PDA

View Full Version : Paying by Maestro

dykwim
16-09-2004, 18:21
Do most shops and restaurants in Disney/Orlando accept maestro card payments?

I've always taken TC's in the past but this time was thinking of using my maestro card to have the money come directly out of my bank when i need it. I hear you can also use your maestro card in most ATMs to get cash at a better exchange rate than you'd get for TC's in the UK.

Plus, there's no need to change my money back to pounds when I return to England.

I know there are fees for using my Maestro card in ATM's but how aboout using it for shopping/dining out?

Is this a good idea or should I stick to TC's?

chrisj
16-09-2004, 18:34
Dont know about a Maestro card, but we use a nationwide debit card for both purhcases and
atm's and we dont pay any fees and get a higher exchange rate

Cruella DeVilla
16-09-2004, 18:35
They should do, double check with your bank.

dykwim
16-09-2004, 18:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
Dont know about a Maestro card, but we use a nationwide debit card for both purhcases and
atm's and we dont pay any fees and get a higher exchange rate
[/quote]

Maestro's just another name for Switch if that makes sense. It's a Natwest debit card basically.

chrisj
16-09-2004, 18:47
Oh right, then it should work but as CDV has suggested a quick call to your bank should
confirm that it will work

dykwim
16-09-2004, 18:54
will do, thanks.

Jill
16-09-2004, 21:10
Most definitely recommend the Nationwide cards. We have found the exchange rate much much better as they do not charge a variety of hidden fees. Just come back from a hop across the channel and got an exchange rate of 1.48 for the euro as opposed to 1.41 for TC and cash.

dykwim
17-09-2004, 15:21
Natwest charge 2.75% exchange fee and a 2% commission fee.

Now I'm not sure if it's worth doing this or just getting Travellers Cheques.

I've looked at the Nationwide card and you're right, it's fee free. It's too late for me to set up an account though, I fly next week ;(

blott
17-09-2004, 16:32
If you buy commission free travellers' cheques you start off saving 4.75% over Nat West before you've done anything else!

Make a note to apply for a Nationwide card when you get back for the next Florida visit! :)