PDA

View Full Version : New York-Florida-QE2 - Day5/6

Mo Green
01-09-2004, 05:17
Day 5/6 – Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

After leaving Gettysburg we quickly drove through Maryland and Virginia to West Virginia – our 5th state in 5 days. We arrived at the town of Front Royal, a small town with the main street lined with blossom covered trees. Tubs of yellow Forsythia bushes round the square were covered in colourful painted eggs for Easter – we wondered how long they would have remained in town centres back in the UK.

After collecting local guides we started on the 105 mile drive along the Skyline Drive, a road that winds along the crest of the mountains through the length of the Shenandoah National Park which is part of the Blue Ridge Mountains. There is a maximum speed limit of 35mph but with plenty of viewing points for pulling off and admiring the spectacular views.

As the road started to climb we drove through a forest and then past spectacular frozen waterfalls on the rocks at the side of the road. It was very cold and so windy we had to struggle to keep our cameras steady at times but the cold crisp day meant we had perfect views. At one point a family of deer stepped across the road and stopped to feed so close to the car I could almost touch them from the open window. We soon discovered that this was a far from rare sight. We kept seeing signs warning of bears but we did not stray too far from the road to look for them!. As we climbed from 2000-3000 feet we started to see snow which gradually got thicker as we climbed.

We had booked into the Skyline Resort which at 3,680 feet (slightly higher than Mount Snowdon) is on one of the highest points of the mountains. We discovered the weather had been so bad the resort had only re-opened ‘for summer’ two days ago. Accommodation is in ‘cabins’ which are 2 storey blocks containing about 16 rooms, built right on the edge of the mountain. Our room, on the second floor of Ravens Nest was almost the furthest point from the reception and dining block. Although very basic looking from the outside, inside it has all the amenities of a modern hotel and was beautifully warm. We drew back the curtains to find a large window with a door leading onto a balcony giving a stunning panoramic view of the valley and mountains on the far side. From our balcony we could see no sign of any of the other lodges although the resort has nearly 180 rooms. We had the perfect view of the setting sun

As it was about half a mile back to the Dining Room I suggested we drive by car rather than stumble on ice (or bears) in the dark. I did some rather large paw prints in the snow near our cabin but the only wildlife we saw was a skunk. (Some weeks after our trip a bear actually wandered into a local hospital down in the valley!)

We were given a table by the window and enjoyed an excellent meal looking down on the lights of the town below. Each evening the resort provides some kind of entertainment. That evening it was the local ‘Cloggers’ which is type of Irish dancing in clogs.

Day 6

In spite of the wind howling past our cabin we slept soundly. Although it was still below freezing out side we decided to walk to breakfast and were rewarded by seeing three deer hunting for grass amongst the frozen snow by the side of the path. It all seemed rather bizarre as we struggled along the icy paths with 30’s music playing from the Dining Room in the distance.

After a substantial breakfast (buck-wheat pancakes with blueberries and blackberry syrup) we checked out and discovered our bill for accommodation, dinner/drinks, and breakfast came to $155(£85) – amazing value – the view from our room was worth that.

We slowly finished our drive along the Skyline Drive, promising ourselves we would come back again, and started driving east towards Williamsburg with the temperature slowly rising.

We decided to look for lunch not far from Richmond and discovered a basic looking restaurant behind a ‘gas’ station. Once inside we were quickly reminded of how not to be put off restaurants by outside appearances. The very smart (and expensive) restaurant was filled with ‘ladie

caroline
01-09-2004, 12:05
Maureen do you have any photos you could post?

anna maria freak
01-09-2004, 12:15
Exellent Maureen keep them coming, cant wait

Lorraine :)

Mo Green
01-09-2004, 14:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
Maureen do you have any photos you could post?

[/quote]

Here goes Caroline - I have not tried this before so bear with me.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/200491101335_Project.JPG

This is the view of the Shenandoah valley from our balcony.

Maureen
http://orlandovillas.com/villaview.asp?villa=1267

Mo Green
01-09-2004, 14:18
Oops - actually three photographs which have got a bit distorted! Now I know how easy it is I will try to go back and put some in on previous days later today.

Maureen

caroline
01-09-2004, 16:03
Thanks Maureen, I want to do this trip even more now!

Ray&Sarah
02-09-2004, 00:02
What a view Maureen.:)

LesleyB
02-09-2004, 02:16
Hi Maureen - did it take long to plan the trip? It seems very meticulous and you have chosen some great places to stay so far. Did you book all accommodation in advance, or did you have some flexibility for delays etc? I must admit I would not know where to start to organise something this detailed. Well done, and keep on posting. We are all hooked.:D

Mo Green
02-09-2004, 03:47
It did take several evenings of pouring over the Internet Lesley. It is amazing how much info is out there.The Rand McNally site was very useful. The directions were spot on and it was easy to see how far we were travelling in a day. After registering with them, you can save 10 different routes so we started off with a direct route from New York to Florida, split it into about six sections and just kept tweaking the route as we discovered new things.

I did not find their 'What to do in the area' section particularly helpful but there are plenty of sites for each County/State.We did miss a few things out but we wanted to enjoy the trip and not rush from place to place. There is always another time. There are also good Tourist Information centres as you enter each State but we were glad we had chosen a route and did not waste time each day deciding where to go next.

We booked the first week accommodation over the Internet apart from the Syline Resort. We were getting a little anxious as they only took telephone bookings after March 28 and we left home on April 1st but we managed to get through to them on our first attempt. After the first week we had decided to book daily in case we got behind schedule and only made one bad error - as you will find out later!

Maureen