PDA

View Full Version : Our Trip 3 -24 August Days 8-9

KevinTHFC
14-08-2004, 07:26
Well day 8 was fairly quiet and 9 was a nightmare[msncry]

We are staying at Four Corners, which is halfway between the I4/I27 junction and the I27/192 junction. We went to the Mall at Millenia in the morning which although a bit more expensive is well worth a visit even if you do not like shopping. We will be going back as the mall closed at 13:00 due to hurricane Charley.

We returned to the villa intending to pick up some supplies from the I27 Publix but it was already closed when we got there at about 14:00 even though the storm wasn't due to reach us until 20:00.

Sat watching the TV with non stop updates on Charley. Blimey from the morning when it was said to be coming to land at Tampa and then quickly going North and missing us we were suddenly directly in the path of a catergory 4 hurricane[msnoo] due to come overhead at about 20:00.

At 18:00 George stabbed himself with a pair of kitchen scissors in the hand, panic[msncry] Not sure what to do we attempted to stick together the gaping wound with thin strips of elastaplast and then put a plaster over the whole thing. George, who had thrown up twice due to the shock, seemed quite happy but we were a bit worried, had we done the right thing? Should we take him to a medical center? Theres a bloody hurricane on the way!

We decided in the end to risk a drive down the I27 to the Hearts of Florida Medical Center to get his hand looked at. On checking in we wre told that if he needed stitches we would not be allowed to leave as the hurricane was very close and it would be too dangerous[msneek]

Anyway a doctor was impressed with our handywork and said that it would have probably been OK but as we were there she would clean it and glue it up. Thirty seconds later the job was done[msnsmile2] unbelievably this cost me over $470[msnmad]. I'm now hoping that the travel insurance I bought over the internet now comes through!

I don't think that the villa has suffered any damage although we did have water ingress through the front door and the pool is looking very full!

It will be interesting to see what damage has been caused in the morning in the surrounding area as the eye of the storm passed about 5 miles away from us.

Hope everyone else survived OK

Kevin

Nostromo
14-08-2004, 12:42
Nice report Kevin. Could you tel us a bit more about your first hand experience of 'Living through Charley'? Seems more suspenseful than any ride!

Insurance or otherwise, charging $470 for a trivial medical job like that is an absolute disgrace. A UK practice nurse would have done an equally good job at no cost to you and a lollipop for your son.