PDA

View Full Version : first time driving

ravtino
19-08-2004, 21:22
We have just returned from three weeks in Orlando and out of the 5 times we have been this was the first time my hubby and I have drove, I have to admit that before we went I was worried and if anyone had seen me in the car park they would have had a laugh but after driving around the lot, off we went, and all I can say is - it was brill!!!
We had great directions from the airport to the villa which of course helps. Loved our jeep (hired from this site)Carn't wait to go back and do it again[msncool][msncool]

brizzle
19-08-2004, 22:10
Same experience we had when we drove on our third trip, fantastic.
We had quite easily managed before with public transport, hotel shuttles etc... but the car was a different league.
The flexibility added hugely to our holiday.

I aslo found it extremely relaxing and great fun for some reason...weird

Brizzle.

Nostromo
20-08-2004, 01:12
I was very worried the first time that I drove in America back in 1991, since that was my first time on the 'wrong' side of the road. We landed and picked up the car at Denver airport and covered over 2500 miles in the next 2 weeks through the Rockies. It was easier than driving in the UK.

linda.s
20-08-2004, 03:54
I found it easier too! Hubby hates flying, so he tends to have a few "halves" in the bar before we go, and a couple on the plane too! So I have to stay sober and drive! On my first visit I was worried, but I needn't have been. Very relaxed, and no real problems with being on the other side apart from the inability to disginguish my left from right! I found it very weird to move to the centre of the road to turn left, and kept calling it right! I knew what I meant, but no-one else did! When I was navigating, hubby took to watching where my arms were pointing, rather than listening to me, he found it more accurate!

I also had to go to Detroit for a week on business last year, and again, found driving very easy. My main issue whilst there was with Multimap. I arrived in Detroit on Saturday, and had Sunday and Monday as days to explore on my own. Spent a day at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village - It was lovely, then unfortunately the Monday rained all day. However, I pulled out the maps I had printed before leaving, and decided to visit Belle Isle, on the water between Detroit and Canada. Followed the directions to the letter, and I ended up in 8 Mile Road (yes, the same as the Eminem film!) Was not a place you wanted to frequent in daylight! According to Multimap I had reached my destination, but I was 8 miles from the shore. Hastily wound up my windows, locked my doors, and drove back to the hotel and ordered a movie! Never mind, maybe next time!