PDA

View Full Version : Christmas. Best time to go or not?

CarolAnn
04-09-2004, 15:04
I was just curious as to whether people who have been to Disney etc for the Christmas period, have also been at other times, and would rate the Christmas period above those times[?]:)

brizzle
04-09-2004, 15:19
Not been for the actual Christmas holiday but I have been the first two weeks of December a few times and I love it. In fact I think it's my favourite time to be over in Florida.

The weather, whilst a little cooler, is still warm (chilly at night time).
The parks, and surrounding areas, are all decorated and there's loads of Christmas things going on.
It's also a quiet time so it is a more relaxed atmosphere in my opinion and seeing a lot of the parks is easy.

Obviously a week or so later the holiday season kicks in properly and then it get's busy but I'm sure it's fantastic.

Brizzle

chrisj
04-09-2004, 16:13
We went for the whole of christmas once, it was brilliant and id say even better than the
rest of the year. As above the weather is easier to cope with and the parks are really
done up nice

blott
04-09-2004, 16:14
It's a wonderful time to be in Florida. If you visit from just before Thanksgiving to the first weekend in January, everywhere is literally dripping with decorations that the Americans are so good at doing. It really is a very special time of the year to be in Florida (roll on our five weeks there then!).

Ray&Sarah
04-09-2004, 19:29
We enjoyed our Christmas in Florida last year. Some of the communities look absolutely beautful with all their decorations up, Celebration was fantastic as so many people had made an effort.

The weather was nice, not hot but just warm enough for shorts, although the builders on our site must have thought it was cold as they had coats and woolly hats on.[msnsmile2]

esprit
04-09-2004, 20:55
The decorations are brilliant. I can be chilly especially at nights. Some nights you will need a coat. Too cold also really to do any of the water rides at the parks or you will never dry out and get the chills at night.

christhear
09-09-2004, 23:38
We went just before Christmas last year, 3rd Dec - 20th. Getting round the theme parks was easy, but you defineately needed a coat if staying after the sun goes down (about 5pm). Noticed a huge rise in visitor numbers the weekend before we went home - even Seaworld was packed. We are going for Christmas this year but have decided not to do the big theme parks as don't think my seven year old could put up wwith the queues. Going to do Busch gardens, Space centre, Gatorland this time.

brizzle
10-09-2004, 00:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Too cold also really to do any of the water rides at the parks or you will never dry out and get the chills at night.[/quote]

That's another use for those wonderfully fashionable poncho's :)
I did splash mountain last December and it was a warm enough day for me to do it non-poncho...

Brizzle

chrizzy100
10-09-2004, 01:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
The decorations are brilliant. I can be chilly especially at nights. Some nights you will need a coat. Too cold also really to do any of the water rides at the parks or you will never dry out and get the chills at night.
[/quote]

we always do the water rides at Christmas......us from up North don't feel the cold.......you lot down there put hats and coats on if it goes below 59.......

I love Christmas in FL......its the best time to go..........:D:D

Jill
10-09-2004, 02:14
We did all 3 big water rides at Universal on Christmas Eve last year - mad or not. Yes we got soaked but it was warm enough that we did dry out. Did decide that next time we do these rides at Christmas we will take spare dry clothes as it did take a while to dry off. Chistmas is a great time to be in Florida we love it.

amy
10-09-2004, 03:04
Christmas is a graet time to go they decorate all the parks really well, the locals complain it is cold......we where in TL and the cast members where dressed for an artic expidition, laughing at us..........it was cetainly warmer than the UK summer:)

rosie
10-09-2004, 04:37
I'll have to let you know in Jan as this will be our first Xmas there :) Even our 17 year old "Kevin" is excited, and that alone is priceless ;):D;)

LiesaAnna
10-09-2004, 11:31
we went 1st- 15th dec 02 ok so the weather was a bit cooler but still not cold (i will get photos on gallery soon, still vest tops!)
no queuing on rides, i went on splash mountain, congo river rapids got wet but dried quite quickly,
it was perfect for the pool at the villa good playing in the pool but not chilled when getting out except 10 -11 pm you noticed it and had to go inside pretty quick,
the communities were all decorated so pretty you know what the americans are like!!!! remember national lampoons christmas vacation!!! and home alone films?????
we think its the best time to go we are going again this year same time!!!!!! and cannot wait
Liesa

dbrook
10-09-2004, 12:05
Like Rosie this will be our first Christmas in Orlando (18th Dec - 1st Jan). We are all very excited and will report back as to whether we think it is the best time to go in January:D

CarolAnn
10-09-2004, 12:45
Thanks for all the replies:)Put Christmas in Florida on my ever growing, TO DO LIST :):D:)[8D]

bilbo
15-09-2004, 20:22
It will be my first Christmas in Florida with my wife and new baby Daughter,we are staying at our new home at Southern Dunes and from what you are saying i can pack my shorts now.

timfawson
15-09-2004, 21:27
We went Dec-26th-Jan 9th last year. It is a great time of year to go not too hot and as for the decorations well what can I say ? We went with the my parents and it was like having 4 children with us not just the two that we are used to!!

CERICROWLEY
17-09-2004, 12:06
We've been to Florida three times at Christmas once in February One in May Once in October for Haloween and Once in July & August.

Christmas love it for the decoration, festive spirit, not doing xmas with the inlaws, and not cooking xmas dinner. The days are warm, we found that we did need to take a towel and dry clothes after the water rides, as you don't dry as quickly as the summer, but lets face it who wants stay home in the miserable rain at home.

February was warm:)humidity started to creep in got some overcast days with humidity next day very clear but a couple of degrees cooler.

May was lovely warm and no queue, got some great offers on annual passes for parks as this is a quiet season for them.

October was lovely and warm again with hurrican season over no more thunder storms.

July and August, Roasted, very hot but you do get cooled down with the thunderstorms and you will get them everyday. although we were very lucky for the first 10 days we wer there no rain at all, made up for it after that, Hurrican Charley came, but being used to the wind and rain back home, no problem, went to Universal the morning that Charley hit as it was open til 2.00pm

We still go out at Christmas though, funny you tend to relax more when you haven't got to cook and look after the family coming round for dinner.

Ceri