PDA

View Full Version : cats

derek gibson
31-08-2004, 02:27
hi can anybody tell me some info on cats, are they ok out there as we are moving to florida and we have three cats , can we take them , can they be let out etc thanks[?]

esprit
31-08-2004, 02:41
I kniw loads of people who have brought dogs in without problems so am guessing it is the same. If you ever want to take them back, you will need to get them chipped at least 6 months before. I know someone who went home to the UK and had to leave her cat here because she didnt have the forethought to sort this out in time. Otherwise they go into quarantine and that is very expensive,

blott
31-08-2004, 03:23
I've never seen a cat 'out' in Florida and I think they're probably kept inside all the time? I know all cats like to wander around by themselves but there's a lot of wildlife that a UK cat won't have come across before and won't necessarily be friends with!

fiona
31-08-2004, 16:57
There are a few cats wandering around Rolling Hills Blottie, but they look very tame! From dusk onwards all sorts of strange things are to be seen as well - I keep meaning to get a book on Florida wildlife so we can at least identify what we see!

I would agree that it may be unwise to let them roam far - depending on where you live. But there will be insects and snakes at the very least that they are not used to coming across.

chrizzy100
31-08-2004, 18:42
Skunks are the biggest problem when you let your cat outside...along with snake bites...so if you have them in your area.....never have a catdoor....if your cat gets into a fight and gets sprayed....your home will never be the same again...if the cat runs inside after.....[xx(][xx(]

kaysvacationvilla
31-08-2004, 20:22
My cats are known to catch and animal and then bring it into the house while it is still alive. The lastest was a baby rabbit. They stand at the door pretending everything is normal and then when you let the cat in they let the poor creature go when they get into the house. Up here in the north we really do not have to worry about snakes, but I would not want my cat in Florida to bring a snake in. Although, for all I know they may be too big in Florida for a cat to tackle.

Kay

chrizzy100
31-08-2004, 22:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla
My cats are known to catch and animal and then bring it into the house while it is still alive. The lastest was a baby rabbit. They stand at the door pretending everything is normal and then when you let the cat in they let the poor creature go when they get into the house. Up here in the north we really do not have to worry about snakes, but I would not want my cat in Florida to bring a snake in. Although, for all I know they may be too big in Florida for a cat to tackle.

Kay
[/quote]

My cat would bring in large grass snakes and put them under the rug in the kitchen....I'd be hoovering......feel the lump and have to remove the poor thing......

kaysvacationvilla
01-09-2004, 00:51
Here is one for the UK-US dictionary. Do they only sell hoover vacuum cleaners in the UK as you all tend to call it hoovering? Kay

chrizzy100
01-09-2004, 00:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla
Here is one for the UK-US dictionary. Do they only sell hoover vacuum cleaners in the UK as you all tend to call it hoovering? Kay
[/quote]

They sell alsorts in the UK.....I have no idea why most Brits call it hoovering......

derek gibson
01-09-2004, 01:56
thanks for all your replys ,sounds like it would be wize to keep them in :(

fiona
01-09-2004, 04:20
Hoover was the company that first sold vacuum cleaners and they marketed them as hoovers and the name stuck. Bit like jacuzzi who have since trademarked their particular bath, and others have to be referred to as an airbath.