PDA

View Full Version : The Plumbing...

blott
20-09-2002, 18:01
The waste pipes in USA are much smaller than those in the UK so be careful what you put down them!

Anything other than normal use and US toilet paper may block your pipes, although this can usually be cleared with the plunger available in most homes. If not, you could be charged a call out fee to repair the blocked pipes if you have put anything else into the waste pipes so be careful what you dispose of and where.

Blott

esprit
20-09-2002, 18:48
Blocked loos are a constant problem. It is not just the size of the pipes, there seems to be less water on every flush ( perhaps it is water conservation in view of the constant draught situation?) Anyway, anything more than a nominal amount of loo roll blocks Floridian loos. I have a notice in my home pointing to the guests using the plunger provided themselves if the loo blocks up due to "extras" being put down it. There is a $30 charge if my management company have to come and unblock. Management co refer to this on my accounts by the way as "snake out toilet". The first time I read that, I had a real shock. Apparently the snake is the thing you use to unblock it not what they extracted from it!!!

Julie Carty

blott
20-09-2002, 22:22
$30 is a not unreasonable charge but some management companies charge more than that and I think that $75 is not unheard of! Some unblock once free and then charge you if you manage to do it a second time by putting something unusual down the pipes, ie disposable nappies/diapers, etc and some charge on the first visit.

Even more reason to be careful with what goes down the pipes, particularly if you know there's a smaller flush system as well as smaller drain pipes!

Blott

chrizzy100
26-08-2003, 20:28
quote:Originally posted by blott

$30 is a not unreasonable charge but some management companies charge more than that and I think that $75 is not unheard of! Some unblock once free and then charge you if you manage to do it a second time by putting something unusual down the pipes, ie disposable nappies/diapers, etc and some charge on the first visit.

Even more reason to be careful with what goes down the pipes, particularly if you know there's a smaller flush system as well as smaller drain pipes!

Blott

Edited by - blott on 20/09/2002 18:23:40

I only just saw this subject... Plumbing......is my pet hate about living in the USA.....its bad everywhere......so the electrics come to think of it ...so I have 2 pets hates.....hehehehehehehe

drifting
15-02-2004, 18:03
Well I think the rental home owners should foot the bill! It is patently obvious that us poor brits will come to the states and stuff ourselves stupid! Thus standing every chance of blocking the aformentioned, with the aforementioned.:D

Kidding really.. But we had fun and games with one rental, it only took one tissue to block that loo.

Drift.

Carla
15-02-2004, 18:27
Touch wood, I've never done it yet. However in order to make sure of that you have to use the cheap, flimsy loo paper that you buy in the shops over there. Don't take the lovely, soft and thick UK stuff with you - it's almost guaranteed to block the loos!!

My builder, on our walk through just before it was finally ours, suggested that I told my guests to flush the "solids" first, then use the paper, and then "flush" again!! He was serious.
:D:D:D

I don't tell my guests to "double-flush", however I do have warnings in all the toilets.

Don't put tissues designed for noses, down the loo, either. Too thick!!!

steph_goodrum
15-02-2004, 18:47
"Don't put tissues designed for noses, down the loo, either. Too thick!!!"

Also scientifically designed differently Carla. Toilet tissue is designed to disintegrate when wet but facial tissues (and kitchen) are designed to absorb water without falling apart when used. (Well in theory anyway):D:D

esprit
15-02-2004, 22:17
Blocked loos are a constant problem. Absolutely anything will block a loo in Florida. The easiest way is if the homeowner puts a plunger in each loo and a sign saying if you block it unblock it using this. That is all the man co does and if there is a call out, the man co will have to add travel time ( tell me about it!) on for a job which takes 30 seconds hence the $30 fee bit.

chrizzy100
15-02-2004, 22:23
quote:Originally posted by Carla

Touch wood, I've never done it yet. However in order to make sure of that you have to use the cheap, flimsy loo paper that you buy in the shops over there. Don't take the lovely, soft and thick UK stuff with you - it's almost guaranteed to block the loos!!

My builder, on our walk through just before it was finally ours, suggested that I told my guests to flush the "solids" first, then use the paper, and then "flush" again!! He was serious.

I don't tell my guests to "double-flush", however I do have warnings in all the toilets.

Don't put tissues designed for noses, down the loo, either. Too thick!!!

We had our builder use a toilet snake on our house..you get back up in a lot of new builds because of the cr** put down them by the guys building.......
I hate USA plumbing.....you may find its better to use the wet ones toilet paper..its cleaner.. you use less....and it flushes away easy...I learnt that after years of US loos......[msneek]

esprit
15-02-2004, 22:55
Dont use the word toilet and snake in one breath to someone who has travelled extensively in the Far East, Steph!! We had the same problem in the UK with a new build also so thats not just Florida. It was builders rubble down ours.

bridget
20-04-2004, 20:31
I remember my mum going absolutely nuts at me for blocking the toilet in the villa we rented. I didn't do it on purpose - honest! :) I started panicking when I put the toilet seat down, flushed and all the water came pouring over the brim! Not like our loos at all!

Ray&Sarah
21-04-2004, 03:47
OUr son has managed to block the loo every time we have been to Florida, it doesn't matter how many times we tell him about not using so much paper. In fact our holiday it wouldn't be complete now without him blocking the loo.:D

ujpest doza
03-06-2004, 21:13
This is something that had not happened to me prior to my recent visit.
On 5 previous visits the plumbing has always seemed okay.
On this occasion i blocked the toilet the first time i used it and on at least another half a dozen times after that.
The toilet paper we had was only 1 ply thin stuff, its nice to come home to 4 ply soft stuff again.

On this revolting subject, i also hate the automatic flush toilets that most shops and shopping malls have. You stand up/move to wipe and the toilet flushes but then doesn't b***** flush afterwards and the toilet is left with paper in it for the next person.

chrizzy100
03-06-2004, 21:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
This is something that had not happened to me prior to my recent visit.
On 5 previous visits the plumbing has always seemed okay.
On this occasion i blocked the toilet the first time i used it and on at least another half a dozen times after that.
The toilet paper we had was only 1 ply thin stuff, its nice to come home to 4 ply soft stuff again.

On this revolting subject, i also hate the automatic flush toilets that most shops and shopping malls have. You stand up/move to wipe and the toilet flushes but then doesn't bloody flush afterwards and the toilet is left with paper in it for the next person.

[/quote]

With the autos....there is a little button you can press yourself....its on the crome plate where the red auto light is most of the time.....

Nostromo
03-06-2004, 22:51
Thank goodness that I had read this thread before going on our recent holiday! I remembered the warning and put a note in all 3 loos for people using to take extra care to put only loo paper and nothing else. Fortunately, we had no problems, but it did appear that the flushing pressure was rather less than what we are used to in the UK.