PDA

View Full Version : traveling with an infant

momsbirthdayvacation
08-09-2004, 10:49
I am researching villa rentals for the first time - traveling to disney area in february 2005 to celebrate moms 60th birthday - will be traveling with a 20 month old child
I see in a few listings that a cot/crib and a push chair are included with some - would this be for a full size crib or travel play pen or an actual cot and should I assume a push chair is a stroller?
I would hate to have to travel with these items - would be a hassle on the plain ride
should I ask owner if they can provide these items if they are not listed in the actual listing?
any replies are appreciated as this is my first time planning a trip renting a house
thank you

huckleberry house
08-09-2004, 11:15
Hello and welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of homes now that do provide all the equipment needed for a 20 month child. In general the crib would be of the travel variety although I know that some owners will either have a full size crib or be able to have one ready for you at the home. Yes a pushchair is indeed a stroller, if you find a home you like there is no harm in asking the owner if they can provide you with what you need although if they havent got them already there may be a reason why. You can always put in an enquiry through www.orlandovillas.com www.villasflorida.com or www.onlinefloridavillas.com listing your requirements in the information box and owners with availability for your dates and the equipment you need will reply.As you rightly say it does make travelling easier if you havent got to take these extras with you.

Good luck,Lesley

heathercobbett
08-09-2004, 12:16
We provide a full size crib but not a stroller as we have always assumed that you would need a stroller for your journey.We bought a full size crib as none of my children ewould settle in a travelcot;I even bought one to familiarise them but no joy.I am sure our agent could supply a stroller but I have not been asked for one yet
One of the joys of a house, is that they are as individual as the owners and we all have our own ideas of how to furnish and equip them.
Similarly,it is funny what swings you to book a particular villa.We rented on the coast a couple of years ago and went for the house that came wit bikes.The owner subsequently told me that they had cost her the grand total of $15 from a yard sale! However we had imagined biking down the canal paths and of course found you cannot.
I speak as an owner and as one who regularly rents other houses as our house is usually only available for a week.I would love to hear from other renters what made YOU choose one over the rest

huckleberry house
08-09-2004, 12:29
Hi Heather

If you have a look at this thread http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=2882 you will find a lot of posts detailing what renters look for in a rental home.

Interestingly I have Bikes at my home for guests to use and they are very popular, of course it is possible to cycle around the sub-division so they do get used quite a bit.And no I neither got them from a yard sale nor were they $15 just in case anyone is wondering.:D:D

Lesley

carolmc
08-09-2004, 12:33
Of course you should ask about "baby equipment" when you make an enquiry. We do provide cot - full size, baby stroller, high chair, baby alarms, toys etc. and not all of this is mentioned in our listing.
Many Owners do provide similar - and indeed more-equipment so do ask.
Have a wonderful holiday

brizzle
08-09-2004, 12:52
Having travelled with little ones I would say taking a stroller is a good idea anyway even if the villa provides one.
The airport can be a long walk for little legs and it provides a good rest for them (inbound and outbound).

You get to keep the stroller until you board the plane then they take it off you to put in the hold.

Most villa owners either have, or can arrange, baby equipment...just ask. The cot we had last time was a travel cot but it was fine.

Good luck on the planning, it's a lot of fun.

Brizzle

Ray&Sarah
08-09-2004, 13:07
We are planning to add baby equipment to our villa in October when we are there. It is interesting to note that the travel cot variety can be unpopular with infants, think we will go for the normal one. Also were unsure about the pushcahir/stroller as we thought parents were likely to bring their own but maybe they prefer to hir one of these as well. Will have to do a little more research before we dash out and buy anything.[msnsmile2]

heathercobbett
08-09-2004, 13:25
I have thought about putting bikes in our house,Lesley,but my husband is not in favour. However it has brought it to the forefront of my mind again

brizzle
08-09-2004, 14:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Also were unsure about the pushcahir/stroller as we thought parents were likely to bring their own but maybe they prefer to hire one of these as well.[/quote]

Whilst we would bring one for the youngest we would use a villa provided stroller for our 4.5 year old.
She normally doesn't need one but we tend to use one for the parks as they get tired from all the walking especially Epcot!!.

Brizzle

christhear
08-09-2004, 15:08
I would advise that you took a stroller/pushchair with you for your child. We took one for our son when he was almost three due to the long walks at the airports. The only thing that caused a bit of a problem was he was asleep in the stroller when we went through security on departure. They insisted that we got him out of the stroller so that everything could be screened individually - and this was before 9/11.

ctgirlscout
08-09-2004, 16:29
We provide a couple of umbrella strollers. If the villa you choose doesn't have one, they are very inexpensive at the local Wal-Mart--only about $10.

08-09-2004, 16:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We are planning to add baby equipment to our villa in October when we are there. It is interesting to note that the travel cot variety can be unpopular with infants, think we will go for the normal one. Also were unsure about the pushcahir/stroller as we thought parents were likely to bring their own but maybe they prefer to hir one of these as well. Will have to do a little more research before we dash out and buy anything.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I have to admit that none of my babies ever settled in a travel cot, but with a full size crib 12 hours sleep no probs![msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
08-09-2004, 16:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
I have thought about putting bikes in our house,Lesley,but my husband is not in favour. However it has brought it to the forefront of my mind again
[/quote]

Funny I have one just like that as it was something I had thought about to.

mm69340
08-09-2004, 16:58
Hi,

We have lots of babies and I know what you mean about traveling with all that stuff!

I do provide a travel crib, stoller and I am adding next week a baby monitor as well. (This way you can enjoy a dip in the pool while the baby is sleeping!)
Have fun planning your Trip!!

stabard
08-09-2004, 17:59
When we were thinking of stuff for the villa baby equipment was near the top of the list. We have kids and know that the less stuff you have to take with you the better so it was off to the shops for the essentils,monitors and bathseats as well as the usual high chairs/cots/strollers.

mm69340
08-09-2004, 20:39
I forgot to mention- I also supply a bed gate for sleeping. One of my beds is up against a wall- so with the bed gate- it makes it better for the little ones to sleep and not "roll around".

CarolAnn
09-09-2004, 22:38
We had considered bikes too Heather:) As we can't get out until April, we will see? Might be easier to just go and have a real Walmart spend up!! Any excuse[^]

momsbirthdayvacation
10-09-2004, 00:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by carolmc
Of course you should ask about "baby equipment" when you make an enquiry. We do provide cot - full size, baby stroller, high chair, baby alarms, toys etc. and not all of this is mentioned in our listing.
Many Owners do provide similar - and indeed more-equipment so do ask.
Have a wonderful holiday
[/quote]

could you please ellaberate a litte as to what you mean by a "baby cot" is this a full size crib or a little pack and play type of thing thank you so much

huckleberry house
10-09-2004, 00:13
Yes a cot would refer to a full size crib-usually wooden with side rails etc.If the home you like doesnt have one of these there is a company that can provide you with one for a reasonable fee or maybe the owner would consider obtaining it for you, they then erect it into any room of your choice ready for when you arrive.

Cheers, Lesley

jad
11-09-2004, 07:41
I think these cots/cribs come in all sorts of sizes. Ours is wooden and is not a travel cot but does fold up a bit to put in one of our closets. If there is a specific type/ size you require then just ask the owners when you find a short list of villas you are considering. Owners may be able to provide a photo even and can often arrange/ hire a full size one from their Management company if they don't have one themselves

Jackie