PDA

View Full Version : Hints for new drivers in Orlando from UK

tuzanne
29-08-2004, 22:30
It is legal in America to overtake on the inside, so be careful when changing lanes.

Bear in mind that in Florida you can turn right at a Red Traffic light whenever safe to do so.

Always have quarters in the car ready for the tolls on highways, which only take exact change. The toll to Disney via Osceola Parkway from Terra Verde is an example of this. They ask for 75c toll but don#8217;t tell you that exact change is needed until you are committed to the slip road.

Sue

Nostromo
30-08-2004, 02:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tuzanne

Bear in mind that in Florida you can turn right at a Red Traffic light whenever safe to do so.

[/quote]

Not always. There are some traffic stops where one canot turn right on red at any time. These spots have clear signs marked "No Turning Right on Red" or something similar.

amy
30-08-2004, 02:54
These are normally near schools or areas with a lot of peds

blott
30-08-2004, 04:39
And don't forget you have to come to a definite stop first or you risk getting a ticket.

lisi
05-09-2004, 20:54
I second the "make sure you have some quarters with you"! Last year - my son had never driven in the States before and we missed a turning and ended up on an automatic toll - no going back - unmanned and no quarters! said something about an 80 dollar fine - he was quite worried and we fiddled about for ages and then went for it - lights flashed, bells rang - you never heard such a noise. We quite thought the police would come bearing down on us - however, we eventually got back on the right road but my son was very unnerved and we thought all holiday that we would be apprehended! To date we have heard nothing - but we are back again in October and who knows! [msntongue]

Lisi

blott
05-09-2004, 21:16
I think you only get hanged, drawn and quartered on your second offence Lisi! [msnwink]

pauline
06-09-2004, 00:42
Hi

Can anyone recommend a site for first time drivers in Florida as I too am a bit frightened

Thanks

blott
06-09-2004, 02:36
Don't worry Pauline, it's really easy as long as you remember to stay on the 'wrong' side of the road! ;)

chrizzy100
06-09-2004, 02:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
I think you only get hanged, drawn and quartered on your second offence Lisi! [msnwink]
[/quote]

On the Cape you do hard time..then you're hung drawn and quartered...its about the only crime our cops get.....hehehehehe

Nostromo
06-09-2004, 11:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pauline
Hi

Can anyone recommend a site for first time drivers in Florida as I too am a bit frightened

Thanks
[/quote]

When I had to drive for the first time in the USA, I was worried too. But it is an absolute doddle, even if you have never driven on the right side of the road. You'll get used to it very quickly and then chide yourself for having worried so much. What's more, it is actually enjoyable!

I used to know a site with advice and instructions for driving in the US. If I find it, I'll DM it to you.

Nostromo
06-09-2004, 11:04
OK, found 'em. Have DMed the sites to you. :)

Rhosyn
06-09-2004, 11:30
Nostromo
Can you DM me as well as I will be driving for the first time in February.
Thank you

Nostromo
06-09-2004, 13:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Beryl
Nostromo
Can you DM me as well as I will be driving for the first time in February.
Thank you
[/quote]

I have done so. But let us see if the links stay active if posted openly - since they are non-advert.

[website links edited - they both have adverts!]

pauline
06-09-2004, 23:21
Thanks Nostromo, very helpful to all.

Nostromo
07-09-2004, 11:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by Nostromo[/i
I have done so. But let us see if the links stay active if posted openly - since they are non-advert.

[website links edited - they both have adverts!]
[/quote]

Oh dear! I thought the editing applied only to the MAIN site content! These days it is awfully hard to find advert free links. Sorry Blott! [msnembarrased]

lisi
07-09-2004, 23:51
Hung, drawn and quartered - now I am really worried !!! Thanks Blott

It seems easy to drive on the other side of the road when you are in the passenger seat but I guess if I had to I would just get on with it! But everyone says that once you get started it is plain sailing but naturally you would be nervous to start with. I will leave it to my son I think as I am getting long in the tooth![msnsmile2]

Lisi

julieanne
08-09-2004, 20:05
Pauline

I was nervous about driving for the first time.
But it really was a doddle. The cars are great to drive and after a few miles on the "wrong side" of the road you are used to it. Just be careful when you first do a really wide left turn over a few lanes - it is a little tempting to go down the wrong carriageway!!

I'm sure you will love it once you get going I know I do. The only down side is - if you are the driver you miss some of the sights and the alcoholic drinks [msncry] But you can always make up for that once you get back to the villa :)

Kiddie001
16-09-2004, 18:15
1st timer- havent been yet (going 18th Oct), but I found this site with an area especially for UK visitors, which also has a very comprehensive driving section.
[website link edited]

HTH

Ian

If anyone wants the link (a very good site!), send me a DM

Nostromo
16-09-2004, 20:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kiddie001
1st timer- havent been yet (going 18th Oct), but I found this site with an area especially for UK visitors, which also has a very comprehensive driving section.

[website link edited]

HTH

Ian
[/quote]

Yes, that's a nice, useful site. It may also be within the acceptable rules for links and so hopefully will not be blotted out!;)[:o)]

<span style="color:green">Sorry!</span id="green">:)

chrizzy100
16-09-2004, 21:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kiddie001

[website link edited]

HTH

Ian
[/quote]

Yes, that's a nice, useful site. It may also be within the acceptable rules for links and so hopefully will not be blotted out!;)[:o)]
[/quote]

Blotted out.........too funny.........[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
16-09-2004, 21:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100[br
Blotted out.........too funny.........[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I hope that the Boss Lady thinks so too! [msnscared][msnscared]

Colin
17-09-2004, 00:12
Driving in US is fairly straight forward.

Problems we encountered ...

The road signage is extremely poor - especially for a tourist centre such as Orlando.

Also lanes generally disappear without warning - beware of that.

Roads can also become very tight corners without warning also.

One thing I particularly remember ...

Always, always look left before pulling out at a T-junction.

Colin

finishrich
17-09-2004, 01:40
when you pick up the hire car, find out where all the controls and buttons are before you set off. My DH set off and half way into the journey the heavens opened, and it was torrential rain, needless to say he couldn't find the control for the windscreen wipers and ended up with his head out the window to see where he was going. Can laugh about it now but was quite frightening at the time.

Tim Barry
17-09-2004, 02:00
Hi All

One good tip for those new to driving in the left handside of the car - keep your left foot out of it don't try as we have all done to use both feet. Just use the right foot.

Just another little tip don't try an dget out of your car of you get stopped by the police as they will feel threatened by that and you could end up seeing a gun barrel, so just pull over and stay in your car.

Tim

UK Jane
21-09-2004, 15:34
Blott

You seem to have missed the repealing of the 'hanging, drawing and quartering' for minor traffic offences.

It has been replaced by 'boiling in oil'.

Other than that you are spot on ... driving in the US is actually a pleasure. Then you land back at Heathrow on a cold wet morning, and join the traffic jam on the M25.

Now, let me see, how long is it until I am back in Florida again ......?

tezz7628
08-10-2004, 03:24
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/tezz7628/2004107195722_Traffic_light_4.gif (http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/ )

an example of the sequence on traffic lights

flyrr100
01-11-2004, 19:55
The thing most folks get stopped for are speeding and not stopping. Americans tend to follow the speed limits more than Europeans. It's crazy. I have a Mustang that can exceed 140mph, but I drive it on a freeway with a limit of 65mph!
Stop at a stopsign. Stop at a stopsign. Stop at a stopsign! You will get a ticket!

Oh. The entrances to DisneyWorld are notorious speet traps. It's 45mph in DW. State Troopers love to ticket rental cars comming into the parks.

Enjoy!

E. Cosgrove
01-11-2004, 20:11
Been there, done that and as you say, quite frightening[msnscared]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by finishrich
My DH set off and half way into the journey the heavens opened, and it was torrential rain, needless to say he couldn't find the control for the windscreen wipers and ended up with his head out the window to see where he was going. Can laugh about it now but was quite frightening at the time.
[/quote]

Nostromo
01-11-2004, 20:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
The thing most folks get stopped for are speeding and not stopping. Americans tend to follow the speed limits more than Europeans. It's crazy. I have a Mustang that can exceed 140mph, but I drive it on a freeway with a limit of 65mph!
Stop at a stopsign. Stop at a stopsign. Stop at a stopsign! You will get a ticket!

Oh. The entrances to DisneyWorld are notorious speet traps. It's 45mph in DW. State Troopers love to ticket rental cars comming into the parks.

Enjoy!
[/quote]

I know and agree with what you say Flyrr100, but the funny thing is, I never seem to get the urge to drive fst in the US. It might be partly the fear of being ticketed in a foreign land, but at least some of it is due to the fact that other drivers in the US, particularly in Orlando, do not tend to 'challenge' you like they do so often in the UK. The entire traffic flow is smooth, orderly and automatically keeps to the limit. My wife says that I am a far better driver in America than in the UK; she may have something there.

flyrr100
02-11-2004, 20:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

[i]My wife says that I am a far better driver in America than in the UK; she may have something there.

Remember, roads here were designed for large cars. Roads in UK cities were designed with horses and carts in mind!

Nostromo
02-11-2004, 21:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100

[i]
Remember, roads here were designed for large cars. Roads in UK cities were designed with horses and carts in mind!

Yes, I had thought of that. That's why you seldom get stressed even on single lane roads in the US (except cities). They are ususally straight and even if one encounters a slow vehicle going in the same direction, you get the chance to go around it fairly quickly.

I am going to drive the entire North Carolina stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway in late Spring next year and am looking forward to it.:):)