PDA

View Full Version : Our Trip 3 -24 August Day12

KevinTHFC
18-08-2004, 05:12
We decided to stay around the pool for the morning in an effort to get some sun whilst swimming as most afternoons have been at the least very cloudy and the worst very wet. The weather was fantastic and a great time was had by all. Before heading out to Sea World for the evening we decided to pop into the Walmart on the 27 at Haines City. What an eye opener this turned out to be. There was 9 police cars parked outside the store and we wondered if it was safe togo inside - was there a robbery taking place? Turned out that Walmart were providing a limited amount of free ice and the police were there to ensure fair distribution and to control the crowds when supplies run out. Haines City was still without power and Walmart was running on a generator, the locals were obviously in a bad way there was no fuel in the gas stations and the food and water on the shelves in Walmart was very limited. People were queuing out of the door for the ice. it was as if we had been transported to a third world country. Unbelievably just 5 miles back up the 27 and you would have no idea of the suffering that must be going on in Haines City. I think we were very lucky, we didn't even loose power!

Kevin

stabard
18-08-2004, 16:51
I think this is a problem - people have no idea what is going on just up the road.

I think this will be a holiday to remember Kevin.