic park. I would agree with DisneyPrincess1986's description of Everest. There are also a couple of cracking hidden Mickey's, will try to find pictures to upload later.

DisneyPrincess1986
12-07-2008, 18:20
yeah try and upload some of those hidden mickeys! always love seeing them!

MTP
13-07-2008, 01:27
Here we go:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/200871221229_HM1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/2008712212317_HM2.jpg

Kazzie
13-07-2008, 01:55
Brilliant Euan, thanks for posting the photos. I recently bought the book about the hidden mickeys so will be interesting searching for them on our next visit to the disney parks.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MTP
Here we go:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/200871221229_HM1.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/MTP/2008712212317_HM2.jpg
[/quote]

DisneyPrincess1986
13-07-2008, 01:56
Thanks for the upload MTP :)

I cant see the hidden micky in the second picture!! help! [msnscared]

Paula D-S
13-07-2008, 03:33
Can't wait to visit Animal Kingdom in a few weeks. Karen where did you get your hidden Mickey book, my girls would love this.

Kazzie
13-07-2008, 03:48
I bought it from Amazon and its really interesting[msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Paula D-S
Can't wait to visit Animal Kingdom in a few weeks. Karen where did you get your hidden Mickey book, my girls would love this.
[/quote]

MTP
13-07-2008, 05:17
The second photo isn't a classic Mickey shape, but Baloo the Bear (or anyway, a bear) looking to the left.

The Hidden Mickey book is fun and we enjoy it. It is amazing to go back to regular attractions and say, 'Oh, yeah...!'

DisneyPrincess1986
13-07-2008, 14:46
i cant see where the hidden mickey is in the second picture [msnscared]

canarypam
13-07-2008, 15:49
It's not a Mickey it's a bear as MTP says it's probably supposed to be Baloo.

Campbell
13-07-2008, 18:28
This is the biggest Hidden Mickey apparently, we were told this at a Q&A session at MGM in the middle of a thunder storm!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Campbell/2008713142758_HiddenMickey.jpg

MTP
14-07-2008, 03:30
Sorry, yes, not all Hidden Mickeys are the classic Mickey silhouette shape - sometimes it is Mickey in profile, but other times it is just a character or a feature.

DisneyPrincess1986
14-07-2008, 11:59
Aww thanks for clarifying-it does resemble Baloo! I love the flamingo enclosure Hidden Mickey!