PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed

Robin1220
15-09-2004, 07:52
Helpppppp! We have decided to rent a villa next July for a week and I've started getting e-mails with different homes for rent. It's overwhelming trying to get through them all when you have no idea where or how nice they really are. I was hoping that perhaps the pro's from these forums could help me out. There will be 12 of us in total, 9 adults (ages 22-54) and 3 children (2,11,& 13) Our dream house would be casual, child friendly and a nice pool. We prefer one with a nice pool area, private, preferably not facing the neighbors. One home looks nicer than the other so I don't think that will be a problem. I'm one of those people that like to get opinions from people that have been there, done that. I'm not asking for specific rentals but advice on good areas, better areas, and stay away areas. Side note, I'm amazed at how many British people vacation in Florida. We have been trying to get my cousins from England to meet there for a big reunion with no luck. I live in NJ but my dad's whole family is in England--we have been there and would love to go again but I'm afraid to fly at this time. Any help in trying to filter down all the homes out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help,
Robin

MaggieAllan
15-09-2004, 10:50
Hi Robin

We've used villas on several different estates and found them all to be of a very high standard - the ones linked from this site have all passed muster to be able to advertise here so you won't find one to stay away from.

With regard to the communities, obviously all the owners will have a preference for their own areas - that's why they bought there. It really depends on whether you want to be close to WDW etc and the 192, or whether you want to be nearer to golf courses, beaches etc.

Most will tell you in drive time how near they are to things - I know it takes a while to do comparisons - but that's because you get so many responses from this site - believe me, I've tried others and have had either little or no response at all - stick with these guys - they are reliable and very friendly - I assume you have looked around the forum topics, you'll find something on any subjuect you can think of - and if it's not there - just ask. Get some of the others from your group to help look through the villas - make it part of the holiday choosing where to go.

From the size of your group ypu would obviously need a large villa - or perhaps two smaller ones - have you considered that? We stayed as 4 families in two separate villas last year and enjoyed being able to have our own space sometimes.

Have a great time - we're flying tomorrow !!!!
Maggie

Nostromo
15-09-2004, 11:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robin1220
Helpppppp! We have decided to rent a villa next July for a week and I've started getting e-mails with different homes for rent. It's overwhelming trying to get through them all when you have no idea where or how nice they really are. There will be 12 of us in total, 9 adults (ages 22-54) and 3 children (2,11,& 13). We prefer one with a nice pool area, private, preferably not facing the neighbors. Any help in trying to filter down all the homes out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help,
Robin
[/quote]

Hi Robin!

In June last year, I applied through this site to rent a 4-bed villa in Orlando area for April-May 2004, having never used a vacation home before. Within 48 hours, I had 54 e-mailed replies and over the next few days the total almost reached 100. There were so many nice houses that we simply could not make up our minds. In the end, I decided to do it the following way:

- Prepared a 'long list' of what we considered the 10 best villas from the replies received.
- Prepared a short questionnaire to ask the owners regarding specifics eg bedroom sizes, household appliances available, pool use etc.
- Spoke to each of the owners in turn and noted down salient points that impressed us (or otherwise).
- Finally narrowed the list to a 'short list' of 3 villas and accepted the first offer, while asking for 5 days leeway for the other two, explaining the reason honestly. If the first had not come off for some reason, we would have gone for the second...and so on.

I also made sure that I sent a 'No Thank you' reply e-mail to every one of the offers received, and a telephoned message for the two shortlisted villas that we did not rent.

Looking at the size of your party, you probably need at least a 6-bedroom villa, with 4 or 5 bathrooms to ensure there is no queue to get ready in the mornings.

Almost all the Villa Communities in the US27 / US192 corridor are very nice and you are unlikely to go wrong. All the villas in this site are registered and checked and so are 100% reliable. You will always get good advice and back-up from the administrators in the unlikely event of a problem.

huckleberry house
15-09-2004, 12:00
Hi Robin

I have to say I am surprised you have had so many replies considering you need a week in peak season and at least a 6 bed, did you place a general enquiry rather than an enquiry for a 6 bed home and did you state how many people it was for ? If not then the first thing to do would be to delete homes that are less than 6 bedrooms, this should take out a lot leaving you with a few to choose between. I would say dont take too long making your choice because July books very quickly and you may find some of the homes are now booked if you dont act fairly quickly.

Good luck, Lesley

Bazamor
15-09-2004, 16:25
Lesley is spot on Robin, July is school holidays in the UK (as you may be aware) and you would be wise to get in quick. Nearest to WDw seem to be more poular with larger groups as they can pop back to the parks at nite for the fireworks after having a break back at the Villa. Windsor Palms , Formosa, Oak Island Harbour, Rolling Hills, Emerald Island, Lindfields, Indian Ridge are all nearby but anywhere within 15 minutes is fine, and most will say they are!1

Genie
15-09-2004, 16:48
Like Maggie says it might be an idea to rent two villas instead of one , there are several that are next door to one another or at least on the same community and it gives you that extra privacy and as it is so cheap to eat out you could all go out for breakfast or dinner together.

Nostromo
15-09-2004, 20:06
If you still prefer to rent a single villa, take a look at the 'Villa of the Month' link on this site's home page. There is a 6-bed, 4.5-bath villa in Emerald Isle that may suit your requirements if the dates and price are OK. There are also several other links for villas with specific number of bedrooms and bathrooms which will help you to narrow down your choice.

ctgirlscout
15-09-2004, 23:57
Robin--

You should have no problem finding a larger home to fit your family. Not all are booked that far in advance. I think two smaller houses will cost you a lot more.

BTW, we lived in NJ for 15 years (actually my husband was born there). Absolutely loved it!