PDA

View Full Version : Old Folk!!!!!!!!!HiH

lynn and ray
12-08-2004, 14:20
Hi

Next February we are going to take my in laws out to Disney and Seaworld for the first times in their lives.

BUT they are in their mid seventies and quite fit.

Has anyone any helpful tips regarding old folk in the parks as unlike us they cannot queue for hours and stand although they do not come under the category of disabled.

They will be able to see the shows and 3d cinemas although i wont put them on space mountain!!!!!!!

Would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-08-2004, 15:08
There's some good advice at the following link:

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/florida_elderly.aspx

KevinT
12-08-2004, 16:29
Hi Lynn & Ray,
My mother - in - law who is 75 (and fitter than both of us)travels out with us twice a year as her other daughter lives and has a business in Orlando. She has undertaken quite strenuous flight schedules (sometimes via Amsterdam) and thrives on it!
When we go to the parks , she is quite happy to sit in the sun watching the world go by, while we queue for the rides,(obviously in the full heat we try to find a shadier spot for her!) and likes nothing better than shopping trips to Walmart / Target / Florida Mall etc. We try to involve her in the 3/4D shows and some of the gentler rides and she manages just fine. I think the warm climate seems to help with her Arthritis and gives her a new lease of life.
As you say, if you don't get them on the Hulk or Space Mountain they will probably love it!!

Hope you have a great time!
KevinT.

Nostromo
12-08-2004, 17:46
This Spring we took my in-laws aged 82 and 75 respectively. Both are reasonably fit for their ages, but a bit slowed by arthritis. We allowed the following:

- Allowing for their slower pace and so longer time to see the parks than usual.
- Allow rest days in between for the old folk to recharge their batteries.
- Take plenty of water to the parks and while touring, allow them adequate rest & refreshment.
- Always try to get FPs for the big rides; if they don't want to go, arrange for them to rest in a shady area while the rest of you are in the queue.
- Include places like The World of Orchids, Winter Park, Cypress Gardens (reopening soon) which a lot of elderly folk enjoy.

Hope this helps.

lynn and ray
12-08-2004, 22:41
Thanks all for the info.

Will take your advice.

Its nice that the old folk want to "give it a go" so to speak.

I am taking my mum in a few weeks time and she has arthritus and has had a hip replacement but that didnt stop her going on the sling shot!

Im hoping the warm weather will help the pain.

orlandobabe
10-10-2004, 08:34
you can hire the motor scooters at about $30 each-very handy at Seaworld as their is quite a few slopes to get up.

SunLover
18-10-2004, 18:15
Just make sure they have plenty of fluids during the day, and don't let them sit in full sunlight for extended periods.

I took my folks, both mid 70's in May, and they were up for everything.

General common sense and trying not to cram too much into one day is definitely the way to go.

Have a great time :D

daxon
18-10-2004, 18:55
Decide when you are going to eat during the day. I've found its better to plan a 'proper sit-down' meal at lunch if you are early starters or at tea time if you are late starters. Find out at guest services as soon as you get to the park which restaurants are available & book a table. That way you can schedule a good sit down in a cool air-conditioned room for everyone to re-charge their batteries!![msncool]

Ray&Sarah
18-10-2004, 19:58
My parents who are in their 60's always come to Orlando with us, sometimes they choose to come to the parks and sometimes they stay at the villa. When they do come to the parks they are more than happy to sit in a shady area and "people watch" as they call it, when they don't want to go on the rides.[msnsmile2]

julieanne
20-10-2004, 20:23
My "olds" come with us. Both in their mid 70's and they love Florida as much as us. Obviously they find it tiring especially with the heat.
They like to eat early which is sometimes a bit of a nuisance - but then again we get all the early bird specials...

And they won't drive..

All things considered they cope marvellously with the journey and the hols in general