PDA

View Full Version : Marco/Naples/Cape coral??????????

poet123
10-09-2004, 23:43
We have shortlisted waterfront game room homes in each of these 3 places but are hesitating over which place to go with.
We stayed on Captiva in july and loved it, the plusses being you could walk to all the restaurants in the evenings, and it was very tropical. We did not manage to get to any of the three places we now would like info on.
The only minus point for me was the long drive over the causeway made journeys to other places seem quite long, this doesnt bother me at all but the kids do not like long car journeys!!!
So whilst Marco seems ideal is it as far from the mainland as Captiva?
Naples looks lovely but is it more of a city with beaches rather than a resort type place?
Cape coral is also an option but are there enough facilites within walking distance or is it like Orlando where you need to get into the cat to eat out unless you stay on IDRIVE?
We only saw one place which was not for us on the gulf Fort Myers Beach, which seemed quite tacky and dilapidated in the areas we saw .
So, all info welcome

Ruth
11-09-2004, 00:16
We drove to Cape Coral when we stayed in Rotunda 18 months ago. I must say I didn't like it at all:(

fiona
11-09-2004, 03:17
We stayed in Marco (for a short while until we got re-homed!) after being on Sanibel previously, found it very shantyish in comparison and have to drive to get to eateries. Quite a long drag to get anywhere else on the mainland. We got moved to Naples which is v different -I would agree with your summary a city by the sea - in fact seemed v similar to Orlando but without the theme parks. Had all the usual restaurants, Red Lobster etc but traffic was a nightmare. Other part is nice if you want to walk round smart shops and eat in expensive restaurants. With kids in tow this might not be an option! If you want a beach on Naples you need to be staying on one as difficult /expensive to park.

We have been to Sanibel twice and not gone further than the shopping mall (and that was only because it was tipping it down with rain) as part of the attraction is to get away from all that, so cannot comment on Fort Myers or Cape Coral.

bellaepovera
11-09-2004, 13:25
We also stayed in a 4 bedroom villa with the private pool right on the water in Marco Island. Although very peaceful the town itself i thought was very boring especially for kids. Not much night life. Most of the homes do have their own private docks for boats if your interested in renting one and using that for the week. I like to go to Clearwater as the main street is lots of fun for daytime and evening walks and there seems much more to do. We also rented jetskis for one hour..FUN!! but oh my body was sooo soar the next day..

Cruella DeVilla
11-09-2004, 22:04
Naples is lovely but probably best suited to couples. We love it, but spend most of our time by the pool and then down to the old town for the night. It is expensive though. Have you considered Fort Myers Beach, very popular.

foxfirelane
16-09-2004, 14:45
Hi there. I must disagree with the opinions that Naples is expensive, best for couples, and like Orlando as it is none of these.....

How about the beaches, fantastic for families, such as Clam Pass County Park, coastal dunes and miles of beach on the gulf, a boardwalk that provides access to the beach through a mangrove forest; Or Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Recreation, a natural,low key beach that extends for mile south from the mouth of the Cocohatchee River (see loggerhead turtle nesting in the summer); Or Lowdermilk Park (our favourite) convenient family-friendly beach has everything you need to stay the entire day; Or Naples Pier, the beach for everyone -- swimmers, fishermen, sunbathers, windsurfers and shellers alike.

Renting right on the beach is prohibitively expensive for most people, upwards of $5000 a week, but stay just 5-10 mins away and you can be on the beach in no time at all. You can get $10 visitor parking permits allowing you to park right by the beach.

Or the shopping? everything from upmarket boutiques on 5th Avenue to discount shopping, such as at Miromar Outlets. Or how about the art galleries, the theatres, the museums? Or charter a boat out into Naples Bay or to go fishing. Or go to the zoo, Caribbean Gardens or take an airboat trip from Everglades City. Perhaps take the shuttle to Key West (you can do a return trip in a day if you really wanted).

There are literally hundreds of restaurants in Naples, to suit all tastes and pockets, you can eat looking out onto Naples Bay very reasonably as a family, or indulge in Michelin style fine dining if that's your bag.

Need I mention that Naples is the golf capital of Florida? Top quality, numerous and very reasonable and much cheaper than in Europe.

Naples is a relaxed and laid back City and easy to get around by car. It lacks the tackiness of other cities further up the Coast yet still has plenty of activities for all tastes. It is nothing like Sanibel or Marco, which are quieter and not really comparable, but nor is it like Orlando.

It can be expensive, you get what you pay for after all, but needn't be more expensive than any other Florida city. Don't discount Naples as a destination. It just depends what you want.

We have two young children and just love it.

Cruella DeVilla
16-09-2004, 16:18
We love Naples to and visit every trip. The point about better for couples is in comparison to Orlando. There might not be enough of the Mouse type venues to keep kids going, although as you say there are lots of other things to do.

John Rocke
30-09-2004, 03:04
has anyone stayed in Venice (Fla of course)? it is just down the coast from Sarasota and we stayed there for a week last year to rest after the madness that is Orlando et al.
we had a fantastic villa about 5 minutes walk from Manasatee Beach.
it was very residential, secluded and peaceful. we had to drive for everything except the beach, but that was fine.
on our last day we were on the beach and swimming in the sea. Apparently there had been a red(?) tide and this had brought three Manatees out from the intercostal waterway and along the shoreline looking for food. They spent about 1/2 hour swimming around, in and out between the crowds in the water, quite happy to be brushing up against the people there. That was a truly memorable experience.

Ruth
30-09-2004, 03:15
Venice is just down the road from Englewood, Rotunda, Cape Haze which is where we like to stay at the Gulf coast:)The beaches in that area are wonderful I agree[8D]