PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Insurance for those with Health Problems

Theresa
19-09-2002, 03:03
If you have health problems and having trouble getting holiday insurance I saw this in the Daily Telegraph

A couple both over 70 and have cardiac and diabetes problems have bought annual insurance through Preferential Insurance, Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex for their six month stay in Florida for only £271 (for both of them). If they need to claim on either of the pre-disclosed problems, they would pay a £500 excess. The total amount of medical cover is £10 million. It covers them up to the age of 85.

Edited by - theresa on 19/09/2002 13:11:06

steph_goodrum
19-09-2002, 11:41
And it was such a good deal you couldn't believe your eyes so you read it 3 times eh Theresa?:)

Babblin Boo

Theresa
19-09-2002, 14:04
I just like repeating myself just in case no one heard me!!!!

Don't know what happened there.

T

blott
19-09-2002, 14:57
That's expensive!

Our annual insurance costs £110 and we have both cardiac and diabetes between us (both accepted conditions, ie we're covered for them) for trips in 12 months of 6 months total, 4 months limit each trip with an excess of £40. The insurance company also cover those up to the age of 75. From £80 - £148.50 depending on your age for annual family cover.

You can buy it online at http://www.kingfisherinsurance.com/

If anyone needs travel insurance info for 80+ year olds, let me know as we managed to get an annual policy for Mum for less than £80...

Blott

steph_goodrum
19-09-2002, 16:31
quote:I just like repeating myself just in case no one heard me!!!!

Force of habit when you've got children I expect Theresa.

Babblin Boo

Angua
16-10-2003, 14:51
Just been searching for info on Travel Insurance for those with pre-existing conditions. I'm just trying to find a cheaper alternative that my usual company. I have Crohn's Disease which is covered by most companies these days but because of surgical complications, frequent tests and hospital appointments, have difficulty getting coverage. I'll get a quote from the links mentioned above but can anyone give me some up-to-date recommendations?

I wouldn't mind but you don't even get a no-claims bonus!!! :D

Many thanks[8D]
Sarah.

blott
16-10-2003, 16:03
I'm still with Kingfisher Sarah so nothing more up to date to add really. I just ring them up and renew each year although you can also do this online.

Maureen Edwards
16-10-2003, 17:29
Sarah, Not sure if this will help you, but my daughter was diagnosed with 2 DVT's and got cover from Halifax with no excess. Give them a try.

Angua
16-10-2003, 17:36
Many thanks, Blott & Maureen.

I'll give them both a go and report back. The problem I have is simply the amount of tests and appointments I have over the year.

In the meantime, anybody with any other companies?

Cheers

135 days to go.....[8D]
Sarah

Gillian-B
16-10-2003, 22:29
I've found the problem with insurance is that if you've had a condition for more than six months, you can get cover alot easier than something that's just been diagnosed (even if it's a new diagnosis for something you may have had for years). This is because the companies deem the condition to be "controlled".

I also have to thank Blott. She mentioned Kingfisher in a previous thread and when I went to Florida in August knowing I needed an operation immediately on my return, they were the only company out of many I rang that would fully insure me (I'm glad I remembered her posting) - thanks :D.

Nostromo
21-01-2004, 14:13
These insurance bods are sometimes hard to understand. My inlaws are both 70+ and have arthritis and, in my father-in-law's case, high blood pressure. I did not get a good deal for Travel Insurance for them from most companies but American Express, who are usually expensive, offered to cover BOTH of them for a whole year for £202, with a max cover of £5 million EACH and max permitted stay of 3 months in any one place. I thought this was a good deal.

blott
21-01-2004, 15:42
It might look like a good deal but I think you'll find that Kingfisher are much cheaper (around £150, depending on their exact age) for the same amount of annual worldwide cover.

Nostromo
21-01-2004, 19:46
quote:Originally posted by blott

It might look like a good deal but I think you'll find that Kingfisher are much cheaper (around £150, depending on their exact age) for the same amount of annual worldwide cover.

No, they are not Blott. My father in law is 82 and on 3 medications. I beliove this makes a difference. Kingfisher quoted us £236.

SG
21-01-2004, 20:03
quote:Originally posted by blott

That's expensive!

If anyone needs travel insurance info for 80+ year olds, let me know as we managed to get an annual policy for Mum for less than £80...

Blott

Hi Blott

Did you get the travel insurance for your Mum through Kingfisher?

Thanks

Shirley

blott
21-01-2004, 22:15
No, Mum's insured with Nationwide as (I thought from their website and talking to them) that Kingfisher didn't insure over 75s.

SG
21-01-2004, 22:57
Hi Blott

Thanks for the info about Nationwide, I will remember that for my Mum who is in her 80's.

Shirley

poet123
24-01-2004, 03:42
we got cover for my mother in law from direct insurance which given health problems we thought was good especially comparedwith age concen who were horendously dear

lamina
28-01-2004, 19:20
we used these http://www.insureandgo.com/ for our trip over christmas and paid £64.11 for two of us .. even though i have a mild lung condition.. just a phone call to make sure it was ok. they were very helpful and it was sorted within 10 mins.

Angua
31-01-2004, 14:40
My thanks to Blott for the link to Kingfisher Travel Insurance. .:D:D:D:D

http://www.kingfisherinsurance.com/

For several years now, my husband and I have been paying well over the odds for travel insurance because I have Crohns' Disease (with some complications folowing surgeries) and I have several tests and hospital appointments each year, despite the fact that I have never needed to make a claim.:(

Kingfisher have just insured Hubbie and I for £72.00 and all I had to do was get a letter from my GP giving exact details of my condition and his happiness for me to travel, saving me at least £100 in the process.

Thanks, Blott. You're a Star!![msncool]

blott
31-01-2004, 15:31
Hey, a result! Glad it worked out for you Gillian-B and Sarah... [msncool]