PDA

View Full Version : help with norton/mcafee firewall please

tezz7628
13-09-2004, 15:52
can i very calmly ask this question please

does any body else have this

am trying to get the radio stations and i think its stopping me

can get radio 1 and certain others but am trying for k92 fm orlando

i wonder if its also stopping me searching on the forum???

huckleberry house
13-09-2004, 16:06
If you have a pop up blocker on you wont be able to open the radio station to listen live. Press your control button when opting for live radio and keep it depressed for a while and it should load okay.

Lesley

tezz7628
13-09-2004, 16:38
thanks

tried it but all i get is the option to send to a friend otherwise a small black screen

wilfy
13-09-2004, 17:14
Tezz,
it sounds like you are missing the plugin to allow you to listen to that station.

tezz7628
13-09-2004, 17:18
ok

have turned off ad protection completely and still didnt get connected till as you say lesley i hit ctrl button

am listening to it now , but what kind of problems am i going to get with ad protection off

i thought it was possible to turn ads on and off per individual sites

just checking as well

but it keeps going dead every now and then i presume thats there end

you've just saved it being chucked thru a top floor window :D thanks everybody :D

feeling calmer now, dont know if its winning over this new fangled thing or that florida station :D

chrisj
13-09-2004, 17:34
Not that I know that much :D but you should be able to allow individual sites

blott
13-09-2004, 18:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:but it keeps going dead every now and then i presume thats there end[/quote]It's probably buffering the next lot of stream for you Tezz. It depends on your internet connection how long the spaces are in between as it should buffer continuously.

Sputnick
13-09-2004, 19:04
On your web browser go to TOOLS, then Internet options, click on security tab then Trusted sites, then Sites. If you then enter the web site address, (you can copy and paste) this should let you view that site or any other that you trust and have entered.
Regards
Bryan

Jill
13-09-2004, 19:09
Do you use AOL? If so that is the problem we have to shrink AOL and listen via Internet Explorer.

Ray&Sarah
13-09-2004, 20:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sputnick
On your web browser go to TOOLS, then Internet options, click on security tab then Trusted sites, then Sites. If you then enter the web site address, (you can copy and paste) this should let you view that site or any other that you trust and have entered.
Regards
Bryan
[/quote]

We have the same problem as Tezz and just tried this Bryan, but it came up with must be https.[msncry]
Turning the pop-up stoppers off didn't work either.

emm
13-09-2004, 23:15
I have the 'searching the Forum' problem.

Could the firewall be affecting that? If so, what can I do?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-09-2004, 00:47
Very definitely. You need to set the firewall to allow all forum cookies.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emm
I have the 'searching the Forum' problem.

Could the firewall be affecting that? If so, what can I do?

[/quote]

tezz7628
14-09-2004, 14:21
blimey that was a long drop, not as good as tower of terror though :D

am i destined to stay in the cellar for ever more :D

turned it off for dinner now cant get it back on disabled ads, turned all cookies off

best i can get is reconnecting then says off air

i could buy a credit card or a car though [msnmad] with the ads that come up :D

is it norton or would any firewall antivirus give problems

i'm getting first party cookies, third party cookies and session cookies in that tools options but no forum cookies,on the same page as cookies level is a pop up window, that is ticked but in settings i am allowing stream radio

any help gratefully accepted please.

emm
14-09-2004, 15:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628[
i'm getting first party cookies, third party cookies and session cookies in that tools options but no forum cookies,on the same page as cookies level is a pop up window, that is ticked but in settings i am allowing stream radio

any help gratefully accepted please.

[/quote]

I am in exactly the same boat, and would welcome any suggestions as well!

tezz7628
14-09-2004, 18:13
seen the pop up blocker seetins for full blocking with ctrl overide so now know about that bit more fully now lesley

not sure what you mean jill

can listen to radio 1 bay news 9 whats the difference in 96fm??????

just turned cookies on to ban all sites- the highest level, tried entering this site although my password was remembered and it says i logged on successfully i couldnt get in

turned ccokies now to lowest level and got into the site ok, so thats working

tried k92 again getting the website but each time i enter live it comes back to web site until i hit ctrl button

get as far as it saying reconnecting then off air

just to be certain does it ever go off air!!!!

have deleted norton security and put on the recommended mcafee site still no joy but will change the title anyway

is there anybody out there who uses aol and mcafee/norton firewall

or what do you use especially if you can receive k92 fm

Jill
14-09-2004, 22:49
Tezz
We have AOL which has a mind of its own. No matter what we turned on or turned off, disabled or enabled we could not listen to k92 fm live via AOL. As AOL is our ISP what we had to do to listen to this station prior to using a wireless network broadband 'thingy' (technical term) was to sign on to AOL then minimise AOL this allowed us to open internet explorer and then we could open k92 fm and listen to it live. Now we have the new network 'thingy' we can get on to the internet without opening AOL so can tune straight into the radio station.

tezz7628
14-09-2004, 23:20
thanks for replying jill

a few problems really

if your running aol and minimise it, are you not still on aol, its just like minimising an ordinary web page isnt it?

and it was working ok yesterday, eventually, before i shut it down

are you saying your wireless broadband is aol

mine is aol broadband, i would have thought the only difference would have been the wireless if you see what i mean :)

im that annoyed about this thing that i've started a college course yesterday on building them [msnmad] :D

Jill
15-09-2004, 00:51
Tezz

I know what you mean about minimising AOL like an ordinary web page but for some reason it seems to push AOL out of the picture. There are some web sites that say will not work with AOL but to minimised AOL and open explorer.

We do have AOL broadband but no longer through a modem but via a 'wireless ADSL firewall router' (if you know what one of these is!) We did this so both children can use the internet at the same time.

tezz7628
15-09-2004, 01:05
every one of the pages i use is explorer

i dont tend to use aol or previously bt dial up pages as didnt like the symbols (stick with something you know)

as i said was working yesterday

have used wireless in the states so know about that

so seeing that you have aol i dont think its aol thats stopping the radio

your aol and explorer pages are running thru aol if i understand that correctly

tezz7628
25-09-2004, 00:44
hopefully this ends the story for me :)

past couple of weeks trying ITS NOW WORKING , turned it off and on again just to make sure

past couple of days mcafee hasnt appeared in taskbar, so asked aol what to do they said reinstall aol so i did

the difference this time is:-

firewall there before installing aol

installed aol from a different disk than the one i got for installing broadband

it does need the ctrl button to be depressed though as previously mentioned

if any body can explain i would be interested :)

thanks everybody for your help anyway

tezz7628
25-09-2004, 14:56
listening again today everything seems ok

except some of the ads sound like they are being fast forwarded like a fast spinning LP is that normal. the ordinary programming is quite normal

maybe british tv could take it up and give us a break from them :)

blott
25-09-2004, 16:22
You mean you want to listen to the adverts? [:0] I think you've done really well Tezz on getting it sorted out. :)

tezz7628
25-09-2004, 22:11
thanks blott, but i dont think i've done anything technical really, except be persistent

i still dont know what's been going on, logic tells me to uninstall aol and try the broadband disk again see if that was the fault [msnscared]