PDA

View Full Version : US Embassy interviews ?

RUSHBURY
21-08-2004, 21:28
Hi
We've applied for an E2 visa
What are the interviews for visa applications like?
Do the children get asked awkward questions?
Any comments much appreciated.

esprit
21-08-2004, 23:46
Two minutes in front of a railway station like window after an enormously long wait. They asked us why we wanted to live in Florida amd what business we had bought. They then asked my 17 year old son what he was going to be doing there and then which school he would be going to and what grade he was going into. Older kids get more of a quizzing than little ones I would think. They are quite stoney faced and humourless so expect that. If you are successful , you go and pay up and they insist on mailing your passports back to you.

RUSHBURY
22-08-2004, 02:35
Thanks Esprit - I have 3 children 17 , 14 and 8. I know the 8 year old won't have to attend but was concerned about the older one's whether they would be grilled or just asked normal type questions.

esprit
22-08-2004, 05:25
He will be grilled about what he is going to be doing, what school or college he is going to and what grade etc. If he isnt going to a school or college, he will only be allowed to stay with you until 18. the dependants visa until 21 is only provided they remain in fulltime education. Ph and they also asked hom how he felt about moving to live in America at his age. If they believe he may be working in your business with you rather than going to school, the problems will start.

Dare I ask what sort of business you are buying?

RUSHBURY
22-08-2004, 14:32
Existing lawn maintenance business - currently has 70 accounts.

My 17 year old daughter wants to go to college and wants to work in real estate - so she knows what she wants to do with her life. My 14 year old daughter wants to be a Physical Education teacher - she is sport mad.

All 3 children can't wait to move.

esprit
22-08-2004, 20:45
Your 17 year old cannot go to college and work in real estate on E2. She can go to college until 21 years old but to stay in the US needs to take a bachelors degree in order to get HIB visa. And then get labor certification which means there is no American who could do the job. Laugh a lot. One in ten Floridians is a realtor. They dont need any more!!!!! Moreover you wont get a work visa as a realtor as they are all self employed here, and on commission only and 99% of the homes are sold by 5% of the realtors. Realty is also not a degree profession, it is a license and can be done with a weeks training and two exams. The real estate schools are producing 150 realtors a week. The English people who are working in realty here are not doing it on a work based visa but on another visa or a dependants work permit. Spouses can get dependants work permits, kids cant, they need H1B. And to get HIb you need a bachelors degree and labor certification. On their own E2 visa, they cannot even work for you or do a paper round.

Moreover, I doubt she will have a easy time getting into college at all without US quailifications. They dont understand GSCE, AS and A levels here, you need high school transcripts, a GPA and high school graduation certificate. She needs to do at least one year possibly two at high school, and then totally review what she wants to be and do something at college that the Yanks need (they certainly dont need another realtor!!) For God sake source a school out for her and make arrangements and when they ask her at the interview say she is going to high school, otherwise you may be in for a rough ride.

Lawncare. Blooming hard work, especially this weather, I hope your husband likes the sun. 70 isnt many contracts unless they are big ones. DM me for my email address, talk to me.

chrizzy100
22-08-2004, 22:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Your 17 year old cannot go to college and work in real estate on E2. She can go to college until 21 years old but to stay in the US needs to take a bachelors degree in order to get HIB visa. And then get labor certification which means there is no American who could do the job. Laugh a lot. One in ten Floridians is a realtor. They dont need any more!!!!! Moreover you wont get a work visa as a realtor as they are all self employed here, and on commission only and 99% of the homes are sold by 5% of the realtors. Realty is also not a degree profession, it is a license and can be done with a weeks training and two exams. The real estate schools are producing 150 realtors a week. The English people who are working in realty here are not doing it on a work based visa but on another visa or a dependants work permit. Spouses can get dependants work permits, kids cant, they need H1B. And to get HIb you need a bachelors degree and labor certification. On their own E2 visa, they cannot even work for you or do a paper round.

Moreover, I doubt she will have a easy time getting into college at all without US quailifications. They dont understand GSCE, AS and A levels here, you need high school transcripts, a GPA and high school graduation certificate. She needs to do at least one year possibly two at high school, and then totally review what she wants to be and do something at college that the Yanks need (they certainly dont need another realtor!!) For God sake source a school out for her and make arrangements and when they ask her at the interview say she is going to high school, otherwise you may be in for a rough ride.

Lawncare. Blooming hard work, especially this weather, I hope your husband likes the sun. 70 isnt many contracts unless they are big ones. DM me for my email address, talk to me.

[/quote]

Lawncare is a hell of a job....even with a sit and ride mower....70 contracts going by what I pay my gardener is $3500 a month.....not a lot.....but with the amount of houses going up....more gardeners will be needed I'm sure......my gardener does mine and my neighbours house in an hour.......thats two of them......sometime 3 come if they are edging.......I wish I had them here on Cape right now....we are cutting back trees for the winter......I hate that job.......[msncry]