PDA

View Full Version : Kissimmee or Orlando

caribcelt
20-09-2002, 23:34
My husband and my parents are going to be in Florida for three weeks in November. We will be staying around the Miami area as that is where we have a house. For one of the weeks, we were thinking of driving up to either Kissimmee or Orlando to show my parents the tourist attractions. We hope to go to Seaworld, Cyprus Gardens, Epcott Centre, Kennedy Space Centre, St. Augustine etc. Where would you advise us to stay for a pretty central location and would you advise us to rent a villa or stay in hotels?. I have noticed the hotel rates are very inexpensive for this time of year.

Also what weather should we expect for mid November?

Any help at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Caribcelt

blott
21-09-2002, 02:47
Hi caribcelt

Well, the places you mentioned are pretty well spread out - the Kennedy Space Center is about an hour's drive from the Orlando area and St. Augustine is about the same or a bit longer. The other places you mention, Epcot Center and Sea World are pretty close to most of the homes on this site as most of them are within a maximum of 15 mins drive away from Disney. Cypress Gardens is south of Orlando but nearer to Kissimmee.

So it really depends what you're looking for - do you want a private pool or are you happy to share one? Do you want your own cooking facilities and plenty of space to spread out or will a couple of hotel rooms do? I've added a comment from one of our guests which might help you make up your mind: '...it was like home from home but with the added bonus of being by the pool and enjoying Florida. I would not consider spending my time in a hotel after seeing the difference of staying in a villa. The privacy, space and security all adds to it.'

By the way, November is low season for rental homes too so my advice would be to make a request and get some prices before you decide.

The weather in November is usually fine and relatively dry. The temperature is normally around the 80F mark and it's an excellent time of the year to visit Florida.

Blott

esprit
21-09-2002, 02:56
If you want to stay in a villa for the increased space and comfort they provide, most of the villas are in Kissimmee. There are virtually no short term rental properties in Orlando itself. You can get everywhere pretty easily from Kissimmee using 1-4.
As you will be travelling with your parents, you would preumably need two hotel rooms and you could find that in November, which is low season, it would be cheaper to hire a 3 bed villa than two hotel rooms. The weather is very nice in November though the nights can be a bit chilly and you may need the pool water heating.

Julie Carty

Lizzie
21-09-2002, 14:31
Hi caribcelt
Although most accomodation is lower priced in Nov, I would definately go for a villa. I cannot believe that we used to rent a hotel room for 2 adults and 2 kids, all crammed in 1 room with the youngest on rollaway. Most villas have 2-3bathrooms as well so there is plenty of privacy, plus if you are out most of the day you can still use the pool late evening, whereas in a hotel complex it will probably be closed at 8pm.

Liz

caribcelt
24-09-2002, 01:47
Thanks for all your comments and advice.

You all have convinced us. We will rent a villa, probably in Kissimmee, for about 5 or 6 nights and use it as our base to see some of the attractions.

Although I have never rented a villa, I think the pros outweigh the cons. (Although I can not think of many cons). When on holiday you do not want to have to get up early in order that you do not miss breakfast or be bothered by maids coming in when you are not ready to leave.

We want a relaxing holiday, home from home as someone else put it. Although we all enjoy eating out, it can get very expensive for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it will be so nice for my husband and I to cook a really nice meal for my parents and sit round a table and chat at our leisure. When you do not see people often, the kitchen and dining room is where you have the best chats.

I feel that coming home from our day adventures in Florida and sitting in a hotel room will not be quite the same as sitting in a lounge or family room.

Thanks again for your advice.

Caribcelt

orlandobabe
24-09-2002, 16:49
Can I just mention a word about St Augustine-seeing as you have had such good advice from everyone re villa vs hotel and Orlando vs Kissimmee.
You might hear announcements on Orlando's TIR radio that it's about an hour and a half to St Augustine-well from west Kissimmee it took us 3 hours-so much longer than we expected.

Also-don't expect it to be like Orlando where everything -shops and attractions are open till late. St Augustine is very much a 9 till 5 sort of place.

Having said that it is a beautiful place-with a very strong Spanish influence. We ate in the Columbia restaurant in the pedestrianised area of the town-and that was fabulous. Sadly though by the time we had got there, eaten, been round a few shops-everything was closing.

So if you plan to go just for the day-make an early start-or better still to make the most of your visit-it might be a good idea to plan an overnight stay.

Hope you don't mind me mentioning this-as we were so disappointed as we were just making plans to go onto the little tourist train-when we realised that he had just made the last trip of the day -at 4-30pm!!!!

Orlandobabe

bellaepovera
24-09-2002, 17:12
I have friends that have a 1 bedroom condo and a couch that opens up in St.Augustine and asking price per week over $700. True its on the beach but very expensive place to stay...

patti pacienza