PDA

View Full Version : Our first trip to Florida, Days 1-8

hadrian
30-08-2004, 19:50
We started planning our “holiday of a lifetime” back in December 2003 and decided to arrange everything ourselves rather than go through a travel agent. This was going to be an extended family holiday as I was taking my parents who had =never been to Florida before either. We had friends who had been to Florida before and gave us valuable advice and some very useful books that they found helpful.

The best book was Simon Veness’s “A Brit’s Guide to Orlando and Walt Disney World”. We actually were given a 2003 edition and I went out and brought the 2004 edition because I was so impressed. Our trips to the attractions were based solely around the busy day guide in this book and it seemed to work as we never had uncomfortable crowds.

I discovered this site whilst searching the internet and I have always found the advice here invaluable. The villa, car hire and attraction tickets were all booked through this site.

Day 1 (Saturday)

We had a short flight delay from Manchester to MCO via Virgin. We had decided to upgrade to Premium Economy and it was well worth the expense. US immigration was painless and we were at the Dollar check in desk within and hour and twenty minutes of landing. Car hire was not helped by a grumpy check in clerk but eventually we had our two cars (a 7 seater MPV and a standard saloon). We managed to get lost a few times getting to our villa in Oakpoint but at least in daylight and with our maps we eventually got there by late afternoon.

Publix was only 10 minutes drive away so the kids leapt into the pool and the rest of us headed off to buy essential supplies and had an early meal and an early night as we were exhausted.

Day 2 (Sunday)

I discovered after booking the holiday there would be an unmanned launch at the Cape on August 2nd at 2am. So we had planned our itinerary for Day 2 to be a rest day so we could set off for Kennedy Space Centre at 11pm for the launch. We had a quite day by the pool and ventured out for an evening meal at Pacino’s on the 192 for one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. It was then a short drive back to the villa to check the NASA web site and confirm the launch was still go, then we headed off to KSC.

The staff at Kennedy delayed boarding the buses for the lucky 900 people who were there until about 1am as the launch status was not 100%, we eventually boarded just after 1am and everyone was very excited. Unfortunately the launch was cancelled at T-minus 7 minutes so we had a long trip back to the villa and eventually got to bed at 4am. Day 3 of our valuable holiday was going to be another rest day, but we decided it was time to see the sights so we set the alarms for 9am!

Day 3 (Monday)

We had a late start after being up at 2am but eventually got out late morning and spent the rest of the day at Universal Studios. The best part was Terminator 2, great 3D effects and live action, and air conditioned!

Day 4 (Tuesday)

We spent the whole day at Seaworld. We decided to have an early start and were on the road by 9am. The Shamu Show and dolphin shows were spectacular. Wild Artic was excellent. It was not particularly crowded.

Day 5 (Wednesday)

Magic Kingdom, which was our first trip to a Disney Park since Disneyland Paris a few years ago. We spent the day here and again had an early start and were at the park for opening. We did all the rides we wanted to with minimal waits and had pre-arranged to head back to the villa at about 4pm for a cool off in the pool and a BBQ. We then returned to the park for the Spectromagic Parade and then Wishes which was one of the high pints of our holiday.

Day 6 (Thursday)

A rest day, we had a quite time by the pool in the morning. We drove along 192 in the afternoon and found a flea market to wander around. In the evening we tried a Ponderosa steak, scrummy!

Day 7 (Friday)

A day at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. We had learnt by now how important it was to get to the parks early, go straight to the attractions we wanted to see, then leave by mid afternoon when it became too hot and crowded. W

bridget
30-08-2004, 20:30
Oh what a shame about the launch!! Still, it sounds as though you had a great holiday so far.

chrisj
30-08-2004, 22:30
Hadrian

Shame the launch didnt go ahead, we missed it as well, mind you it was more through drinking and
not remembering more than anything