PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back a bike

Mrs Brizzle
25-08-2004, 01:01
Hi,
I wonder if you can advise me on a shopping topic. I want to buy my 4 year old daughter a bike for christmas. I have seen a Barbie one on the Walmart website for a third of the price they are over here. The problem is getting it back! Will I be able to wrap the box and put it on as luggage? I have seen various oversized things on luggage belts at the airport before but have never bought anything so large myself so I don't know the rules. We are flying Virgin if that helps. Or maybe I could post it?
cheers
Heidi

chrisj
25-08-2004, 02:01
I think if you contact Virgin, they should be able to advise you on the best option open to you.

I could imagine the cost to post a bike would be quite high and might
not be worth it, but im sure if you start with Virgin they might let
you take it as luggage

amy
25-08-2004, 02:27
If it is packed right I cant see a problem but as Chris says the best place to enquire is with Virgin.
When we last arrived back in Manchester the PIA flight had just arrived and it was amazing to see what some people had brought with them, alot not boxed and just strung together.

jeffc
25-08-2004, 04:03
hi

we have brought a bike home from florida before the advice i would give is to leave it in the box it comes in some stores want to build it up then you have to dismantle it yourself...

as you say you can save quite a bit and they dont weigh much nowadays either...

porky
25-08-2004, 12:22
My husband has bought several bikes home over the years, not from Florida admittedly, but from the USA. He flew with Northworst airlines and all he had to do was leave the bike in the box and then pay $8 for the airline to put another box round it. Mind you the $8 was the cost some 10 years ago so the price now would be higher - still not equal to the cost of a bike over here.

Jacqui

Andy & Arlene
25-08-2004, 12:57
We have also taken home several bikes over the years. Definately leave it in the box and make sure it's sealed up. Have never been charged any extra either.

Floridalover
25-08-2004, 23:22
No problem on BA, I brought mine back in June from Miami, handlebars have to sideways, tyres deflated and pedals removed. I wrapped it in bubble wrap too. If its still boxed even better.

:)

Mrs Brizzle
26-08-2004, 11:06
Thanks guys,
sounds like I can bring a bike back for christmas then :D
cheers
Heidi

starkie
25-09-2004, 21:31
Heidi,
We have just bought two mountain bikes for our villa from Walmart.
They did not come boxed, and it seemed that they had built up the bikes and that was how they are purchased. However, they may have a boxed one in the storeroom but please check.

Julie