PDA

View Full Version : Brakes/Gears

Ann-Marie
30-08-2004, 16:36
Here's a question for all you budding florida drivers out there!

Having driven in the States a few times now, I'd like to know what the foot pedal thing that is usually found in the left-hand corner of the drivers seat footwell is for.

The first time I drove in the States, my car had a similar gearstick set up as we have in the UK, which you put into Park, drive, reverse etc.and had a normal handbrake accompanying it. The second time I hired a 7 seater from Alamo and had the stick-shift on the wheel and also a hand-brake (where you normally find it in the UK), however, this year I hired a 7 seater from Dollar and was confused as I had a stick-shift on the wheel but NO hand brake at the side. I felt really stupid as I went to ask the girl at the Garage where the hand-brake was, only to be told I only had to use the Park setting on the shift-stick, which I knew already but thought I also needed a handbrake too. However, she never explained what the pedal in the leftside of the footwell was for.

Am curious to find out what this is for.

Cheers

caroline
30-08-2004, 16:47
Well.. I've never driven a 7 seater but on my car (and my husbands) we don't have a 'hand' brake but we do have a park brake which is a pedal in the left hand corner of the footwell - it is released by a handle on the dash board.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-08-2004, 17:01
This reminds me of the last time I was in Florida with Roger (who always uses the handbrake - I never touch it myself). I got in the car after Roger driving it and it took me ages to realise why the car was so sluggish [msnembarrased]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
Well.. I've never driven a 7 seater but on my car (and my husbands) we don't have a 'hand' brake but we do have a park brake which is a pedal in the left hand corner of the footwell - it is released by a handle on the dash board.
[/quote]

Nostromo
30-08-2004, 17:28
That thing is a 'foot brake' and works on the same principle as a hand brake. We had a Ford E350 8-seater from Dollar this time and it had this foot brake instead of the handbrake. It took a bit of getting used to, but worked quite well overall. The only thing is, if you are wearing good shoes, be sure not to get them scuffed while operating the brake.

amy
30-08-2004, 17:36
Most Mercedes use the same principle in this country, The first time I got in one I couldn't find how to release it[:I]

blott
30-08-2004, 18:05
It's a handbrake for feet! There's normally a release catch somewhere nearby.

The most fun we had in a rental car was the first time we went to Florida and the passenger side had an automatic seat belt. As soon as you shut the passenger door, the seat belt started wrapping itself around my husband like a snake and frightened the life out of the two of us! :D

Ann-Marie
30-08-2004, 18:56
Thanks Guys

Blott:D:D:D:D

ravtino
31-08-2004, 23:41
The first time we took a car in Las Vagas the seat belts did that to us, boy did we wonder what was happening, I missed it when we came back.[8)]

sunseeker
03-09-2004, 23:20
Mercedes also use this type of brake in their manual cars, its hard juggling all these pedals on a hill start [msnwink]

Dave