PDA

View Full Version : Spider 2

Frosty
15-09-2004, 01:00
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Frosty/2004914205758_Spider2.jpg

Ok this is spider 2. Not as pretty colours as the first, but looks a bit more sinister, any help on this one, how about it chrizzy?
This was slightly larger than the first, and was hanging about under a certain persons garage door!!!

Maureen Edwards
15-09-2004, 01:23
I would have freaked if I had seen that thing out there!!! it looks positively evil and huuuuuge... is it poisonous?[msneek]

Genie
15-09-2004, 02:00
Well I just hope he had decided to move before I get their on Oct 1st if not I will be filling in a villa wanted ad on OFV myself !!!!!!!! YUCK !!!

traceya89
15-09-2004, 02:12
my husband has a pet taranchula (not sure of the spelling) which i have been waiting for it to die for some considerable time. it is kept in a fish tank and for our little girl's birthday party piece (she is 9) he gets it out and the children love it. i personally keep away from it. somehow someone in the loft room, where it is kept, knocked the top of the tank and when we noticed we thought it must have escaped and died. Two days later i saw it at the top of our stairs. i was horrified, called for help as husband out of the area, and he advised me to put a box on top of it to stop it moving. he returned and put it back in its tank, relieved that it was still alive. i coped with the situation but i doubt my mother would have.........

chrizzy100
15-09-2004, 02:20
It looks like some kind of wolf spider to me........

cjboatman
15-09-2004, 02:33
That looks really nasty.

LiesaAnna
15-09-2004, 02:38
your sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![msnscared]

linda.s
15-09-2004, 04:02
Looks quite similar to the Huntsman spider I had on my bananas from Asda's a couple of months ago......... [xx(] Scared the +"$% out of me I can tell you! Poor woman near me almost got it in the face, as I flung the bananas and screamed! I'm no good with spiders.........

chrizzy100
15-09-2004, 04:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda.s
Looks quite similar to the Huntsman spider I had on my bananas from Asda's a couple of months ago......... [xx(] Scared the +"$% out of me I can tell you! Poor woman near me almost got it in the face, as I flung the bananas and screamed! I'm no good with spiders.........
[/quote]

It does....both the Huntsman and the Wolf look a bit like a large brown recluse......we need frosty to go back and take a front view...it does have the crab like legs of a huntsman......but I thought the body looked to thin........but it seems some huntsmans have thin bodies too......

jolliffee
15-09-2004, 17:16
Looks just like the one we found hanging around on the Spider Man ride…[msnwink]

ncmurray
16-09-2004, 04:00
Are these type of spiders common in Florida?? Chrissy, if its bad news, please break it gently!![msnscared]

chrizzy100
16-09-2004, 04:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ncmurray
Are these type of spiders common in Florida?? Chrissy, if its bad news, please break it gently!![msnscared]
[/quote]

Well....its like this.......you see.....well ummmmmmmmm........!!!!

Yes you get large spiders............but....you don't see them all the time.........and if you have your home bug sprayed....seeing them indoor should be very very very rare.....just keep the garage door closed......:)

ncmurray
16-09-2004, 12:55
If you get the garage sprayed too would this not keep them away? And how often do you have to have your house sprayed? Spiders do awful things to me. My head spins and stomach churns and spots appear before my eyes, and that is just LOOKING at that photo[msneek]

chrizzy100
16-09-2004, 17:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ncmurray
If you get the garage sprayed too would this not keep them away? And how often do you have to have your house sprayed? Spiders do awful things to me. My head spins and stomach churns and spots appear before my eyes, and that is just LOOKING at that photo[msneek]
[/quote]

The spraying does not always carry on killing spiders......you'll have to keep bug spray in the house and spray when you see them.......thats what we do......the only time we found spiders inside apart from the very tiny ones......was just after closing......remember the house was open for months.....but the bug people came and sprayed everywhere....all we then found were dead ones the next day......mostly small wolf spiders......

I have a clear spray....and I spray the house when we get there.....along the baseboards where spiders get their water.......my house gets more spiders outside because its empty.....but I've yet to find anything nasty indoors.......so I'd not worry about it......:)

Genie
16-09-2004, 19:22
And it's under MY garage door !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope it's decided to move on before I get there, I nearly decided to house the washer and dryer in the gargae I'm glad I changed my mind !! It's HORRIBLE

daxon
17-09-2004, 02:09
We had an absolutely fab stick insect sort of thing on the lanai this time when we were there, along with a baby (i think? [:I]) on its back. It was there for about 2 days & the kids christened it Fred! Must admit I find the different bugs & things found in Florida quite fascinating :)

bridget
17-09-2004, 15:01
Good grief! How big was this spider Frosty? It looks huge!! [msneek]

I hate this time of year in UK - there's loads of them. Is it just my house that gets massive house spiders? [msnsad] A couple of weeks ago we had one on the side of the chair and it was the size of my hand - honestly. [msncry][msncry][msncry]

ncmurray
17-09-2004, 18:38
The size of you hand, Bridget!!!!! What did you do with it?

You aren't alone. September and October seems to be the time for these monsters to invade the house. We had two enormous ones last week, even my five year old was scared, and he doesn't scare easily. It was muggins here who finally had to jump on it!! It was that or watch it go under the sofa, and I just COULDN'T live with that[msnsad]

PLEASE tell me that it wasn't really the size of your hand!

zerotone
17-09-2004, 19:00
One night last week, hubby still suffering from jet lag couldn't sleep, so went downstairs to read on sofa. At about 3am he caught a glimpse of something walking across the carpet, did a double take and decided it was too big for even him to tackle. At this point in the story I'm getting really scared as hubby is not afraid of any bugs[msnscared][msnscared]. Next evening I walked into dining room and could feel something watching me, looked down to see a spider on floor. I swear it was that big I could see its eyelashes as it winked at me, in reality it was probably about 11cm by 8cm (biggest spider I've seen in UK). As I didn't want to scare my son and his friends who were sleeping over for his birthday, I quietly instructed hubby to find a large container and remove it from our house. He bravely caught it and deposited it across the road.

Jane

LiesaAnna
17-09-2004, 19:44
whenever we have spiders, (not that often as the cat seems to find them and play with them)
they always wait for me!!!!! went up to bed one night and this huge thing(brought its rucksack and hob nail boots with it) was on the wall above MY side of the bed hubby had to get the hoover out and get it, but he knows i have really bad night sleep when they've been in the bedroom, its always me that finds them......... when in bed when i go to the loo, when i pull the curtains in kids rooms, Always me........... AND I HATE THEM............[msnoo]

chrizzy100
17-09-2004, 20:27
My spider story ..well....my son was around 7 months old.......and a bit poorly one night so he woke me up wanting a drink...I was still breast feeding....so that was an easy job.....I got a towel out the nappybag by the bed......and sat in the near dark with just the TV on......then I saw it....this huge big spider crawling on the bed..it must of come off the towel.........well I screamed.........hubby woke up screaming......I jumped off the bed and ran out the room........hubby ran out behind me.......and there we were.....both naked......(but hubby for some reason had made time to put on his cowboy boots).. standing in the hallway......I looked down and my son was still feeding on and off....but giving me funny looks.....the spider turned out to be real small......it just looked big in that light......[:I][8)]

The only time I can't handle spiders are if they are in or on the bed........

blott
17-09-2004, 20:29
I've been sleeping in a different room in the UK for nearly two weeks now since I found a huge spider (at least hand size, including legs) high up on the wall over the bed - uggggh! [msnscared] What makes it worse is that, despite keeping the door shut, I can't find it now... [msncry]

lisi
17-09-2004, 21:03
Well - that would be me on the next plane back! Am terrified of the things but never saw any spiders last time in Florida. It appalled me to hear that October was the time they come indoors - my son is even worse than me and a great big lump of a fellow at that. So if we see anything even slightly resembling that photo we will be just rooted to the spot and have to call the neighbours. I wish I had not looked at the blooming thing now[V]

Lisi

Frosty
17-09-2004, 22:52
Hey Everybody,

Sorry for the upset i seem to have caused, but what i was actually demonstrating is my photographic ability:D,which everybody seems to have overlooked[msnwink].

Bridget, if you saw one in the UK the size of your hand, your not going to want to see Fred (Named by Genie its owner/sharer), he must be as big as your head:D:D.

No seriously it was a medium sized hand, from leg to leg.

Regards,

Ray&Sarah
18-09-2004, 03:59
My eldest son had to come and remove a spider from my bedroom this week, with Ray away for a few nights I would have been sleeping on the sofa but he sorted it out for me. Just as well he doesn't share his mums fear of those hairy monsters.:D

blott
18-09-2004, 04:14
Send your son round here please as I'd quite like to get into my own bed again... [msncry]

Ray&Sarah
18-09-2004, 04:31
Any time Blott, but i'll warn you he's a moaning, groaning teenager. But we love him!:)

blott
18-09-2004, 04:39
As long as he's not afraid of spiders, I'll put up with the moaning and groaning! :D

lisi
18-09-2004, 11:40
Well Frosty you have just made things worse! As big as your hand - I am now a nervous wreck and no way will I enter the garage when we get to our villa! It will be me that will have to deal with it too as son is equally terrified if not more so. Think we will cancel our flights now !!!;)

Lisi

linsan
18-09-2004, 14:58
Having just seen the photo I now know why Walmart sells shotguns!!

LiesaAnna
18-09-2004, 16:06
ha ha ha :D:D:D

bridget
18-09-2004, 17:24
Jane - yep 'fraid so. From leg to leg. It's body was probably the size of a pound coin.

Don was outside having a ciggie so I stood there for about a minute just staring at it. Was afraid to leave it in case in crawled somewhere and then couldn't find it. Don caught it and put it outside. IT WAS A MONSTER!

No, I doubt I could cope with seeing something like that bad-boy!

*shudder* [xx(]

LesleyB
18-09-2004, 19:42
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/lesleyb/2004918153931_spidercyprus.jpg

Hi - we found this spider in our Greek holiday days in Cyprus. Stuart hid in the bedroom while I had to shoo it out on to the balcony then down. I spent the rest of the holiday worrying that it was coming back to get me for throwing it out.

LiesaAnna
18-09-2004, 19:50
right thats it, i am gonna take pictures of every yukkie spider i see!!!!!!!!!![msntongue]

ncmurray
19-09-2004, 03:55
Lesley, I just KNEW that a photo was on its way! I had to maximise the window in order to read the writing across the page, so I was waiting for the photo, but it still scared the hell out of me[msneek] Everyone, please post a warning before you load up a photo, because I just don't want to see any more like that! I'm going to bed now, and my skin will crawl all night long, and I will have to check out the bed and bedroom before I can get anywhere near relaxed. I think its going to be a long night....

lisi
19-09-2004, 11:00
Why am I looking at these wretched photos when I am scared stiff of the things!!! Lesley - it looks enormous how on earth did you have the presence of mind to take a photo - I would have fainted on the spot.[:0]

Lisi

LesleyB
19-09-2004, 15:21
This was in the days before digital cameras and I was standing a LONG way away (I used photosuite to crop the picture)- it was the first time I had heard my brave husband scream (he spotted it first!). I have never seen him move so fast - he dashed into the bedroom and was standing on the bed directing me from a distance on how to remove it from the room. We had a balcony with open railings, so I somehow got it to crawl in the right direction and gave it a gentle push over and down.

You can see spiders in any country, but it is very rare to see them inside a place, especially when there is a lot of movement and noise going on - they prefer the quiet life, so now we have a family (very noisy and never keep still) we doubt we will see one like that again.

lisi
19-09-2004, 21:47
I had to laugh - I just came back from picking up a friend and she showed me her new summer house and garden improvements and the next thing she said as she pointed to the shed was "do you want to see the pet tarantula"? I nearly died as I had just been reading this posting again and saw the 2nd spider photo! No way did I want to see the pet tarantula. How on earth can people keep them as pets? Relieved to hear they don't come indoors too much though.:(

Lisi

Frosty
20-09-2004, 02:39
LesleyB

Now that is a spider!!!!!

Beats my poor thing hands down.

ncmurray
20-09-2004, 03:21
Lesley, you persuaded it over your balcony?? Do you know if there was anyone below???? It doesn't bear thinking about

chrizzy100
20-09-2004, 03:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LesleyB
This was in the days before digital cameras and I was standing a LONG way away (I used photosuite to crop the picture)- it was the first time I had heard my brave husband scream (he spotted it first!). I have never seen him move so fast - he dashed into the bedroom and was standing on the bed directing me from a distance on how to remove it from the room. We had a balcony with open railings, so I somehow got it to crawl in the right direction and gave it a gentle push over and down.

You can see spiders in any country, but it is very rare to see them inside a place, especially when there is a lot of movement and noise going on - they prefer the quiet life, so now we have a family (very noisy and never keep still) we doubt we will see one like that again.
[/quote]

It is a beauiful looking spider Lesley.....and a great picture......
:D

LiesaAnna
20-09-2004, 03:54
it is beautiful in a picture but thats as far as it goes crazy bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LesleyB
20-09-2004, 17:03
Nuala

I did check first that there was nothing below us - just grass! :D

LiesaAnna
20-09-2004, 17:44
i get scared now clicking on the page dont know why i keep looking.............

pauline
05-10-2004, 01:42
Any good names of the spray to kill these things - when we go next week I am heading for the first Walmart I can find to get the spray

Sharon G
07-10-2004, 00:18
I am not scared of anything like Rats, mice, snakes,MEN!![msnwink][msnwink]...but, if I see a small spider I freak out!!!![msncry][msncry][msncry]
...this is the only thing that worries me whilst in Florida!!!!

...saying that, Paul has had to evict 3 big hairy things from our UK house just this week!!!!
I can't and won't kill any, so catch them and then let them go about half mile down our close ...(frightened they'll find their way back to our house!!)
....darent kill any in case their mates come back in force for revenge[msneek][msneek]

Sharon

Frosty
07-10-2004, 02:16
Hey Sharon,

You might be onto a new sport, Homing Spiders:D, you could take them a mile away and then see how long it takes for them to get back:D

domster
15-10-2004, 19:12
My god, im sure that would be able to eat a person! Is it a bird eating spider?

DOM

Sharon G
16-10-2004, 17:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Hey Sharon,

You might be onto a new sport, Homing Spiders:D, you could take them a mile away and then see how long it takes for them to get back:D
[/quote]

....You know the one we evicted last week!!!!!!
........I,m sure he's returned[msneek][msneek]
we had another last night, the size of a childs hand [msnoo][msnoo][msnoo]
I wish I could like them... I wouldn't awake the neighbours when I scream [msnembarrased][msnembarrased][msncry][msncry]

Sharon

lisi
19-10-2004, 23:58
I thought of you all - when we arrived 2 weeks ago the first thing we saw was a huge spider on the wall of the lanai! I nearly died but had to deal with it because huge 6' and 15 stone son was more terrified than me!!! A few days later one greeted me in the bathroom off the master bedroom. Huge but not hairy legs just long. However, the can of spray works wonders. But I did chuckle when I thought of this topic and the photos. I was too scared to go and get the camera in case it ran away and I couldn't find it. Then I would have had nightmares wondering where it was headed.[V]

Lisi

LiesaAnna
20-10-2004, 01:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lisi
I thought of you all - when we arrived 2 weeks ago the first thing we saw was a huge spider on the wall of the lanai! I nearly died but had to deal with it because huge 6' and 15 stone son was more terrified than me!!! A few days later one greeted me in the bathroom off the master bedroom. Huge but not hairy legs just long. However, the can of spray works wonders. But I did chuckle when I thought of this topic and the photos. I was too scared to go and get the camera in case it ran away and I couldn't find it. Then I would have had nightmares wondering where it was headed.

Lisi [V]
[/quote]

well, i'll try very hard not to think of a shark called Lisi swimming towards me if and when i next see a spider,

(ughh you want to try and do quote from this page, the horrid spider thing gets in the picci

Mistaya
13-11-2004, 03:56
Hubby and I loved looking at these photo's of the spiders, although I'm not very keen on them myself. The first time I went to Florida the villa we stayed in had an orange spider in residence. It was in the bathroom and stayed on the ceiling causing no problems until one night we came home from a park and it was on the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom I was sharing with my sister. Us kids demanded that it be removed immediately and it was my sister that had to do it as my dad was scared. Wish I had a photo of it now.

Are Orange spiders fairly common in Florida? Are they venomous? It wasn't very big but I'd never seen an orange spider before. Just wondering how lucky an escape I had [msnsmile2]

Frosty
14-11-2004, 21:48
Hi Mistaya,

Strange to see old Spider 2 make a re-appearance, Glad to hear you enjoyed looking at them, have you checked out Spider 1, that one is much 'Prettier'
Its here in the postings a page or so back.

Dennan
16-11-2004, 10:58
I'm terrified of spiders, just wondering how you get rid of these...

I'll guess you don't slap them against the wall of your rented home.
[msnwink]

This will be my worst nightmare on our upcoming holiday when it will be the first time we rent a villa.

lisi
17-11-2004, 15:11
There is a great can of spray in a black & gold can which is quite high powered which you can buy at Publix adn supposed to kill all bugs. I sprayed the spider to within an inch of its life - it promptly fell down and curled up and then I splatted it with a table tennis bat to make sure! Same happened with the second one by which time I was a nervous wreck. Other than a couple of cockroaches and a funny black long insect, didn't have any problems. I could quite easily cope with the raccoons and lizards but the spiders really get to me!

Lisi

orlando novice
17-09-2005, 12:28
could someone please please please tell me if any of the spiders in florida are dangerous, don't feel so excited about my up and coming trip....[msnembarrased]

owen3
17-09-2005, 15:47
Talking about the huntsman, we stopped at a place in Australia for a coffee just of the highway. My sister and i were talking to the people while we were waiting for a coffee. Next thing we heard my future son in law shouting, he said quick come and see this spider. He had gone into the outside toilet, noticed something when he looked up he saw a huge spider above him , on top of the wall,as he is terrified of spiders, needless to say he did not use the gents. I nearly wet myself laughing. It was huge i like spiders but did not know at the time which one it was. I was told it is harmless, but it can move quickly. Also seen the southern cross spider, and golden orb spider, both are big spiders, but harmless. The southern cross hasd an interesting web, in the middle of the web, there is a yellow cross. Really nice. Maybe we can get Twiglet to post a picture on one.I find spiders interesting, and believe most big ones are harmless. Barbara

dj_padd
18-10-2005, 03:11
This nice little fella wanted to come to Orlando with us, it managed to stay on untill we were going about 150 mph down the runway, thats when its legs came off one by one untill it fell of the window
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/dj_padd/2005101723918_window.jpg

LiesaAnna
18-10-2005, 03:48
God Bless it!![msnwink]