PDA

View Full Version : just back from port charlotte!!

the teacher
18-08-2004, 14:33
hi everyone
we arrived back on sunday from our maiden stay at our new home on rotonda. the 2 weeks was not a breeze(pardon the pun) by any stretchbof the imagination. we were a party of 5 made up of my wife gill, 89 year old mother kath, travelling friends andy and anna and myself. andy and anna's virgin flight was delayed by some 6 hours and consequently they missed their connections in new york, and thus arrived a day late. an omen maybe??
the weather for the first week was terrible but our new home was wonderful, so we were in good spirits, mostly gin and spiced rum actually.
during the first weekend my mother had a fall during the night and was very weak for a couple of days and needed a lot of attention. she had another fall agian during the night and we were in for a few days of nursing and positivity to ensure we made it throuigh to the flight home.
AND THEN.......
along came charley.
we were glued to the tv along with thousands of others watching the minute by minute coverage of the hurricanes changes in direction and upgrading of category. andy and anna decided to go home a day early from fort myers and i drove them there on thursday morning. that was unpleasant enough.
that night i didn't sleep a wink thinking about all the different scenarios facing the 3 of us. during the night there was a bad thunderstorm which i thought might be the early arrival of charley, naive or what??
the next morning we had decided to stay put and told our mc exactly that. our choices seemed to be
1 drive to sarasota airport and check in to a loocal hotel...no rooms.
2 drive to one of the shelters mentioned as abailable in the port charlotte area
3 stay put and cross our fingers.
at about 9.30 am the tv guy sdaid that all low lying areas with flood insurance premiums should evacuate immediately as the hurricane was being upgraded to a 3 and the storm surge from the gulf could be as high as 15ft.
you've guessed it, we bottled it and got our stuff together and made straight for.....port charlotte!!
our first port of call was a shelter at an elementary school called Liberty, hmmm!
this place was a school dining hall with a series of lonf thin benches and people had brought their own pillows, blankets etc etc
the sheriff told us about a special needs shelter 2 or 3 miles away which might be able to take my mother. we drove there like mad things and just made it after a lengthy check in process(fair enough).
the place was church hall. not like english church halls but more like a sports hall and designed as a hurricane shelter with all the necessary shutters etc etc
it was packed out and beds were only for the special needs not there carers, but we felt so much better. the hurricane arrived late afternoon, time seemed to be in a kind of limbo, weird. the roof started to shake and water started to pour through the ceiling in a number of places, one of the doors was about to blow and this apparently would have caused the roof to go due to the pressure if on e of the resident fire dept guys hadn't found the vent to open.
charley was right over the top of us and the eye gave us a coyulple of minutes respite when loads of the olfd folk thought it had finished only for the winds to attack the other side of the building.
everywhere people were praying and that actually didn't do a lot for my confidence.
eventually it passed on by and we all settled down to try and rest. at 3am we were shocked to hear that the building would have to be evacuated as it was now deemed to be unsafe!! so the most elderly and infirm,not my mum, were taken in a convoy of yellow school buses to sarasota which had been largely unscathed (typical i thought!). we were not allowed to leave until 6.45am as it was thought to be too dangerous to drive in the dark and possibly cause more problems for the emergency services.
i'll stop here and just thank someone that we are all home safely. we still don't know a bout our gorgeous brand new gulf coast/golf course home. the mc has said superficial damage and that's all i've had.
we have been

ncmurray
18-08-2004, 18:07
What an awful experience[msnsad] How is your mother now? You must have been so dissappointed, having waited so long for your villa, and then to have such a disastrous time there! Well, look on the bright side, your next visit HAS to be better:)

E. Cosgrove
18-08-2004, 20:26
It must have been the worst possible experience. I am glad you are all safe, elderly people are often extremely resiliant and I hope your mum makes a complete recovery and is able to impress her friends with her adventures..... that sounds as if Iam trying to make light of your situation and that is certainly not the case, I guess what Iam trying to sat is that the awfulness of the situation will fade with time. Lastly although I am sure at the moment you don't want to think about it, I hope your lovely home recovers and that you a able to enjoy many more Florida holidays ( outside hurricane season!!)

andrewmckay5
18-08-2004, 20:41
Welcome back Lyn.
andrew and katy

the teacher
18-08-2004, 20:43
thanks nuala:)
just heard that my mum is in hospital again so we'll have to see how she copes.
the house has some damage to the pool cage and some fascia at the rear of the house. renters are due in on august 28th , the current renters stayed in orlando.
still at least we are safe and back in our homes unlike the poor people of port charlotte and punta gorda.

lyn

the teacher
18-08-2004, 20:50
thanks liz,andrew and katy we appreciate your kind words and have already booked our 2 weeks next easter(school hols), all that wasted income!![msnwink]
we love the area and it will pick up in time and us going ove and spending our few bucks will help the locals a bit.
once again many thanks for your kind words.
lyn

lisi
23-08-2004, 23:47
Well done for getting that off your chest - it must have been awful. We don't really have much idea over here quite how strong the wind can be do we. We are going to the rotunda in October and am wondering if the damage will be mainly cleared up by then. Hope you get to enjoy your new villa in more pleasant circumstances[8D]
Lisi