PDA

View Full Version : Checking out of your rental villa.

Cruella DeVilla
02-09-2004, 01:08
Can I ask a question out of general intrest? It is regarding stripping beds, putting washing machines on etc before you leave as the cleaners have a very short time inbetween guests to turn around the villas. I have my own thoughts on the matter which I won't divulge yet until I see the general opinion. For those that have stayed in Villas before be interested to hear your experiences.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-09-2004, 01:14
Can't see the problem with putting the things into the washing machine myself. If the house is on a back to back booking with guests out at 11am and the next arriving at 4pm then it's the only way they will get done in time as the cleaners will have more than one house like that to do that day and will not have time.

Of course, if guests do not want to do this then we would have to send the cleaners in before they check out to make sure it is all done in time for the next guests arrival or we'd have to insist on a 10am or 9am checkout which we do not want to start doing.

I have to say we have never had a problem with ANY of our guests in our villas putting the washing on.

Magical Dreams
02-09-2004, 01:16
We think you should lead by example and do it!!

You would not want to turn up at a villa and find that the cleaners are just on their way out!

It may just be us, but even if not asked we would do it out of politeness!

Obviously it is different when you own your own villa, you really need it to be done to help out the next guests and the cleaners.

This will be an interesting one!! [msncry]

chrizzy100
02-09-2004, 01:20
If I wanted to be waited on.........I'd book a hotel room.....if you think about it......if you're staying 2 weeks..you would of washed the sheets once anyway.....if not more in the hot sticky weather......so why should it be any trouble putting them in the washer one more time........?

chrisj
02-09-2004, 01:30
We saw no problem with being asked to do this, We even spend the last day tidying up and
doing the hoovering, mind you this year with no power we couldnt do much tidying up, and
I even apologised to the owner on the phone before we left.

I see nothing wrong with being asked to do this, and as Chrizzy has said, you have more than
likely washed the bed sheets during your stay anyway, and to be honest it only takes a few
minutes to put the washing machine and dishwasher on

huckleberry house
02-09-2004, 01:31
A lot of rental homes in other areas of US dont even provide you with linen or towels so I really cant see that guests would have a problem with placing the first loads in the washer, at least my guests certainly never have.

Lesley

dolphinv
02-09-2004, 01:49
We have stayed in villas twice before we bought one. we never had a problem putting on a wash, we did towels and our own stuff during the week, put on a wash the night before and had one in dryer and one in washer when walking out the door.

fllion
02-09-2004, 01:53
As the owner of a cleaning company,we clean for some members of this forum ,you would be surprised ,on how people leave a villa after there vacation ,some guests wash the bedding & towels for you and leave a note telling you what as been done and what has not ,others leave the villas like a pig stye .this past summer a owner left there villa looking like a bomb site .some weekends we may have 25-40 cleans to complete ,so yes it would be nice if guest's did put a cycle of washing on for us.Some guests out look is, that they pay there money ,and know that someone else will clean up after them

when you have a back2back booking and only 4hrs to clean the house
plus say 5 others as well ,,yes a little help with a load of washing would help a great deal

Ray&Sarah
02-09-2004, 02:22
We stayed at villas before we owned one and didn't mind at all putting the washing on, even cleaned the place before we left. :D

huckleberry house
02-09-2004, 02:30
Interesting that the two people who have voted that they wouldnt do it or think it is the owners responsibility havent posted their reasons why or any comments.

Lesley

anna maria freak
02-09-2004, 03:24
We certainly have no problems in putting linen in machine,be it hotel or villa we always tidy up ,strip beds etc. My mother was a cleaner and believe me she appreciated any help she got :)

Lorraine

Cruella DeVilla
02-09-2004, 11:17
Thought this would be the general opinion but it is interesting to see it is mostly owners who say they would not mind. Presuming guests feel the same???

chrisj
02-09-2004, 11:54
im a guest, well i was and we dont mind, but i take on board what you have said that
some people have the opinion its covered by what they pay in rental,

Jill
02-09-2004, 12:22
Before we owned our villa we stayed in villas and we always started the washing before we left. As already mentioned it is not a hotel but self catering. If sheets and towels were not supplied we would have to take them home and wash them it is not as though we were asked to iron them and put them back on the beds!

Chrisj we have had several people stay in our villa who have done the same as you before leaving and I certainly appreciate people like you who make life a bit easier for the cleaners and take care of my home.

chrisj
02-09-2004, 12:31
Thanks Jill

The way I look at it is, you have paid thousands for a house, spent thousands putting in
furniture etc and then trusted it to me and my family for a few weeks. I think the least
we could do is respect the property and treat it how we would want our own home treated.

MaggieAllan
02-09-2004, 12:34
I'm a guest and we always put as many loads as poss on before we leave, and separate remaining dirty laundry into coloured/whites/towels etc. close by the washing machine.

We think it is only courteous and having found the home in excellent order when we arrived, think we should help do the same for the next guests.

I always feel sorry that I haven't managed to do ALL the laundry, but inevitably you are tied for time to do all the bed linen in 4 bedroom villa on the last morning - and everyone wants to have that last dip in the pool - although we try to encourage everyone to use towels we have brought with us for that last swim, and pack them in our own dirty laundry suitcase.

'Sandpiper Retreat' you can rest easy that even with a New Years Eve hangover , your guest will respect your property and the washer will be on!

It might be a bit 'sad' but I quite enjoy using the American machines whilst away, and it is not as much of a chore somehow. On the last few days I try to wash some of our own clothes so that I haven't got as much when we get home.

And, we always leave our leftover washing tablets, dishwasher tablets, washing up liqid etc, as we have always found supplies on our arrival.

blott
02-09-2004, 14:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Thought this would be the general opinion but it is interesting to see it is mostly owners who say they would not mind. Presuming guests feel the same???
[/quote]I too used to be a guest before becoming a villa owner and we've always stripped beds (we even do this in the hotels we used to stay in before we found villas!), washed and dried towels, etc as a matter of courtesy to the owners. And, like in hotels, we always left a tip for the maid too for making the place look so nice when we arrived and cleaning up the rest of the place after we've left.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-09-2004, 14:32
We're the same as Blottie. It's hardly a big hassle to do and we felt it was the least we could do to help out given the owner had let us stay in their beautiful villa.

We've had a lot of guests in our villas (we always end up fully booked) and we explain about putting the sheets / towels on and not one has said anything other than it's the least they can do.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]I too used to be a guest before becoming a villa owner and we've always stripped beds (we even do this in the hotels we used to stay in before we found villas!), washed and dried towels, etc as a matter of courtesy to the owners. And, like in hotels, we always left a tip for the maid too for making the place look so nice when we arrived and cleaning up the rest of the place after we've left.
[/quote]

chrisj
02-09-2004, 14:36
:D oops hope I ticked the right box then

Cheshirecat
02-09-2004, 16:25
I'm a guest not an owner and don't have a problem with it at all.

We went a couple of years ago and only used 2 of the 4 bedroom so we left the beds untouched and didn't bother doing those as it seems like a waste of water etc. You could tell they hadn't been touched though. Immaculate as the day we arrived.

thistle1314
02-09-2004, 18:09
I've always been a quest so I've always stripped the beds and put them on and have them dried and folded for ironing before I leave. Then I put on the towels that we used showering that morning and hope they're ready for the drier before we leave. I usually leave the washing powder, dishwasher liquid that I bought too. Like someone posted above. If we dont use one of the bedroom / bathrooms then I leave a note for the cleaner to say that its never been used - although its very obvious but I wouldn't want her to be doing unncessary cleaning. My Mum used to be a clean so I know how hard she had to work. I normally run round with a hoover and brush the bathrooms floors too.

Really is it not just common practise to wash the bed linen etc before you leave. I cant think of a reason not to do this. :)

SunLover
02-09-2004, 19:16
We explain it to guests in terms of it being courteous to those following them, in the same way that the guests previous to them, by stripping the beds etc. allowed our cleaning crew the time to prepare the villa prior to their arrival.

We have never had any complaints, and a lot of guests do vacuum the place too :)

Cruella DeVilla
02-09-2004, 20:26
All music to my ears!

eagleydo
02-09-2004, 20:35
I always wash sheets, towels etc. before I leave and place in tumble dryer as well. This is how things should be, I have rented a lovely home and am only too happy to do these small things before leaving. Always wash the last of the dishes as well. Common practise to leave behind soap powder, dishwasher powder, bags, toilet roll. Surely everyone does the same? Every villa I have rented has always had a few essentials left behind to get you started before you go shopping.

Cruella DeVilla
02-09-2004, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
I always wash sheets, towels etc. before I leave and place in tumble dryer as well. This is how things should be, I have rented a lovely home and am only too happy to do these small things before leaving. Always wash the last of the dishes as well. Common practise to leave behind soap powder, dishwasher powder, bags, toilet roll. Surely everyone does the same? Every villa I have rented has always had a few essentials left behind to get you started before you go shopping.
[/quote]

Not everyone is as tidy, I have heard some horror stories. One owner on here had holes knocked in her walls and pool trahed etc etc. BAD!

Nostromo
02-09-2004, 21:49
Out caretakers said we did NOT have to do it, but we cleaned-up the house, hoovered the carpet and washed/dried all the linen. I think it is common decency to do so when someone has trusted us with their house.

jolliffee
02-09-2004, 22:34
We always treated the villa like our own home; no problem stripping the beds and starting the washing machine Pamela is a expert!

KirstieLou
03-09-2004, 17:24
I really don't see a problem in stripping the beds and putting the washing in. Done it 3 times now and will do it again in 2 weeks!

Have you seen the size of the villas?[:0] I wouldn't like to have to clean them :D:D:D:D

Cruella DeVilla
03-09-2004, 18:57
Try paying for them!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisj
03-09-2004, 19:03
Compared to prices in the UK, they are a very good price :)

Pluto
06-09-2004, 01:46
I'm a guest (well will be!) and I don't have any problem whatsoever with putting the sheets and towels in the washing machine. It only take a couple of minutes. Hopefully everything will then be washed and dried by the time the cleaners come in.

CarolAnn
08-09-2004, 11:41
Opinions are divided on this too then? I can only hope the guests we get are the sensible and courteous ones! I would be MORE than happy to make sure things were tidy and beds stripped :)We have stayed in at Disney in the past, in a 2 week stay, the bed only gets changed once, they are not in the studio room more than twice, and you pay BIG money for that in comparison to the luxury of a villa, with it's own pool!!! No biggy is it to be respectful? [?]

LiesaAnna
08-09-2004, 18:08
I would just like to add my thoughts on this one!
we always leave a place where ever we holiday as we would expect to find it, in florida i stripped all the beds washed dried cleaned and put any leftover unopened food neatly on the worktop, i have also left a note thanking the cleaners for taking care of the villa (even tho'its not ours), many years ago i was a chambermaid in a few hotels in Brighton and worthing, and always remember when people left the place clean how much i appreciated it, when you have 30 rooms to clean (butlins) from 10.30am till 3pm when the holidaymakers were let in their rooms, we appreciate the villa owners letting us use their homes for our holidays so the least we can do is RESPECT IT!!!
Liesa

Cruella DeVilla
08-09-2004, 18:18
:D. Just out of curiousity does anyone ever leave a tip for the cleaners, or is this not apt, or maybe get them in mid stay?

Nostromo
08-09-2004, 18:28
:D. Just out of curiousity does anyone ever leave a tip for the cleaners, or is this not apt, or maybe get them in mid stay?
[/quote]

We thought leaving money might be considered inappropriate and so left a couple of bottles of wine, soft drinks and some confectionery.

chrisj
08-09-2004, 18:34
[/quote]

We havent, but then we have always cleaned and tidied up before we
have left, and im sure there would have been hardly anything for
the cleaners to do to be honest.

LiesaAnna
08-09-2004, 19:22
we left loose change on the side, didnt know if we should tip or not left a few dollars of loose coins, along with unused bread, pop tarts,and other stuff that i couldnt remember, hope i didnt offend anyone but didnt like to throw away, thought they could if they didnt want it only left it if it was NEW,

linda.s
08-09-2004, 20:05
Hmmmm, well I guess my view may be very slightly different! I have voted that I have no problem with putting on the washing etc, as I don't, but I think it depends where you stay! This trip we will be spending time in our timeshare condo, and the expectation is to leave everything for the cleaners to take care of (by everything I mean sheet/towel washing) I would certainly make sure that the condo is tidy and clean, and the bedding would be folded ready for them to take away, but that is a different scenario. Same as a hotel. You are paying for the sheets to be cleaned, and they are "generic" sheets etc, so the would be replaced from a large stock, not the owners own things. I stay away regularly for work purposes, and I always leave the room tidy, apart from the bed! Certainly if I were renting from this site, (or any other private villa) I would leave as I expected to find.
I always leave any excess change, and any usable goods behind for the cleaners to take or dispose of as they see fit. (again, I don't mean any old rubbish, only decent stuff that can be used, and wouldn't seem inappropriate.)

porky
08-09-2004, 20:56
Hi Linda,
Whenever we stayed in timeshare resorts in Florida part of the rules were top strip the beds and put them and the sheets in to wash and set the dishwasher going. Because this had become ingrained in me I continued to do this when I rented villas.

Jacqui

E. Cosgrove
08-09-2004, 20:58
I am all for asking the guests to place washing in the machine etc. I did it as a villa guest and will be asking my guests...politely ...to do the same. The only alternative when you have back to back bookings would be for the cleaners to arrive early/ leave late OR for the laundry to be taken away and done elsewhere which I certainly would not want!!!!

jolliffee
08-09-2004, 23:31
Liz that would increase costs, you'd need extra everything and it would cost more too![msnsad]

E. Cosgrove
09-09-2004, 00:51
My point exactly, also i wouldn't want to "lose sight of it"

AndyC
09-09-2004, 01:53
The general census does appear to be in favour of the cleaners, and not that we are any different, having been recent guests of an owner who advertises on this site we also stripped the beds, washed/dried all 28 towels but only some of the sheets as we ran out of powder (oops) although we we never once asked to do this but thought it was the right thing to do.

However, not sure it it would have effected my choice of villa if we knew that we expected to do it all before actually paying the deposit, please dont think I'm being different just trying to be honest, also if it were booked as part of a package holiday and we were asked may have some effect.

We done it because we understand the difficulties and personnally liked to clean up after ourselves.

From the previous posts there does appear to be a particular problem identified in the time to wash and dry all towels and sheets within the 4/5 hour turn around, has anyone thought of using an extra set of towels and linen and having them all prepared washed and ironed for the turn around and take the soiled away giving for washing ready for the next turnaround, yes there will be a cost implication for the extra set but I could imagine this being a great little time-saver, do american laundrettes do service washes.

This is only a thought and something that I would seriously consider if I were fortunate to own lovely property like these.

In fact there is talk that the wife wants to take me back out there as it appears to be the only place where I can use the vacuum or operate the cooker or even the washer/dryer.......cheeky mere:D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-09-2004, 02:04
I personally would not let my linen and towels out of the villa as I'm sure they would stand a good chance of getting mixed up with someone else's things and end up in another villa. The bedding alone in our 3 bed cost an absolute fortune as we went for luxurious, very well wearing linen. Would you let something that cost well in excess of $1000 out of your house?

With our 7 bed houses, it takes in excess of 4 hours on EVERY clean and that's just for the clean itself. With a same day changeover (which most are) there is only a 5 hour window between one guest leaving and the next arriving so there just is not any spare time at all.

AndyC
09-09-2004, 02:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I personally would not let my linen and towels out of the villa as I'm sure they would stand a good chance of getting mixed up with someone else's things and end up in another villa. The bedding alone cost an absolute fortune as we went for luxurious, very well wearing linen. Would you let something that cost well in excess of $1000 out of your house?
[/quote]

Point taken John:):), it was just a thought having read the previous posts......occasionally I'm on to a winner [msnembarrased]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-09-2004, 02:12
[msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AndyC
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I personally would not let my linen and towels out of the villa as I'm sure they would stand a good chance of getting mixed up with someone else's things and end up in another villa. The bedding alone cost an absolute fortune as we went for luxurious, very well wearing linen. Would you let something that cost well in excess of $1000 out of your house?
[/quote]

Point taken John:):), it was just a thought having read the previous posts......occasionally I'm on to a winner [msnembarrased]
[/quote]

AndyC
09-09-2004, 02:12
Wow...John that was wierd...did you change your post slightly I must have relied to your old just as you revisited yours:):)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-09-2004, 02:17
Nothing of any significance as far as I recall.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AndyC
Wow...John that was wierd...did you change your post slightly I must have relied to your old just as you revisited yours:):)
[/quote]

Cruella DeVilla
09-09-2004, 15:31
Agree with John about the bedding and towels leaving the properties it was something we had thought about. We have spare sets for all ours and masses of towels but would still not want them leaving the villa for the very reaosn John mentioned.

fllion
11-09-2004, 16:23
With regards to towels & bedding being taken away from villas
#1 do your MC use outside Cleaners
#2 would you know if the bedding & towels was taken away and cleaned
#3 As some one who AS A CLEANING COMPANY ,who works with a few select MC ,we sometimes take bedding away and wash it at home ,just to make sure your villa is ready for next arrivals ,Time is not on our side sometimes 3-4 hrs turnaround ,and if villas are left dirty & trashed ,then you might understand why Cleaners need to take Bedding & towels away

Carla
11-09-2004, 17:18
On many occasions my cleaners can only tell that guests have even been in my home because of the neat piles of laundered sheets, pillowcases and towels on the various beds!!!! Doing the laundry, as much as you can in the time, and possibly putting your trash into the outside bins, and even starting the dishwasher, is a wonderful help. :D:D:D

Please folks, don't waste your last few precious hours of holiday actually cleaning or vacuuming, as the cleaners will redo it all. They like to get the carpet stripes right!! You should be out by the pool, swimming and/or relaxing. :D:D:D

We never come home with dirty clothes in our suitcase and make sure that all of our own laundry has been weashed and dried, the night before. That is one of the wonderful advantages of staying in a villa - you never have to put on loads of washing when you get back home. :D:D:D

It's the towels that generally take the longest to dry. I know that my MC has had to take towels back to her own home and wash and dry them for other owners, especially if almost all of them have been used and just left for the cleaners. Fortunately this is very rare.

We get round this by washing all used towels the night before we leave, and then we only have those that we used for showers on our departure morning to wash.

Linicia
16-09-2004, 19:35
When we were out in March we stayed in a villa managed by the company we are thinking of using ourselves. They have a hotel type laundry system so we knew it was pointless washing the sheets and towels before we left (there were only two of us anyway and only using one bedroom and bathroom I don't feel too guilty).

One thing that did bug me was there were no cleaning materials at all. No sweeping brush, dishcloths, detergent of any type etc. We bought some to use and fortunatly had brought some of my own washing powder with me as I am allergic to most kinds. When the cleaners came in at the end of our stay, I mentioned that I was leaving the dishwashing detergent and other cleaning materials for the next guests but was informed that the cleaners always take whatever is left and add it to their supplies. It may seem rather petty but I object to having to spend holiday money on cleaning materials for the cleaners to use. I would have no problem at all if there had been a small supply to get us started and then would have been happy to replenish and leave for next guest.

Having cleaning materials in our villa (when it's built) is certainly something I will try to organise as I know if it would encourage me to clean up as I go then most other guests would feel the same way.

Back to the original question, I have no problem stripping beds (always do this anyway) and would have no problem washing them and the towels if the owner's MC used this system.

Linicia

poet123
16-09-2004, 20:38
We stayed in a villa for the first time this year and for the first week were asked to strip and wash sheets. We had no problem with this, all the towels aside from one each were washed and dried the night before. Sheets were done in 2 loads and were washed and dried by 7.30 am when we left for the gulf.
Having 3 boys I always clean the toilets! enough said,Horrible job and I could not leave without doing it
The second week we were not asked to do it but I did because it is no trouble and I have always stripped beds even in a hotel.

huckleberry house
16-09-2004, 20:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linicia
When we were out in March we stayed in a villa managed by the company we are thinking of using ourselves. They have a hotel type laundry system so we knew it was pointless washing the sheets and towels before we left (there were only two of us anyway and only using one bedroom and bathroom I don't feel too guilty).

One thing that did bug me was there were no cleaning materials at all. No sweeping brush, dishcloths, detergent of any type etc. We bought some to use and fortunatly had brought some of my own washing powder with me as I am allergic to most kinds. When the cleaners came in at the end of our stay, I mentioned that I was leaving the dishwashing detergent and other cleaning materials for the next guests but was informed that the cleaners always take whatever is left and add it to their supplies. It may seem rather petty but I object to having to spend holiday money on cleaning materials for the cleaners to use. I would have no problem at all if there had been a small supply to get us started and then would have been happy to replenish and leave for next guest.

Having cleaning materials in our villa (when it's built) is certainly something I will try to organise as I know if it would encourage me to clean up as I go then most other guests would feel the same way.

Back to the original question, I have no problem stripping beds (always do this anyway) and would have no problem washing them and the towels if the owner's MC used this system.

Linicia
[/quote]

Hi Lincinia

You will find that is because of the security issues with leaving dangerous chemicals behind in case a guest or child misuses them, most owners are not prepared to take the chance and even if they are their management companies wont. The risks are just too great unfortunately.

Lesley

tam
19-09-2004, 02:59
We have stayed in 5 villas so far, and always clean, hoover and do all the washing. We have never had a problem doing this. Apart from our last villa in Bass lakes all have been lovely. When you stay in a lovely villa its no hardship to leave it as you found it.

traceya89
19-09-2004, 05:04
i think it is only courtesy to strip beds and do as much as possible to tidy up the house before you leave. however, if you were told to do this then it may just sound a bit cheeky especially in view of the cost for the villa, but generally i think most people who come to florida are obviously clean decent people who are grateful for the good condition of the villas and good manners mean you tidy up and help as much as possible before leaving the villa.

Nostromo
19-09-2004, 13:02
I personally would not let my linen and towels out of the villa as I'm sure they would stand a good chance of getting mixed up with someone else's things. [/quote]

True and this is not just with checking out. When travelled recently, we had followed the owner's advice and taken our own beach towels, which we used to take with us to the Water Parks. The problem was that our beach towels were white and very similar to the ones supplied at the villa in Orange Tree; so we had to be extra careful to keep ours separately and not accidentally take the villa towels out to the Water Parks.

randyj
10-03-2010, 16:29
After each year we stay we always strip the beds that were used and run a load thru the washer and put in the dryer and have a second load in the washer when we leave. We also throw out the food in the fridge as well as the cupboards, its a shame that the cleaners don't get to take the unopened food and water, since we have to get rid of everything.

Andrena
11-03-2010, 01:50
Even before we owned a villa we always washed the linens and left the place as clean as possible - I have the feeling that I would hate anyone to think I was a dirty housewife even although I probably would never meet them again.

But I have never had any guest complain about being asked to put on the laundry.

Andrena

Lyn
11-03-2010, 03:33
We have been fortunate recently in that whenever we have left the villa there has been no-one coming in that day so have been allowed to have a late check out. I strip the beds wash all the linens and remake the beds. Wash all the towels (except 1 hand towel which I need till the last minute). I put them all back in the cupboards or on the beds were I found them, I can even make a passable towel swan. When we leave I like to think that the villa is as we found it. However if we had to check out by 10am I would wash the sheets and then leave them in the tumble dryer with the towels in the washing machine.

tony2000
10-04-2010, 07:57
We had no problem putting a wash on before we left