PDA

View Full Version : Best Car Hire company?

Nostromo
10-09-2004, 14:20
This poll might be a bit superfluous given the popularity of a certain firm over its competitors in the Orlando sector, but worth getting opinions anyway.

chrisj
10-09-2004, 14:25
I have used most on the list through personal travel and work, To be honest they are
all very similar. To me a car is a device to get from A to B, so I go for price rather
than company

CarolAnn
10-09-2004, 14:53
Agree with you ChrisJ:):D
Though Dollar is on site at MCO which apart from anything else, is a bonus in itself:D[8D]:D:)

brizzle
10-09-2004, 14:57
I chose to ignore the price issue and voted with regards to service.
I went with Alamo because at MCO you can actually pick the car you want from the parking lot and drive that one out as opposed to Dollar where you were allocated the car at the desk.

But all things not being equal since the price for Dollar is cheaper on this site I would normally go for them for pure savings.

They are so close in terms of service it is almost a dead heat.

Brizzle

blott
10-09-2004, 15:44
I chose Dollar as, in our experience having tried most of the rest, we think they have better cars, newer, less miles and models more suited to our requirements.

Phil and Mel
10-09-2004, 15:46
We've only been the once so not really in a position to vote. The car we had was hired through Alamo and seemed fine enough. Next car is booked through Dollar so we will have a chance to compare next year. [msnwink]

I agree with Brizzle though that it was great to go and pick your own car with Alamo [msnwink]

We have booked it through this site's link, so I will obviously let you know if there are any probs. I can't imagine there will be though!! [msnscared][msnscared]

KirstieLou
10-09-2004, 17:06
Booked an economy 2 door in Nov 2002. When we went to pick it up it was a 4 dor! Bonus! After 1 week the car just died. The battery wouldn't charge. Anyway, we managed to get back to our villa (after 2 lovely blokes in a huge pick up got us going again) and I phoned Dollar at Orlando Int. They were at my villa within 1 hour with a 7 seater mini-van with FULL tank of fuel.

Wonderful service by Dollar

chrizzy100
10-09-2004, 17:34
We've been making our way throught the list of car hire companies and so far L&M has been the best one for FL......not only on price......but on service........we'll stay with them for our trips from a while and see if that stays the case.........

AndyC
10-09-2004, 17:41
We had Dollar on our last two occasions, however, our last visit just recently we just sailed through imigration/customs and baggage coollection and actually got to the dollar desk whils there were people still queueing from the last flight. Anyway we had pre-booked a 12 seater (which is just eight seater +4 previous posts)and were very disappointed when we had to wait for one to become available, this took 2 hours, we were not amused.

I did approach the desk saying that if I returned the vehicle late I would be charged extra, to which they reply we will extend the hire period......a lot of good when you've a plane to catch!!!!.

So, nice comfortable car/van but the wait is something that no one wants.

Just a little bit of advise to anyone thinking of getting an 8/12 seater, other than its the same vehicle, is that any elderly people in your group may have difficulty in getting aboard these beasts, we did have to buy a step from walmart but before that we had to get MIL in by piling up bags and cases to act as steps, looking back on it it was very funny and the looks we got!!!!!!!

brizzle
10-09-2004, 17:44
With regards to the wait, the last time we went, by the time we arrived at Alamo desk to pick up the car we had to wait about 45 minutes due to the queue.
We kept looking across at the Dollar desk and there was no wait at any time so it seems like the luck of the draw with regards wait time.

Brizzle

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-09-2004, 17:45
As far as I know L&M only rent to US customers - either that or they do not offer the insurances UK guests need.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
We've been making our way throught the list of car hire companies and so far L&M has been the best one for FL......not only on price......but on service........we'll stay with them for our trips from a while and see if that stays the case.........
[/quote]

rosie
10-09-2004, 18:08
The last 2 times we have been over we used Hertz as we got good deals with them but both cars developed faults and had to be replaced. In their defence the service we received was excellent, they brought the cars to the villa's for us and nothing was too much trouble.

We have also used Dollar, Alamo and Budget with no problems. They are all much of a muchness and as long as they fit the luggage in and get around where we want to go, thats good enough for me :)

Our next 2 cars have been booked with Dollar from the link at the top of the page :)

linda.s
10-09-2004, 18:13
Well, we have only used Dollar, and are using them again for FLorida (I have used Budget when over for work and they were fine, but that was in Detroit)

We found the queue at Dollar not too bad, and they offered to upgrade our car, which we accepted, as the cost was far less than if we had done it from they UK, so we were very happy! We had a MPV as the upgrade last time, so we've gone for it again, as we like them!

Robert5988
10-09-2004, 18:19
I normally have a compact as there are only 2/3 of us with only hand luggage.

I have found that the Alamo compact cars are without central locking, electric windows, electrically adjustable mirrors while the Dollar cars have these items – I don’t know if I have just been unlucky but I go several times a year.

Most of the cars are only a few months old with very low mileage. However they obviously get a very rough life as there are often scratches to the bodywork and stains inside. At least with Alamo you get to choose a less marked version.

That said the cars only get a cursory inspection for damage on return and you are ‘processed’ in a couple of minutes.

chrizzy100
10-09-2004, 18:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
As far as I know L&M only rent to US customers - either that or they do not offer the insurances UK guests need.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]
[/quote]

That I'm not sure about....I found info on them on a holiday forum.....after L&M came up as the cheapest on my searchbar....so I went to see if anyone was unhappy with the service.......and found out that the only ones that were.. never read the e-mail that tells you you MUST take you INs papers with you if you're not taking their Ins......or they will make you take out theirs......

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2004, 18:36
Much of a sameness I think. Although Alamo provided shocking service the last time in August, made us wait in the sun after a 10 hour flight for half an hour as they did not have any cars!!! We had obviously prebooked. The car eventually came dripping wet, no problem with that but it had not been valeted inside and smelt of smoke also. Covered in scratches and paint job on the bonnet where someone had damaged it and tried to cover it. They were like yeah its ok but I insisted they took down all the damage. Not using them again if we can help it.

domster
01-10-2004, 20:13
We have never had any probelms with alamo.

They always come up the cheapest!

DOM

luckylady
18-03-2005, 02:51
Dollar for us everytime
Barbara

Lesley S
18-03-2005, 13:36
We have had both.

Think of going with Alamo this year though, as they are the cheapest we have been quoted. We have had a dollar car go wrong twice, both on the same trip and they exchanged them both no problems, infact they upgraded us.

We had a car from Dollar at Sanford Airport and there was only my mum, myself and our little girl (18 months at the time), the car was clean on the outside and it absolutely stunk of smoke... we refused it and then got upgraded to any car we fancied. Even down to a 4 wheel drive and we had only paid for an economy car. Think we picked a full car in the end, as this was the first time I had driven in Florida.

chunkichik
19-03-2005, 18:34
We've only used Alamo so far and both times they have been excellent!!

Fran19
22-03-2005, 00:42
Wouldn't book with Alamo again. Had trouble with the car and hubby took it back early in the morning before anyone else up. Unfortunately my eldest had left his brand new sunglasses in a pocket in the car. Hubby raced back but they said no sunglasses found in any cars! Alamo = thieves! They were definitely in the car we returned. 1 pair of sunglasses = no more business from us for the next ? amount of years!! Hope they are pleased with their staff. We always try to book with Dollar now.

berni_richards
22-03-2005, 00:47
I have used Hertz, Dollar & Alamo.

Hertz have better cars BUT much more expensive even with my work discount I used to get.

Dollar cars OK price very good, L&M never have great availability. Alamo I like as you can pick your car. My hubbie also picks the biggest engine!!

Daglish
22-03-2005, 22:24
We've used a few of the companies on the poll but since having an accident in Miami we have always stuck with Dollar.

In short we were on our way back to Orlando from the Keys and whilst in traffice in Miami were 'rear ended' at a red light by one of those big yellow school buses of all things! We were lucky in that a fire truck were in the lane next to us and they coned off the road, checked we were OK and contacted the local police (they were also very good witnesses that it wasn't our fault!!)

When we finally got sorted we contacted Dollar expecting to go through loads of hassle and paperwork when in fact it couldn't be easier. They gave us details of the local pick-up and when we got there we just handed over the police report number and a new convertible was waiting for us.

They were also really good about making sure we felt safe driving etc and sorting out where we were going to stay as it was now evening.

Top Service all round!!

Tracy

Steve and Dawn
23-03-2005, 00:13
We have used most of them over the years. They tend to change position in the Best/Cheapest league every few years. I too like the fact with Alamo you can pick your car from the Garage. At one time Dollar was the most expensive now they seem to have dropped prices to match and beat Alamo. They have dropped some of their cars though. At one time in their full size line up was the Dodge Intrepid or Poniac Grand Prix. Last year when we went they only had Ford Taurus as a full size. Also Dollar only rent for periods of 28 days. Whereas Alamo do it for 56 Days I believe. I think Budget was the cheapest for us about 4 years ago for a full size.

Steve & Dawn

ringwood1
23-03-2005, 20:19
Had to go for Dollar as this is the only company we have used due to the price, standard of car and the service we have received. Doesn't seem much point in changing.

julieanne
23-03-2005, 20:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn
We have used most of them over the years. They tend to change position in the Best/Cheapest league every few years. I too like the fact with Alamo you can pick your car from the Garage. At one time Dollar was the most expensive now they seem to have dropped prices to match and beat Alamo. They have dropped some of their cars though. At one time in their full size line up was the Dodge Intrepid or Poniac Grand Prix. Last year when we went they only had Ford Taurus as a full size. Also Dollar only rent for periods of 28 days. Whereas Alamo do it for 56 Days I believe. I think Budget was the cheapest for us about 4 years ago for a full size.

Steve & Dawn
[/quote]

I was surprised last year too when Dollar could no longer offer a Dodge Intrepid - it was a Taurus or nothing in the full size .

Is this permanent??

A few people have mentioned chosing their cars from Alamo - how does this work and can you do it at the airport or do you have to go to the depot??

Michele L
25-03-2005, 02:32
Dollar everytime. Simply NO QUEUE, Every time we arrive at MCO we take one look at Alamo and go "Thank god" we do not have them.

Also is there sucha thing as a 2 door compact. I always go for a 2 door - never ever had one.

Michele

chrizzy100
25-03-2005, 02:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Michele L
Dollar everytime. Simply NO QUEUE, Every time we arrive at MCO we take one look at Alamo and go "Thank god" we do not have them.

Also is there sucha thing as a 2 door compact. I always go for a 2 door - never ever had one.

Michele
[/quote]

We always order the two door....and always get an upgrade to a four...

We go with who ever is the cheapest....this time its budget...last time we use a place based in the UK with everything in the price....but this time they worked out more than Budget.....so far all the places we have used have been fine...no waits...nice clean cars...no trouble at drop off..etc....the Dollar car did make a sound like we had a police car behind us some times......[msnscared]

Harmony
30-03-2005, 19:02
Have used Alamo and Dollar with the cars from both being quite OK. However the service at the desk with Dollar last year was terrible. We were pressured to take a larger vehicle and made to feel stupid when we refused. The man was down right rude. Had I not been so tired and anxious to get on our way I would have made a formal compliant.[msnmad]

Jeff

fraser
21-07-2005, 03:05
I must be using the wrong company

mo83
29-07-2005, 01:10
hi i would like to know if anyone has rented sat.nav.from either dollar or alamo when hiring car
thanks bradsgran
ps i've rented dollar and alamo nothing between them

blott
29-07-2005, 03:07
Why not rent one of the OV sat navs? This is pre-programmed for all the places you're likely to visit as well as directions to your accommodation. http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/sat-nav.aspx

Kazzie
20-08-2005, 01:25
We have use Alamo on several occasions but have never been able to choose the actual car[msnsad] Is this only available at Orlando International? We usually fly into Sanford so that could explain things.

Karen

owen3
20-08-2005, 05:03
We prefer dollar, every time we have used alamo, there is a problem. Barbara